Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Absolutely right move. You go for the throat.

When it comes to the in-game decisions Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy makes every week, none leaves him more vulnerable to second-guessing than when he tries to steal an extra series at the end of a half.

Some might call him reckless. Others might say he’s ill-prepared.

When he used his final timeout with 43 seconds left in the first half of a 0-0 game last Sunday against Seattle, stupid entered the discussion.

Whatever the interpretation, people are going to have to get used to that kind of decision making because McCarthy said he is not going to sit on his hands this season and play it safe. He said his slim-to-none-chance-for-success decision was as much a message to his team as it was an attempt to score before the half.

"I can do the easy way out and never do it and just run out the half,” McCarthy said Friday, a day before his team left for a Week 2 game in Atlanta. “Conservativeness is the easy path if you’re trying to keep the criticism down. I don’t think you can win championships being conservative.

Continue Reading @PackersNews 

Tom Silverstein wrote:

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago
I like that thing where they double up by scoring before the half, then get the ball back and score again. Mike always plays scared against Seattle. It was nice to see him NOT play scared for a few seconds there. Just didn't happen to pan out for us in that instance.

Mike's problem isn't aggressiveness or conservatism. It's that he gets emotionally tighht when it's all on the line.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
steveishere
6 years ago
Was the right move if we had another time out. Was a stupid move with only 2 TO. Best case scenario was getting the ball back with a few seconds left, not really worth the effort. With 2 TO all we really did was give them a free series to see if they can get a 1st down.
coltonja
6 years ago

Was the right move if we had another time out. Was a stupid move with only 2 TO. Best case scenario was getting the ball back with a few seconds left, not really worth the effort. With 2 TO all we really did was give them a free series to see if they can get a 1st down.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

You're right. A few seconds for Rodgers at the 40-50 yard line hasn't worked out well for us.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
yooperfan
6 years ago
I'm not willing to give McCarthy the benefit of the doubt, what he did with those timeouts was stupid.
His clock management has been historically bad.
steveishere
6 years ago

You're right. A few seconds for Rodgers at the 40-50 yard line hasn't worked out well for us.

Originally Posted by: coltonja 

Calling TOs to try to get the ball back sure hasn't worked out for us. Also that was BEST CASE SCENARIO not most likely scenario. Maybe we get the ball back with 3 seconds around mid field then we make some miracle play but the likelihood of that happening wasn't worth giving them a free set of plays to try and get a first down then decide if they wan't to play from there for a FG/TD. Yeah our D had been playing well up to their point but so had their punter. Even if we make the 3rd down stop the most likely thing to happen would be their punter blasting one out of bounds with 0 time left. Like I said I was all for it if we had a 3rd TO and can get the ball back with 40ish seconds left. Playing for a shot at a miracle was just dumb though.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago
Head Coaches shouldn't have confidence in their defense and should never try to score more points. You keep those timeouts! You save them because you can take them over into the 2nd half. How ignorant and stupid does this coach have to be?

#AllTimeoutsMatter

Start a march!! We must protect the timeouts!!!

UserPostedImage
Barfarn
6 years ago

Absolutely right move. You go for the throat.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I cant think of anything more aggressive or "going for the throat" more than repeatedly blitzing 11.

It's just also outrageously STUPID; just like the halftime stupidity last week.

UFDA is wrong when he says these reporters are company men. Wilde and now Silverstein asked the tough question of Mike McCarthy on this, which shows they're not. They're just not prepared to nil his ass to the wall. Mike called out Lacy on his weight; time to call out Mike McCarthy on this stuff.

Most of the time he has done this regardless of how it turned out. He ALWAYS calls the TOs too fast. If he waits and only calls TO on 3rd down, when a punt is assured; he may only have 20-25 seconds and 1 or 2 TOs; instead of no TOs and 1 minute left. There is still plenty of time to score, either way; but this way the foe cant gain benefit from the use of GB TOs.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

I cant think of anything more aggressive or "going for the throat" more than repeatedly blitzing 11.

It's just also outrageously STUPID; just like the halftime stupidity last week.

UFDA is wrong when he says these reporters are company men. Wilde and now Silverstein asked the tough question of Mike McCarthy on this, which shows they're not. They're just not prepared to nil his ass to the wall. Mike called out Lacy on his weight; time to call out Mike McCarthy on this stuff.

Most of the time he has done this regardless of how it turned out. He ALWAYS calls the TOs too fast. If he waits and only calls TO on 3rd down, when a punt is assured; he may only have 20-25 seconds and 1 or 2 TOs; instead of no TOs and 1 minute left. There is still plenty of time to score, either way; but this way the foe cant gain benefit from the use of GB TOs.

Originally Posted by: Barfarn 

The more comments I read here saying something or someone is stupid, the more I just want to start deleting posts. Why can't we show our passion like mature adults when online? What is so hard about that? What is so challenging about not making ourselves look like douchebags?

I wish I had more time to fix this issue because I don't even like reading the BS on this site anymore. It's come down to name calling and finger pointing.

You who do this, sicken me.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
6 years ago

Head Coaches shouldn't have confidence in their defense and should never try to score more points. You keep those timeouts! You save them because you can take them over into the 2nd half. How ignorant and stupid does this coach have to be?

#AllTimeoutsMatter

Start a march!! We must protect the timeouts!!!

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

If you actually have enough TOs to get the ball back then use them. If the other team can still run time out if they want you are just giving them free downs.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (35m) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

5h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.