wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago

I understand your view. It's tough to see this as I do. What you're saying I agree with, however you're arguing something I'm not. Bulaga was SPECIFICALLY drafted in Round 1 to be our LT. It's a matter of how this affects our franchise. We got no Dez Bryant to get a RT thinking we got a steal of a LT. I define that specific moment as...FAILURE and bad for our franchise. I also define him as FAILURE of a LT because...HE WAS. Those two specific things are failures. I understand he's a very good RT but we shouldn't have used a1st rounder on a RT.

It amazes me how those on your side would say a guy like Sherrod wasn't a waste because he was just cursed with bad injury luck. Where is how it actually worked out considered in that scenario? It ain't. It always comes back to trying to praise the org regardless and that is zero objectivity. It's fine as long as you're aware of where we're both coming from.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

There is a lot I agree with but Dez would never have been picked by GB. "They" didn't think they needed him or another WR. I am not going to go look up who they had but Teddy felt e had a solid 1 and 2 with plenty of depth. If not Bulaga then it would have been someone else. I agree they did draft him with the hopes in a yr or 2 he would work his way into the starting line up. Injuries derailed that and he got stuck on the right side. After a few struggling years he got it down pretty good. So instead of it being a failure it became a success.

Could he play LT? Perhaps. Because of Bahk GB doesn't need to find out.
Would they have been able to get Bulaga in the 2nd or 3rd? Probably not. The curse of drafting low is there are other teams with the same needs sitting ahead of you every single round. The beausty about drafting low is you don;t have as many pressing needs. What that means is you can "overpay" for a player. GB and a few other franchises have the luxury of taking a player before the slot the experts think he will go. Sometimes like Bulaga it works out. Sometimes like Thornton it doesn't work out. C'est la vie.
UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago

Bulaga was SPECIFICALLY drafted in Round 1 to be our LT.

Why did we draft Sherrod in the 1st round? TO PLAY LT...

You're whole logic is based on that they were only taken to play a single position (LT)... can you prove that? If no, then you got absolutely nothing... because that's what you're entire case is built around...

Unless you were with the Packers or directly knowledge of someone who was, then you can't prove that... because the Packers needed to replace two OTs and an OG over that time frame and Bulaga fit one and they started Sherrod at OG.

You're opinion is that

we shouldn't have used a 1st rounder on a RT.

But NFL GMs/teams do use 1st round picks on NON-LTs...

In the 1st round of 2016 draft
Titans selected RT Jack Conklin
Colts selected C Ryan Kelly
49ers selected G Joshua Garnett
Seahawks selected RT/G Germain Ifedi

So what you're really arguing is that Thompson use a 1st round pick on a non-LT offensive linemen which goes against your logic, and therefore Bulaga is a failure.

That's pretty bad logic... because it assumes Packers cares about your logic... and that Packers cares about what position the players play.... instead of simply helping the team anyway necessary/possible.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
I see you've changed your tack and now are challenging the only thing you have left. Odd that it wasn't brought up until now.

It's hard accessing links on my phone and the JSO/GPG merger makes searching old stories impossible at least as of now.

You should know the draft is my favorite event in sports. I follow it closely and really close that year in Round 1. I'm aware of why he was drafted...you aren't ...and are hoping I can't prove it.

Start with this:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-packers-grooming-1st-rounder-bulaga-as-future-lt-2010apr29-story,amp.html 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

uffda udfa
6 years ago
This should do it:

https://www.google.com/amp/host.madison.com/sports/football/professional/packers-notes-mccarthy-says-bulaga-to-work-at-left-tackle/article_f0de6f99-a92b-5176-ba37-d03fa2442f1b.amp.html 
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

Tezzy
6 years ago
Drafted as an LT when we had Clifton already at LT. Ended up as a starter at RT and a member of the championship team. Maybe he became a RT and that was that. I don't see that as a waste of a 1st round pick. Seems like it was nailed spot on to help win the Super Bowl.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
beast
6 years ago

I see you've changed your tack and now are challenging the only thing you have left. Odd that it wasn't brought up until now.

You should know the draft is my favorite event in sports. I follow it closely and really close that year in Round 1. I'm aware of why he was drafted...you aren't ...and are hoping I can't prove it.

I haven't changed anything, everyone seems to understand Bulaga was a good pick except you. In your mind that means you're the only one that's being objectivity... in everyone else minds, it means we know you're trying feed us loads of shit.

Your assumption is that Packers care about where he plays over that he plays well somewhere (for the Packers)... every reasonable person can see that assumption is the complete failure
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago

I haven't changed anything, everyone seems to understand Bulaga was a good pick except you. In your mind that means you're the only one that's being objectivity... in everyone else minds, it means we know you're trying feed us loads of shit.

Your assumption is that Packers care about where he plays over that he plays well somewhere (for the Packers)... every reasonable person can see that assumption is the complete failure

Originally Posted by: beast 

You see end result ONLY. I see the nuances over the years and the impact his drafting in Round 1 had. It's called being shortsighted. I don't disagree it worked out but the thinking was extremely flawed. Bulaga was NEVER EVER a LT but that's why we chose him in Round 1. If we were thinking of him like Spriggs for a rotational role to go to either tackle spot he would NOT have been taken in Round 1. That's what you don't seem to understand. You're praising the result and ignoring the horribly flawed thinking that cost us with Sherrod and elsewhere.

UserPostedImage

beast
6 years ago

I don't disagree it worked out

Thank you for admitting you were wrong, we all knew it, but we all very much apappreciate that you were willing to admit it. Thank you again.
UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
6 years ago
Good stuff. All I had to do is offer proof he was drafted to play LT. I did... and you go off on yet another tangent creating enough straw men to field an offensive line.

It's fun for me to watch you keep changing your tune.

Bulaga is a fine player...injured a bunch, but still a very good RT. Brutal pick and one that shouldn't have been made based on the flawed logic. Most everyone knew he lacked several ingredients to be a LT in the NFL but not us. We plunked down our card for our LT of the future. Realized he wasn't a LT and hid him at RT and called it a win. LOL

UserPostedImage

beast
6 years ago

Good stuff. All I had to do is offer proof he was drafted to play LT. I did...

No you have completely failed at proving Bulaga was a failed pick and even admitted you were wrong.

You changed the debate to because teams don't draft RTs in the 1st round and I owned your ass on that point...

You then changed to they drafted him to only play LT... which doesn't matter in the slightest even if they did....

The Packers draft players to play at a high level period... they've had a lot of faulires, Bulaga clearly isn't one of them, so back to the orginial point is that Bulaga isn't a failure.

And you change the debate again like you always do when you are getting beat in a debate.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

3h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

9h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.