wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
7 years ago
It is time for GB to invest a draft pick in a punter. There are a few available this year. 6th and 7th round picks so rarely make a significant contribution to the team why not use it for a punter instead?

Austin Rehkow, P, Idaho
Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
Projected Round (2017): 5-7.
2/4/17: In 2016 Rehkow averaged 41.6 yards per punt and made a long of 60 yards. He also kicked field goals for Idaho and made 26-for-29 with a long of 50 yards.

8/20/16: Rehkow has been a model of consistency over three seasons. He averaged 47.8 yards per punt as a freshman and sophomore. Rehkow had long punts of 73 and 65 yards, respectively, so he has a powerful leg as well. As a junior, Rehkow averaged 45.7 yards per punt with a long of 65 yards.

Justin Vogel, P, Miami
Height: 6-4. Weight: 208.
Projected Round (2017): 6-FA.
2/4/17: In 2016, Vogel averaged 44 yards per punt with a long of 63 yards.

8/20/16: In 2015, Vogel averaged 42.5 yards per punt. After not winning the punting job at Florida, he transferred to Miami and took over as the Hurricanes punter in 2014. Vogel averaged 43 yards per punt with a long of 65 yards the season. He also had 12 punts over 50 yards and 21 placed inside the 20-yard line. His father, Paul, played linebacker for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Houston Oilers.

Cameron Johnston, P, Ohio State
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected Round (2017): 6-FA.
2/4/17: Johnston punted really well in 2016 with an average of 46.7 yards per punt. He made a long punt of 70 yards.

8/20/16: Urban Meyer takes a lot of pride in special teams play, so it says something that Johnston took over as a freshman punter in 2013. The freshman averaged 44 yards per punt that year and followed it up with an average of 45.1 yards as a sophomore in 2014. Johnston had long punts of 73 and 71 yards, respectively, in those season. In 2015, he averaged 44 yards per punt.

Toby Baker, P, Arkansas
Height: 6-3. Weight: 215.
Projected Round (2017): 7-FA.
2/4/17: In 2016, Baker averaged 44.4 yards per punt with a long punt of 60 yards. He averaged 41.2 yards per punt as a junior. Baker made it to the Senior Bowl.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017PU.php#JBfRYIzdxpmMzsE1.99 

Rehkow looks the most interesting while Vogel is one I would pass on. I don't trust punters or kickers who played in Florida. There's is a huge difference between Florida in October and Green Bay in December.

My second choice would be Johnston.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
I don't like the idea for us. We draft so poorly up high that the end of the draft has been a saving grace.

Absolutely need better than Schum sail away with me at Punter. We use UDFA to find starting CBs so I can't imagine using a pick for a punter.

My guess is we'll just pick up the best punter who doesn't beat out the incumbent in someone else's camp instead of what we did last year which was the reverse.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

I don't like the idea for us. We draft so poorly up high that the end of the draft has been a saving grace.

Absolutely need better than Schum sail away with me at Punter. We use UDFA to find starting CBs so I can't imagine using a pick for a punter.

My guess is we'll just pick up the best punter who doesn't beat out the incumbent in someone else's camp instead of what we did last year which was the reverse.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

Ted has had 36 draft picks in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Who besides Crosby really stands out? Jolly, Bishop, Jones, Barrington, Janis and Ripkowski have had various degrees of success but not overwhelming. Starks was a solid pick. Nearly every other one wasn't worth the jersey. Perhaps, like Crosby, a new punter will be. It can't be any worse use of a pick.

2005 6 Mike Montgomery DT
2005 6 Craig Bragg WR
2005 7 Kurt Campbell DB
2005 7 Will Whitticker G

2006 6 Johnny Jolly DT
2006 6 Tyrone Culver DB
2006 7 Dave Tollefson DE

2007 6 Korey Hall LB
2007 6 Desmond Bishop LB
2007 6 Mason Crosby K
2007 7 DeShawn Wynn RB
2007 7 Clark Harris TE

2008 7 Matt Flynn QB
2008 7 Brett Swain WR

2009 6 Jarius Wynn DE
2009 6 Brandon Underwood DB
2009 7 Brad Jones LB

2010 6 James Starks RB
2010 7 C.J. Wilson DE

2011 6 Caleb Schlauderaff G
2011 6 D.J. Smith LB
2011 6 Ricky Elmore DL
2011 7 Ryan Taylor TE
2011 7 Lawrence Guy DT

2012 7 Andrew Datko OL
2012 7 B.J. Coleman QB

2013 6 Nate Palmer LB
2013 7 Charles Johnson WR
2013 7 Kevin Dorsey WR
2013 7 Sam Barrington LB

2014 6 Demetri Goodson DB
2014 7 Jeff Janis WR

2015 6 Aaron Ripkowski FB
2015 6 Christian Ringo DE
2015 6 Kennard Backman TE

2016 6 Kyle Murphy T
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago
Desmond Bishop stands out. Janis and Rip are excellent ST players. Flynn was a fine backup for us.

Barrington strated for us but sucked.

Charles Johnson was a very intriguing prospect whom our med staff screwed the pooch with. Started for Minnesota.

Ryan Taylor, CJ Wilson, DJ Smith, Korey Hall, Mike Montgomery, Will Whitticker and both Wynn's all had contributions albeit none were very good.

Brad Jones was one of our classic overpay guys.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

Desmond Bishop stands out. Janis and Rip are excellent ST players. Flynn was a fine backup for us.

Barrington strated for us but sucked.

Charles Johnson was a very intriguing prospect whom our med staff screwed the pooch with. Started for Minnesota.

Ryan Taylor, CJ Wilson, DJ Smith, Korey Hall, Mike Montgomery, Will Whitticker and both Wynn's all had contributions albeit none were very good.

Brad Jones was one of our classic overpay guys.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

So I am glad you agree only 3 players out of 36 were players that contributed. At least a decent punter won't be a backup qb who ever sees the field.
UserPostedImage
luigis
7 years ago
The punter is only important if the team has a good defense.
It really doesn't matter if you pin them to the 5 yard line if they complete a 35 yard pass in their first play.

Rarely does a good punter make a difference in a game, I can only remember a Matt Scifres game where he really won the game for the chargers.

We can bring a street free agent to compete with Schum and see what happens but we can't and won't go beyond that.
Luis
wpr
  • wpr
7 years ago

It really doesn't matter if you pin them to the 5 yard line if they complete a 35 yard pass in their first play.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

Right and the players GB has selected in the 6th and 7th rounds for the past 12 years have not helped. Don't look for them this year. The odds are better finding the defensive help from the UDFAs and getting the better quality punter who can pen the opposition deep.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
7 years ago

I think a great punter matters a lot.

The Bears used excellent special teams to be a force under Lovie. Their punter, Maynard. was instrumental to their success. They also had a great D as luigis noted as important.

Packers missed Craig Hentrich for years. He's never really been replaced.

Wouldn't hate drafting a punter but BJ Sander flashbacks linger.
UserPostedImage

Cheesey
7 years ago
A GREAT punter helps. An average one, not so much.
It wouldn't hurt to bring several guys in too fight for the job.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
7 years ago

Rarely does a good punter make a difference in a game, I can only remember a Matt Scifres game where he really won the game for the chargers.

We can bring a street free agent to compete with Schum and see what happens but we can't and won't go beyond that.

Originally Posted by: luigis 

I think you mean 35 yard pass on 3rd down, not 1st play.
Fan Shout
beast (7h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (8h) : damn those vikings
beast (9h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (9h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (9h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (9h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (9h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (16h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (16h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.