FLORIDA PACKER88
6 years ago

Rookie sixth-rounder hopes to be Packers' next Day 3 gem

Continue Reading @ Packers 

Packers wrote:

I'm really really excited to see this kid develop. I think he might be the future LG and has the athletic potential to be on of the best we've had. He has just as much potential to get cut from the roster by next year though, SUPER RAW. He might be my favorite pick of this draft.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I'm really really excited to see this kid develop. I think he might be the future LG and has the athletic potential to be on of the best we've had. He has just as much potential to get cut from the roster by next year though, SUPER RAW. He might be my favorite pick of this draft.

Originally Posted by: FLORIDA PACKER88 

I hope he develops fast. He probably won't have 3 yrs to figure it all out.

UserPostedImage
warhawk
6 years ago
One thing I see in common with a lot of this years picks is how athletic most all of them are. King, Jones, Adams, Biegel, all really good athletes.
They signed an UDFA Inside LB that high jumped 6'8" in high school. That's pretty incredible. I wonder if any ILB playing in the NFL can say they did that. Crazy how athletically gifted these guys are.
"The train is leaving the station."
Barfarn
6 years ago
Reviewed Kofi’s play against Florida State and Temple and these 2 plays sum him up [ He played LT for USF and Packers see him as an inside guy]:

Against Temple 4th Q, 10:09. Kofi line up 1 on 1 w/ Reddick [#13 pick of AZ], no help is given. Kofi doesn’t allow any penetration at all on a long developing pass play that was completed traveling over 30 yards in the air. Grade A.

A few plays later [4th Q 3:55] Kofi is blocking #11 [Romond Deloatch a WR, converted to TE that plays some back-up DE, signed as an UDFA TE after the 2017 draft], who bullrushes him back into his QB’s lap. Grade F----.

Against FSU’s Walker [Pick #51 in 2017] he did okay most of the time; but gave up a sack and 4-5 pressures; yet he pancaked him on one run.

Good OLman have the ability to “drop anchor.” That is when being pushed back they find a way to stop the penetration. Once Kofi starts getting pushed he is poor at dropping anchor.

Kofi is not built like a stump, like Lang or Sitton, he’s got a classic V-shape [They need to Botox 20 lbs of fat in his ass LOL]. Because his center of gravity is higher his technique needs to be flawless. He gets into trouble when he doesn’t keep his weight centered over his base, allowing him to get knocked off balance easily. Once off balance he cant recover and he ends up being pushed around, lunging and/or falling to the ground.

See that baseball stick to Yadir Molina’s chest protector? When you see a edge rusher hit a OT and just stick to the OLman like he got Stick’em on his chest; that’s when you know that OL is using his vice grips to legally hold. Invariably after the whistle the rusher pushes and slaps and talks to the officials. Kofi is good at this; he uses his hands like a day 2 pick.

For the 6th round you either get an athlete with no production or a decent producer with horrible measureables. In this case we got a great athlete, who is quite productive about 2/3 of the time and totally sucked for 1/6 and was pretty bad the other 1/6. It is as if he wasn’t coached very well. Don’t know anything about his OL coach [Hiller] except that he was not a full time OL coach and when the HC [Taggert] left for Oregon, he hired the ‘bama OL coach instead of taking Hiller with him. This cant be a total knock on Hiller. Hiller did get hired in January as Houston Cougars’ OL coach and then jumped ship a month later to be OL coach at Indiana U. So Hiller has his admirers.

Surely GB brought Kofi in to see if his inconsistent play was caused by a dearth of football acumen and/or his inability or refusal to take coaching. Ted was satisfied or he wouldn’t have used a 6th. I cant see any way Kofi is good enough to contribute on the 53 in 2017.

This is a nice pick. He could easily end up as nothing; but decent chance, if he gets the technique down, that he’ll be a starter. Here’s some random plays I thought were interesting.

AT FSU

At 7:00 3rd Q v. FSU he comes out to 2nd level 100% lost on a run play and blocks no one. Next play he pulls from LT thru right 2 gap and obliterates #6 [Mathew Thomas, FSU’s leading tackler, 5 star recruit, and he’ll get drafted on day 1 or 2 in 2018]. It interesting that after the pancake he stepped on someone’s foot and was limping. On the next play, being gimpy, on 3rd and long he hung with a blitzing #16 [Pugh, will LB that’s probably a mid round, maybe a 2nd pick in ‘18].

Showing guard skills at 13:33 4th Q he seals off #94DT [6’5” 300lb #3 rated JUCO DT-looking like a late rnd pick/udfa in 2018] inside on a run outside giving him a good shove inside; then comes out and seals off #6 [Thomas, a above-mentioned stud] for a long run.

AT TEMPLE:
2nd Q 5:06 Reddick gets zero penetration but he looked like he took the play off or had contain. The Back was there to help Kofi.

2nd Q 1:09 Reddick faked going inside and ran right around outside of Kofi, who lunged and missed and almost fell down. The RB Mack [a good one] made a great block to stop Reddick so he didn’t even get a pressure.

3rd Q 13.45 Kofi performed a great seal block on Reddick; Reddick got all mad and started swinging or in other words Kofi id a great job latching on with his meat hooks.

3rd Q 3:18. Kofi totally whiffed on a seal block and held Reddick from behind that didn’t get called; but Reddick still was able to pursue and make tackle

4th 10:09 Kofi, 1 on 1 w/ Reddick, no help doesn’t allow any penetration at all. And it was along developing pass play that was completed traveling over 30 yards in the air. Grade A+

Next play Reddick got a little penetration and TE was there to stop an inside move. A medium deep route was completed for 15 yards. Grade B-

Next play TE was there to help and Reddick, did a stunt w/ DT and Kofi took him inside and stonewalled Reddick. Grade B
sschind
6 years ago

Here’s some random plays I thought were interesting.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Come on Barfan, NONE of the plays you choose to highlight are ever random. Every one of them is carefully calculated to help you prove your point. You like the guy you "randomly" choose his good plays you don't like the guy you" randomly"choose his bad plays. Don't worry, we all do it. 😉

The thing is I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about this guy... That we don't know and will have to wait and see? That's something I think we can all agree on regardless of the plays you randomly choose.
Barfarn
6 years ago

Come on Barfan, NONE of the plays you choose to highlight are ever random. Every one of them is carefully calculated to help you prove your point. You like the guy you "randomly" choose his good plays you don't like the guy you" randomly"choose his bad plays. Don't worry, we all do it. 😉

The thing is I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about this guy... That we don't know and will have to wait and see? That's something I think we can all agree on regardless of the plays you randomly choose.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I picked RANDOM plays that were interesting [Now If I'm arguing that Rodgers is not going thru progressions or lost his accuracy, then 3-4-10 plays might be shown for that demonstration].

I watched hundreds of Kofi's snaps, but really studied his play against the 2 best edge rushers he faced. You ask: what's my point? Answer: I have no idea....LOL

I specifically pointed out some strengths and weaknesses. His balance is bad; his ability to clamp on/legally hold pretty good, etc. He's proven he can dominate a 1st and 2nd round pick, this is unusual for a 6th. He's also shown he cant block my grandma consistently, this is also unusual for a 6th. He can pull and pancake and perform combo blocks and get to second level against good college players. Of course, if he was real consistent in any of the areas of play, he'd have been picked higher.

It seems he had a pretty good coach, but he was part time.

GB targets a bunch of UDFA-types for pre-draft visits. They then use their late round picks for the best UDFA or those they fear they may not sign [unless a player unexpectedly falls].

I would conclude Kofi has 0-2% chance to contribute in 2017; but he may put some dominant play on tape and may get claimed if we try to stash him on PS. The question is how fast can he learn; he probably has aptitude or Ted wouldn't have drafted him. So, if all you care about is "we'll have to wait and see;" then you knew that when the word draft pick appeared after his name. This just adds flavor and depth to the "waiting and seeing."
sschind
6 years ago

I picked RANDOM plays that were interesting [Now If I'm arguing that Rodgers is not going thru progressions or lost his accuracy, then 3-4-10 plays might be shown for that demonstration].

I watched hundreds of Kofi's snaps, but really studied his play against the 2 best edge rushers he faced. You ask: what's my point? Answer: I have no idea....LOL

I specifically pointed out some strengths and weaknesses. His balance is bad; his ability to clamp on/legally hold pretty good, etc. He's proven he can dominate a 1st and 2nd round pick, this is unusual for a 6th. He's also shown he cant block my grandma consistently, this is also unusual for a 6th. He can pull and pancake and perform combo blocks and get to second level against good college players. Of course, if he was real consistent in any of the areas of play, he'd have been picked higher.

It seems he had a pretty good coach, but he was part time.

GB targets a bunch of UDFA-types for pre-draft visits. They then use their late round picks for the best UDFA or those they fear they may not sign [unless a player unexpectedly falls].

I would conclude Kofi has 0-2% chance to contribute in 2017; but he may put some dominant play on tape and may get claimed if we try to stash him on PS. The question is how fast can he learn; he probably has aptitude or Ted wouldn't have drafted him. So, if all you care about is "we'll have to wait and see;" then you knew that when the word draft pick appeared after his name. This just adds flavor and depth to the "waiting and seeing."

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

Honestly I wouldn't expect a 6th round pick who wasn't drafted to be a starter to contribute much in his first year so that doesn't concern me. I do appreciate the time you put into your analysis as I simply don't have the desire to do so but in this case I just think you were a little bit of the captain obvious. There was a reason he lasted until the 6th round and I'm guessing inconsistencies were a big part of it. He obviously has the talent or he wouldn't have been drafted. My guess is he is in the plans for a possible starting role or maybe just depth but is not ready yet which is why Evans was signed in the first place, to give a new guy or an existing guy a little more time to develop.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Honestly I wouldn't expect a 6th round pick who wasn't drafted to be a starter to contribute much in his first year so that doesn't concern me. I do appreciate the time you put into your analysis as I simply don't have the desire to do so but in this case I just think you were a little bit of the captain obvious. There was a reason he lasted until the 6th round and I'm guessing inconsistencies were a big part of it. He obviously has the talent or he wouldn't have been drafted. My guess is he is in the plans for a possible starting role or maybe just depth but is not ready yet which is why Evans was signed in the first place, to give a new guy or an existing guy a little more time to develop.

I haven't watched a single play and I lept to the same conclusion.
It will take 2 years.
UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

I haven't watched a single play and I lept to the same conclusion.
It will take 2 years.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Watch this: Today its sunny; hence tomorrow it will be sunny! [Next day its sunny] See, I'm a weather genius!

I'm the guy who asks "why?" Why did it rain today? Ahh, then i discover I can look at the weather one state west, and get it right more often. Oh and then I can see how highs and lows are measures and move to get even further accuracy, etc., etc., etc.

If you pigeon hole your thinking to 6th round pick = 2-3 year project/probably will never be, fine. But, at least understand your opinion is as weighty as the "weather genius" above; you should not even try to plan any picnics. Obviously if he was better Kofi would have been picked higher, I mean duh, right? BUT...

Tausher, Bahktieri and Whittiker [7th, 4th, 7th rnd respectively] weren't supposed to start either; but each started coming out of camp; 2 were/are pretty damn good players. Thank god 1265 doesn't use the pigeon-holed thinking of the "weather genius."

Perhaps a more spot-on example: In 1995 GB drafted Timmerman at G in 7th. GB had an aging Galbreath starting at G and he went down after 1st playoff game. Next man up: rookie Timmerman going against SFs great DTs in Bryant Young and Dana Stubblefield and he was magnificent.

So I ask why? Why can Tauscher et al do it and not Kofi? If Evans goes down at end of season will Kofi be able to step in like Timmerman?

Kofi put on 5-10 lbs prior to combine and still showed great athleticism; so he's big enough for Center still a bit light for G. Here's what my data tells you: Kofi uses his hands well, great feet, powerful explosive blocker. So why wasn't he drafted day 1 or 2? Let's go to data: He cant anchor well and he doesn't keep his weight centered on his V frame.

If Kofi learns to play with his weight centered over his base, he will anchor better too. If he improves these 2 areas during camp and can put on another 8-10 lbs w/o losing athleticism and if he has the football acumen to learn the blocking schemes; he can be a serviceable starter at G game 1, and he might be pretty good by end of year. The same applies to Kofi playing Center, but doesn't need the extra weight.

If you care why he is or not starting/contributing making the roster ya gotta look at a lot more than a 40 time and draft position.

BTW, I think this little exercise can be applied in any aspect of life's issues! People should be curious and ask why and not just rely on a morsel of info or blindly adsorb propaganda crap inundating them by, for example, the corporate media. That is being the typical American as described by Roger Ailes in his 318-page report to Nixon [A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News].
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
🤣
Let's compare oranges and orangutans. They must be similar the words are. 🙄

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (11h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (16h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (18h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (20h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (20h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (20h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (21h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.