stevegb
6 years ago
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet but, according to ESPN, some unnamed teams believe the packers violated the IR policies for Aaron Rodgers about bringing him back then placing him back onto IR for the same injury. These teams believe Aaron Rodgers should have to be released. Here is a link to the article.

Teams Complain Packers violated IR rule and think Aaron Rodgers should be released 

I don't believe anything will happen, maybe a fine or such. Would be pretty devastating if worst case scenario Rodgers were to be released with no compensation. What do you guys think? Also would love to find out the teams complaining demanding his release!
blank
gbguy20
6 years ago
Doesn't this happen all the time? A player or team thinks they are recovered until they actually see them play?
nerdmann
6 years ago
VIkings are punking this team, on and off the field.

Mike repeatedly embarrasses us when it comes to this shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

Doesn't this happen all the time? A player or team thinks they are recovered until they actually see them play?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I think the difference is the new IR to return rules... where in the past the players was just inactive.

That or they claim a new injury or a relapse of the injury has accrued.

Though they're saying based on return from IR rules, that if Rodgers went back to the IR, it had to be from a new injury. If that's true and correct, then Packers most likely did violate the rules. If that is mistake, and Rodgers old injury can still count, OR if the Packers claim he got a new major injury, then they didn't break the rules. But the punishment is basically anything the commissioner wants to make it.

And while the NFL dislike the Packers for the purpose of throwing any sort of larger event here, the commissioner does seem to want to kiss a little Packers butt around time of Packers Stockholder Meeting, since Packers are the only team that publicly release their numbers.

If anything comes of this, it will probably just be a warning or a fine. With a small chance of a draft pick, but I'm thinking that's unlikely.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm guessing when it involves IR its a little different than simply missing a game or two and coming back too soon. I actually like the rule. IR is supposed to be for players who are to hurt to play for the whole season or at least a significant amount of time. I do like the ability to be able to return a couple of players from IR but I don't think it was intended to be used like the Packers used it. If a player is healthy enough to come back from IR and play in one game I don't think it is right to be able to say oops, I guess we were wrong and put him back on IR with the same injury.

Part of the problem in this case I think comes from McCarthy's comments that he was a little sore which can be taken to mean there were no new injuries. The other problem comes from the timing. If they had placed him on IR before they were eliminated by the falcons win I don't think it would be as big an issue.

According to the few article I read the Packers did indeed violate the rule. They really screwed up by releasing Callahan when they brought Rodgers back. Had they released someone else they wouldn't have had to bring in another QB when it was decided to shelve Aaron Rodgers for good. I think they knew they were only going to start Aaron Rodgers as long as they still had a chance to make the playoffs and they should have figured that it may be only for one week. The way it was they needed to bring in another QB and they needed to create a roster spot so they had to either release someone else or put someone on IR. they should have known that they couldn't put Aaron Rodgers back on IR and with only two games remaining they could have just as easily made it Adams or any one of the other guys they probably knew they were going to have inactive the following week anyway.

Unless new information comes out the bottom line is the Packers cheated. They will probably be fined and they may have to give up a draft pick. I just hope they don't make us release him to waivers. The Browns would be sure not to mess up on this one.
sschind
6 years ago

I think the difference is the new IR to return rules... where in the past the players was just inactive.

That or they claim a new injury or a relapse of the injury has accrued.

Though they're saying based on return from IR rules, that if Rodgers went back to the IR, it had to be from a new injury. If that's true and correct, then Packers most likely did violate the rules. If that is mistake, and Rodgers old injury can still count, OR if the Packers claim he got a new major injury, then they didn't break the rules. But the punishment is basically anything the commissioner wants to make it.

And while the NFL dislike the Packers for the purpose of throwing any sort of larger event here, the commissioner does seem to want to kiss a little Packers butt around time of Packers Stockholder Meeting, since Packers are the only team that publicly release their numbers.

If anything comes of this, it will probably just be a warning or a fine. With a small chance of a draft pick, but I'm thinking that's unlikely.

Originally Posted by: beast 

You beat me to it beast.

beast
6 years ago

I actually like the rule. IR is supposed to be for players who are to hurt to play for the whole season or at least a significant amount of time. I do like the ability to be able to return a couple of players from IR but I don't think it was intended to be used like the Packers used it. If a player is healthy enough to come back from IR and play in one game I don't think it is right to be able to say oops, I guess we were wrong and put him back on IR with the same injury.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I agree that the rule was not intended to be used like the Packers used it... but I honestly don't mind teams using it in that way... say due to an injury, we're shutting a guy down for the rest of the year. Of course maybe their should be a new IR for that... one that just says we can't replace his spot with a PS player from another team or something.

As for the IR to return... I dislike that it's limited to 2... I feel it should be an all or nothing rule... that all players on the IR are allowed to return after missing _ number of weeks or none of them. I think it should be an DL rule sorta like I think baseball has.

Had they released someone else they wouldn't have had to bring in another QB when it was decided to shelve Aaron Rodgers for good.

They did release FB Kerridge to claim C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

bottom line is the Packers cheated

I think "cheated" is the wrong phrase... I think "screwed up", or "made an error" would be more correct, as I don't feel as the Packers got any advantage, other than not having to address the media about Rodgers being on the inactive list and getting to sign C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Well Andrew Brandt seems to think this is all about nothing...

Brandt's reaction to teams want Rodgers released due to this violation

IF the NFL has approved the move, then this is basically on the NFL and off the Packers (at least in my mind)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
I don't know the rules but I wondered why GB would be able to put him into a game then place him back on IR. Without some teeth to the rules teams could play havoc with it.
Maybe GB will have to give up a draft pick.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Update 

Rule will be tweaked.

The NFL classifies injuries as "major" or "minor" based on whether it will take more or less than six weeks for the player to recover. In essence, a player placed on IR with a minor injury is subject to waivers after he recovers. In Rodgers' case, the question is what happened during his Dec. 17 start against the Carolina Panthers to put him in the "major" category.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
42m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.