6 years ago
Go to the article, if you want to see why they choose these 5

CB Herb Waters
RB Devante Mays
WR Max McCaffrey
OL Kofi Amichia
OLB Reggie Gilbert

packerswire.usatoday.com  wrote:

Who do you think it flying under the radar and that people should keep an eye on?
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
6 years ago
He has an uphill battle, udfa rb Kalif Phillips.
Out of Charlotte is a guy I will be watching.

Battle for 2nd and 3rd rb is going to be fun to watch.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
nerdmann
6 years ago

Go to the article, if you want to see why they choose these 5

Who do you think it flying under the radar and that people should keep an eye on?

Originally Posted by: beast 

Devante Mays can absolutely get it done. I like that T they got from Canada too, what's his name? And that 'tweener OLB, Calvin was it?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
They are all interesting picks and they all fall into positions with huge questions marks other than WR. However, the WR position is a total crapshoot after the top 3. Being able to help on the ST either as a return guy or gunner will be important for these WRs on the bubble.

Unfortunately for Waters he may have to hope for an injury as with 2 more DB draft picks and the signing of House it is gonna be hard to find a spot.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Unfortunately for Waters he may have to hope for an injury as with 2 more DB draft picks and the signing of House it is gonna be hard to find a spot.

Originally Posted by: TheKanataThrilla 

The Packers added three (House, King and Jones), but they also lost three (Shields, Dorleant and Hyde). So I think that evens out, at least numbers wise, and Goodson tore his ACL in November and most think he'll start the year on the PUP.

If that's the case, then Hawkins, Waters and a whole lot of undrafted rookies will be completing for the 6th CB spot, which the Packers have always kept with the exception of last year, when they just didn't have the healthy/talented bodies to keep 6 CBs.

Devante Mays can absolutely get it done. I like that T they got from Canada too, what's his name? And that 'tweener OLB, Calvin was it?

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Yeah I really liked Mays' Jr. film, he needed some room to get started as he has build up acceleration, but once he got up to speed, he had nice speed and power combo.

Geoff Gray is the Canadian OL.

Yeah the Packers need a 6th OLB to step up, and it looks like Gilbert and Calvin are the two most likely to do it.

He has an uphill battle, udfa rb Kalif Phillips.
Out of Charlotte is a guy I will be watching.

Battle for 2nd and 3rd rb is going to be fun to watch.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yeah Phillips will have a tough uphill battle. I think it'd be hard for the Packers to pass on their rookie draft picks unless Phillips completely blows them out.

UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: beast 

If I had to pick 5 for myself

WR Davis - If he gains more control, then Davis could have a big breakout season. He said last year he was thinking way too much, as he was still attempting to learn the huge playbook. Sounds like the WR coaches thinks Davis has made "big improvements" in his mental game.

OLB Fackrell - Fackrell looked impressive in his pass rush in very limited action, but injuries got to him, as well as the long NFL season. These wore his body down got to him and he got stuck behind depth. The depth is gone, and Fackrell says he's realized and worked on adding more strength workouts to better prepare him for the long season and run stopping.

S Brice - Plain and simple, Brice just played with amazing heart and determination. One of my biggest pet peeves is on long pass plays, when DB just let the the WR go after they get inside the 8 yard line or so... but Brice was fully willing to hit and not give up an inch even on the 1 yard line. With the excitement of 2nd round selection Josh Jones, some are thinking he's a shoe in for top back-up S, but I think he'll have a fight with Brice for the spot. Though Jones might be perfect for the dime DB/LB tweener role.

OG Patrick - Last training camp, some thought Patrick played well enough that he should of made the 53 man roster, even though he was playing with the disadvantage of playing with a club covering his broken hand. If he's grown and gotten better, then he might be able to grab one of the final spots.

CB Waters - Simply because CB coach said to watch out for him, and because Goodson is injured (and doesn't play well at CB when healthy), and because Hawkins seemed to get into the doghouse with the CB coach, as he was willing to risk too much and got badly burned because of it.

Honorable mentions
DL Unit as a Whole - Clark and Lowry going into their second years with new versatile mean guy in Jean Francois, with high raw potential Adams. (Not mention Daniels, because I don't think anyone is overlooking him).

UserPostedImage
Smokey
6 years ago
Quoting your own post now "beast" ? What's next , applauding yourself ?

I've been suffering arrogant people like you all of my like , kind of like bad weather . Always a superior position on every subject , sort of like Skip Bayless .

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Apparently "flying under the radar" = "practice squad players". All of the players Zach Kruse selected are, baring injury, long shots to make the team. Every Teddy team has a UDFA or two sneak in. I am sure this year will be no exception. It is very possible one of his five will make the team.

Waters has House, King, Randall and Rollins as locks in front of him. Close behind is Gunter. That's 5 of the probable 6 slots taken. Waters, Hawkins and Goodson will fight for the last spot along with the dreaded UDFA trio. He has a chance but it is a small one.

People have raved about Mays. I am sure some of it is justified. Anyone who gets drafted by any team in any league is a pretty sound athlete. There is a reason he was taken after Williams and Jones. I literally laughed out loud when I read Kruses' astonishingly prediction that he would lead the team in PS rushing yards. The way Mike runs his PS there is almost no reason for him not to. First off he will get a fair amount of time against the 3rd, 4th and 5th team defenses. Granted he may not have the greatest blocking in front of him but RB is a position you can make the most out of broken plays. Add to that Ty will only get a few token plays each game and Williams and Jones IF they look good will split the early part of the game leaving the lion's share of the 2nd half to Mays. Will Mays have the best YPC is the real question. I think not. That will go to Williams. Mays making the team comes down to how bad does Mike want 2 FBs vs 4 RB.

Maybe McCaffrey will make the team. The 4th-8th WR are pretty close in ability. Janis makes the grade because of his standout SP play. I enjoyed watching Illini Allison have some decent games last year but we shall see if he can do it again this year. More than likely Davis takes a step forward this year. It takes time to grow into an above average NFL player. Another TC under his belt will help. Yancey and Dupre might make it before McCaffrey because they were drafted. I am not saying they will but more than likely they will have to be horrible in TC for Mac to pass them. It is even more difficult for McCaffrey if Ted and Mike go back to 6 WR instead of the 7 they had last year.

I don't know much about Amichia. I have a hard time seeing him not make the team but it is almost by default so that doesn't count as flying under the radar to me. After the starting 5 of Bakhtiari, Taylor, Linsley, Evans and Bulaga there are still 4 spots to fill. Barclay can be a pain but he does play multiple positions even if he is below average at times. Spriggs and Murphy will surely make the team. That's 8. Kofi will probably get the nod over Patrick because he was drafted. Odds are long for the UDFAs as always.

What is Gilbert? I have seen him listed as an OLB and DE. I suppose they are sort of interchangeable at times but not always. If he is a DE he will have Clark and Lowry ahead of him. I think Adams can slid over from time to time. Daniels isn't over center much so depending on where he puts his hand down he could be considered a DT or DE. If Gilbert is a OLB then he has CM3, Perry, Biegel, Fackrell and Elliott to contend with. I can't see him being considered an OLB. BUT, if he will stay home and turn the RB back into the center of the field he gets my vote. I am sick and tired of watching OLB (CLAY) left his position and the RB, QB or a WR get outside containment and roll 20 yards down field.

My 5? Dupre, Price, Lowry, Allison and Joe Thomas. Joe is going to have his work cut out for him. Safeties like Burnett and Jones getting time on the inside may mean 1 less ILB.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

Quoting your own post now "beast" ? What's next , applauding yourself ?

I've been suffering arrogant people like you all of my like , kind of like bad weather . Always a superior position on every subject , sort of like Skip Bayless .

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Back off smokey. His quote was the question that he was asking everyone "who do you think" which he then went on to answer. It makes perfect sense to use the quote. At least for anyone who isn't getting all pissy and looking for a reason to complain when there isn't one.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

Waters, Hawkins and Goodson will fight for the last spot along with the dreaded UDFA trio. He has a chance but it is a small one.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Goodson is coming off an ACL injury and might not compete in training camp, which I think helps other case, as if it was just STs, then Goodson might have it wrapped up.

People have raved about Mays. I am sure some of it is justified. Anyone who gets drafted by any team in any league is a pretty sound athlete. There is a reason he was taken after Williams and Jones. I literally laughed out loud when I read Kruses' astonishingly prediction that he would lead the team in PS rushing yards. ...
...Mays making the team comes down to how bad does Mike want 2 FBs vs 4 RB.

I thought Mays would go undrafted because his Senior year was horrible due to injuries. That could be a possible reason he wasn't drafted until the 7th.

With that last comment, are you assuming RB Jones is a lock over RB Mays? Personally I think they could battle the 3rd RB and my way too early 53 roster prediction, I had 1 FB and 3 RBs, with the 4th RB going to the PS. (that was because I had the Packers also keeping 3 QBs, 7 WRs and 9 OL).

I don't know much about Amichia... ... Kofi will probably get the nod over Patrick because he was drafted. Odds are long for the UDFAs as always.

Amichia played Center as a freshman in college and at the NFL they announced his selection as a Center... so I think Amichia is the Packers future back-up Center (at worse), as Taylor, Linsley, Evans and Barcaly are all in contract years. But now they don't have to resign two Centers come FA time.

I had Patrick over Kofi in my prediction, but that was because Patrick looked pretty good last training camp even with a club on his broken hand... fully healthy and a full offseason, and he should look even better.

What is Gilbert? I have seen him listed as an OLB and DE. I suppose they are sort of interchangeable at times but not always.

If Gilbert is a OLB then he has CM3, Perry, Biegel, Fackrell and Elliott to contend with. I can't see him being considered an OLB.

Gilbert and Calvin are both bigger OLBers and competing for the 6th OLB spot.

My 5? Dupre, Price, Lowry, Allison and Joe Thomas. Joe is going to have his work cut out for him. Safeties like Burnett and Jones getting time on the inside may mean 1 less ILB.

Dupre would of been on my list too if not for WR Davis.

Lowry was an honorary part of my group as the DL as a whole. Also Adams, to a degree, but it seems as if a lot of DTs struggle as rookies, which I've heard some explain as it takes them longer to adjust to the NFL quickness and power of the inside of NFL OL.

DL Price is an interesting selection, but the Packers normally only keep 5 or 6 DL, and with Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Jean-Francois, Adams... 5 spots seem to be locked up. And if they keep a 6th spot, then there is Ringo, Price, Lunsford and MAYBE... MAYBE... Guion for that 6th spot.

I didn't think about Allison for this list, but that's because I've heard a lot of people assuming that he's a lock for the 4th WR spot, and so from what I'm personally hearing, he's not under the radar. But if he's not on others radar then that's a great selection.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (4h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (17h) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (22h) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (22h) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (22h) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.