15 years ago
Top 5 Teams to Watch 

1. Texans
2. Packers
3. Redskins
4. Bills
5. Chiefs

2. The Green Bay Packers

Offense: The key skill position pieces are in place with quarterback Aaron Rodgers, running back Ryan Grant and wideouts Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and James Jones. Donald Lee is a quality tight end as well. The offensive line needs work at the tackle spots, even if Mark Tauscher is re-signed. The spot could use both depth and quality and should be addressed relatively early in the draft. Even with improvement needed on the line, this is a unit ascending into its prime. As Rodgers improves, hell take the offense with him. It should be the best unit in the NFC North by far, and one of the top five offenses in the NFC.

Defense: The switch to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers is going to be tricky. Capers is a quality assistant and should be an upgrade, but the personnel is a huge question mark particularly defensive end-turned linebacker Aaron Kampman. No matter what the team says, there is no telling how Kampman will function as an outside linebacker (especially in coverage) until he gets on the field and has to do it against live competition. It might be November before we really know how well or poorly the scheme and players fit one another. The addition of safety Anthony Smith from the Steelers gives Green Bay a good veteran safety who knows the scheme, and that will help, but the Packers have been slow to add other pieces. Not being able to woo Chris Canty was a definite blow.

Work to be done: There are still some free-agent bargains out there who could add some depth in the 3-4 scheme, but the Packers dont seem to have a sense of urgency in their pursuit. Thats either a really good sign of the transition of the existing roster, or utter mismanagement by the front office only time will tell. Whatever the case, finding personnel and/or depth for the 3-4 defense still has to be a top priority for the remainder of the offseason. Drafting a young offensive tackle and cornerback would appear to be sensible moves at this point, too. Continuing Rodgers development is important as well, but considering the strides he has made every offseason, that shouldnt be an issue.

Bottom line: Dont sweat the offense. The earlier Capers and that 3-4 defense get up and functioning, the further this team will go in 2009.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Well, he hit it right on, I guess. I still have doubts about Kampman aswell. I mean, I asume he didn't switch from LB to DE in college for nothing. Maybe he couldn't cover? That would be pretty bad as we would be nearly as one-dimensional as last years 4-3.

There are still some free-agent bargains out there who could add some depth in the 3-4 scheme, but the Packers dont seem to have a sense of urgency in their pursuit. Thats either a really good sign of the transition of the existing roster, or utter mismanagement by the front office only time will tell.

Apperantly no one has the slightest idea about what Ted is doing. I'd really like to know whether he's sitting in a corner crying because his FA is going horribly wrong or this is all part of his master scheme. Like the article says, only time will tell.
Dulak
15 years ago
I liked the authors analysis ...

Personally thou I dont mind the fact we didnt get canty considering the cost; although he would probably really help us. Id much prefer 2-3 other good players instead (but not even sure we will go for that).

Be interesting who is available at the #9 spot and whom we pick up.
15 years ago
Who has the better year this year, Jordy Nelson or James Jones?
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Or a random drafted receiver?

I think it all depends on TC this year, but so far, I'd say Nelson.

Where I saw Jones mostly catching deep balls (Might've been me not paying attention, but still), Jordy seemed to do it all. I think he'll be a great all-round player and somewone to follow up Driver.
digsthepack
15 years ago
Both Jones and Nelson are gifted WRs, and I like what they both do very much. But, when healthy, James Jones reminds me a LOT of Sterling Sharpe. Great hands, and so strong that the first defender is more often than not shedded for extra yards. That said, Nelson is also a very well rounded player. I see these two pushing each other for playing time, which means good things for both.

One of them may be traded, or possibly Ruvell Matrin, on draft day to a WR starved team that has someone/something we wantand/or need.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Pretty much my thinking, only I am a little more worried about the Oline. Need to get a couple players in for at least depth. Don't want to wait and see if Tauscher does make it back, would like to be prepared either way.

The D is the key to the season. I think there is enough talent on the team all ready, and Capers just pumping energy into the team will help.

As for the Jones Nelson question. I am hoping for no 1000 yard recievers. Thats right none. I am looking for 5 800 yard guys.

Jones should have a better season. I think he will jump to #2 in yards breaking 1000 along with Jennings. Driver should be close.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
zombieslayer
15 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Apples and oranges. I prefer Jones deep and Nelson is a better possession receiver. We need both.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
15 years ago

As for the Jones Nelson question. I am hoping for no 1000 yard recievers. Thats right none. I am looking for 5 800 yard guys.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

I'm looking for 5 1000 yard receivers. Now that would be something. (Thinking Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, Finley here)
zombieslayer
15 years ago
As for the article, I agree with all of it except Kampy. I strongly believe in something called "football intelligence." Kampy has it. He may be lost the first half of the season, but I guarantee he will "get" it.

He's got more speed than people give him credit for too. He's got "football speed," which Reggie White had. Yes, Reggie White. Big guy and all, I've seen him run down fast little guys and tackle them because he had the understanding of angles. That's another aspect of "football intelligence" that some folks have, some don't. Like Alex Smith may have a 150+ IQ, but I'd take Brett Favre's football intelligence any day of the week.

Another name he brought up - Donald Lee. There's been a lot of talk on this board that we could improve our TE spot but I disagree. I think he was wrongly utilized. He was correctly used in '07, but poorly used in '08. The guy has skills. He just needs to be used correctly.

And Aaron Rodgers is a stud. But we got to get that kid an OL. If Ted Thompson drafts a WR ahead of an OL, I'm going to be pissed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.