beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
6 years ago
I think it's a very good article, that's pointing out McCarthy is running deep routes still, Hundley just has not been seeing them and pulling the trigger... Hundley is playing like he's still in his college offense which had a ton of short passes, not looking downfield and running at the any slight of possible pressure (even when the OL has it blocked up pretty well).

Though I must say, the second to last drive in the Lions game, gave me some hope for Hundley can start looking downfield in the future. Though the next three games look like tougher defenses.

Hundley is handcuffing McCarthy, not the other way around.
And check out one line in the “Bottom Line” section: “It 2014, more than 54 percent of his pass attempts were from six yards and in, including 29 percent from behind the line of scrimmage, which is nothing like an NFL offense.”

Of Hundley’s first 18 passes against the Lions, 13 were thrown five yards downfield or shorter. Part of this was scheme; McCarthy incorporated some college-like plays that got the ball out of Hundley’s hands quick. Much of it, however, was Hundley’s inability or unwillingness to throw the ball down the field to open receivers. Time and again, he passed up opportunities to go downfield.

The very first drive against the Lions was filled with missed chances.

Again, all these plays point back to his weaknesses coming out of college. Hundley doesn’t look comfortable playing from the pocket. He’s struggling to anticipate throws and openings downfield. His internal clock – which McCarthy actually talked about at length after his start against the Saints – is a mess. He doesn’t feel the rush, but he sees the rush. His tendency is to throw underneath. And he’s not capable of creating in the passing game when he’s outside the pocket.

McCarthy has had three years to iron out the wrinkles in Hundley’s game, so he’s not absolved of blame. But it’s certainly possible these are fatal flaws, and no playcalling decisions from McCarthy are going to consistently mask his weaknesses as a quarterback.

packerswire  wrote:

Nelson was open for the TD with a good pass (there more clips in the article).

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
6 years ago
This video makes me sad. But this is the play everyone pointed out from the tv broadcast. Id like to see more detail rather than all these generalizations.
nerdmann
6 years ago
He has been giving too much ground on those scrambles, but I think he's looked ok throwing from outside the pocket. Better than I expected. I didn't like that late throw across his body over the middle though.

Interesting about the scripted plays though. People always say he practices extremely well. "Always lights it up in practice." Maybe he just needs to get comfortable out there, let his balls settle down out of his throat.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

This video makes me sad. But this is the play everyone pointed out from the tv broadcast. Id like to see more detail rather than all these generalizations.

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

There is more videos if you go to the article , I just didn't want to post them all.

~ Picture of TE Kendricks open in the deep middle zone of the field.
~ Video of no throwing to an open Nelson after the CB trips on the release.
~ Video of Adams being open on a mid level crossing route and instead hits the short check down route which is covered well.
~ Video of the OL forming a solid pocket for him, and he runs out of it, giving the edge defender an open rush and shot on him. To be fair, the RB got beat fairly quickly, but he was running away from his protection before the RB even engaged the blitzing DB.
UserPostedImage
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

Interesting about the scripted plays though. People always say he practices extremely well. "Always lights it up in practice." Maybe he just needs to get comfortable out there, let his balls settle down out of his throat.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Well the different between practice and games is that he can get hit in games. Maybe that's making him nervous? But if he doesn't trust his protection or unwilling to look down field then he's already lost. And yes Zero, he's still a growing boy and improvement is the name of the game right now, which he did improve on the last two drives of the Lions game, lets see if he can carry that over into the future.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
6 years ago

There is more videos if you go to the article , I just didn't want to post them all.

~ Picture of TE Kendricks open in the deep middle zone of the field.
~ Video of no throwing to an open Nelson after the CB trips on the release.
~ Video of Adams being open on a mid level crossing route and instead hits the short check down route which is covered well.
~ Video of the OL forming a solid pocket for him, and he runs out of it, giving the edge defender an open rush and shot on him. To be fair, the RB got beat fairly quickly, but he was running away from his protection before the RB even engaged the blitzing DB.

Originally Posted by: beast 

The anticipation will be there as soon as he's able to get up to game speed and get in the zone. I believe that will come with time. Like I said, by all accounts he "lights it up" in practice.

Still more worried about the pass rush. Biegel needs to be pass rush Jesus. Biegel and Montravius Adams.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
I have to disagree with the article. The first still photo is impossible to say what was happening. My guess would be that Kendricks was the 2nd option, after the first option was unavailable because Bulaga was pushed into the throwing lane. To throw to Kendricks he would have needed to throw it over him to about the 25, the Safety is sitting in perfect position to get a pick or kill Kendricks.

The video where Jordy is "open". He might have been able to get the throw off but I don't think he had the time. In order to get the ball to Jordy, when hundley gets to his 5th step of the drop, he has to look right for a couple counts to either move the S away from Jordy or delay the S enough for Jordy to get past him then throw over. Problem is by that time, he knows Jones missed his block and the outside rush is coming quick. Might have been able to get it off but I don't think so

the third one Hundley does exactly what he is supposed to. He rolls and his first option is open so he makes the throw, only for it to be dropped.

McCarthy has a young QB and should know that he isn't going to be standing in the pocket for 10 seconds, so McCarthy needs to adjust the plays to get him more options for good quick short throws.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Nonstopdrivel
6 years ago
UserPostedImage

"Inconsistent weight transfer . . . Needs to reset feet . . . Short-arms too many throws. . . ."

It would appear nothing has changed. It's the last one I notice the most -- it makes me cringe every time -- but the other two flaws in his mechanics are also still very much in evidence. Hundley looks dreadfully unpolished and amateurish when he passes, especially under duress. Sure, Rodgers doesn't always follow through the most gracefully, but he has the arm strength to compensate for his occasional mechanical quirks (most of the time). Hundley clearly does not. He looks like he's punching the ball out instead of throwing with a fluid motion, and his footwork is painful to behold. After three years of riding the bench, that is simply inexcusable. It speaks volumes to Hundley's lack of work ethic, his poor attention to detail, his dearth of talent, or some combination of the above. It also reflects poorly on McCarthy's formerly vaunted quarterback development prowess.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
6 years ago
So much for the “ quarterback guru “ thing.
beast
  • beast
6 years ago

It also reflects poorly on McCarthy's formerly vaunted quarterback development prowess.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

So much for the “ quarterback guru “ thing.

Originally Posted by: yooperfan 

I've been wondering if McCarthy could develop a QB in the post CBA NFL... as I believe Mike McCarthy has stated that the CBA directly interferes and shortens his important offseason "QB school" (as I think he called it).

I believe I've seen a lot less developed QBs, while the top QBs number might be the same, I felt like there was a better market of 2nd/3rd string QBs that could play some... of course that also might be because most teams are only keeping 2 QBs on their 53 man roster now, when they used to keep 3... or something along those lines (also things like NFL Europe).
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (1h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (4h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.