stevegb
6 years ago
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet but, according to ESPN, some unnamed teams believe the packers violated the IR policies for Aaron Rodgers about bringing him back then placing him back onto IR for the same injury. These teams believe Aaron Rodgers should have to be released. Here is a link to the article.

Teams Complain Packers violated IR rule and think Aaron Rodgers should be released 

I don't believe anything will happen, maybe a fine or such. Would be pretty devastating if worst case scenario Rodgers were to be released with no compensation. What do you guys think? Also would love to find out the teams complaining demanding his release!
blank
gbguy20
6 years ago
Doesn't this happen all the time? A player or team thinks they are recovered until they actually see them play?
nerdmann
6 years ago
VIkings are punking this team, on and off the field.

Mike repeatedly embarrasses us when it comes to this shit.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
6 years ago

Doesn't this happen all the time? A player or team thinks they are recovered until they actually see them play?

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I think the difference is the new IR to return rules... where in the past the players was just inactive.

That or they claim a new injury or a relapse of the injury has accrued.

Though they're saying based on return from IR rules, that if Rodgers went back to the IR, it had to be from a new injury. If that's true and correct, then Packers most likely did violate the rules. If that is mistake, and Rodgers old injury can still count, OR if the Packers claim he got a new major injury, then they didn't break the rules. But the punishment is basically anything the commissioner wants to make it.

And while the NFL dislike the Packers for the purpose of throwing any sort of larger event here, the commissioner does seem to want to kiss a little Packers butt around time of Packers Stockholder Meeting, since Packers are the only team that publicly release their numbers.

If anything comes of this, it will probably just be a warning or a fine. With a small chance of a draft pick, but I'm thinking that's unlikely.
UserPostedImage
sschind
6 years ago

Originally Posted by: gbguy20 

I'm guessing when it involves IR its a little different than simply missing a game or two and coming back too soon. I actually like the rule. IR is supposed to be for players who are to hurt to play for the whole season or at least a significant amount of time. I do like the ability to be able to return a couple of players from IR but I don't think it was intended to be used like the Packers used it. If a player is healthy enough to come back from IR and play in one game I don't think it is right to be able to say oops, I guess we were wrong and put him back on IR with the same injury.

Part of the problem in this case I think comes from McCarthy's comments that he was a little sore which can be taken to mean there were no new injuries. The other problem comes from the timing. If they had placed him on IR before they were eliminated by the falcons win I don't think it would be as big an issue.

According to the few article I read the Packers did indeed violate the rule. They really screwed up by releasing Callahan when they brought Rodgers back. Had they released someone else they wouldn't have had to bring in another QB when it was decided to shelve Aaron Rodgers for good. I think they knew they were only going to start Aaron Rodgers as long as they still had a chance to make the playoffs and they should have figured that it may be only for one week. The way it was they needed to bring in another QB and they needed to create a roster spot so they had to either release someone else or put someone on IR. they should have known that they couldn't put Aaron Rodgers back on IR and with only two games remaining they could have just as easily made it Adams or any one of the other guys they probably knew they were going to have inactive the following week anyway.

Unless new information comes out the bottom line is the Packers cheated. They will probably be fined and they may have to give up a draft pick. I just hope they don't make us release him to waivers. The Browns would be sure not to mess up on this one.
sschind
6 years ago

I think the difference is the new IR to return rules... where in the past the players was just inactive.

That or they claim a new injury or a relapse of the injury has accrued.

Though they're saying based on return from IR rules, that if Rodgers went back to the IR, it had to be from a new injury. If that's true and correct, then Packers most likely did violate the rules. If that is mistake, and Rodgers old injury can still count, OR if the Packers claim he got a new major injury, then they didn't break the rules. But the punishment is basically anything the commissioner wants to make it.

And while the NFL dislike the Packers for the purpose of throwing any sort of larger event here, the commissioner does seem to want to kiss a little Packers butt around time of Packers Stockholder Meeting, since Packers are the only team that publicly release their numbers.

If anything comes of this, it will probably just be a warning or a fine. With a small chance of a draft pick, but I'm thinking that's unlikely.

Originally Posted by: beast 

You beat me to it beast.

beast
6 years ago

I actually like the rule. IR is supposed to be for players who are to hurt to play for the whole season or at least a significant amount of time. I do like the ability to be able to return a couple of players from IR but I don't think it was intended to be used like the Packers used it. If a player is healthy enough to come back from IR and play in one game I don't think it is right to be able to say oops, I guess we were wrong and put him back on IR with the same injury.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

I agree that the rule was not intended to be used like the Packers used it... but I honestly don't mind teams using it in that way... say due to an injury, we're shutting a guy down for the rest of the year. Of course maybe their should be a new IR for that... one that just says we can't replace his spot with a PS player from another team or something.

As for the IR to return... I dislike that it's limited to 2... I feel it should be an all or nothing rule... that all players on the IR are allowed to return after missing _ number of weeks or none of them. I think it should be an DL rule sorta like I think baseball has.

Had they released someone else they wouldn't have had to bring in another QB when it was decided to shelve Aaron Rodgers for good.

They did release FB Kerridge to claim C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

bottom line is the Packers cheated

I think "cheated" is the wrong phrase... I think "screwed up", or "made an error" would be more correct, as I don't feel as the Packers got any advantage, other than not having to address the media about Rodgers being on the inactive list and getting to sign C Dillon Day from the Broncos' PS.

UserPostedImage
beast
6 years ago
Well Andrew Brandt seems to think this is all about nothing...

Brandt's reaction to teams want Rodgers released due to this violation

IF the NFL has approved the move, then this is basically on the NFL and off the Packers (at least in my mind)
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
I don't know the rules but I wondered why GB would be able to put him into a game then place him back on IR. Without some teeth to the rules teams could play havoc with it.
Maybe GB will have to give up a draft pick.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
6 years ago
Update 

Rule will be tweaked.

The NFL classifies injuries as "major" or "minor" based on whether it will take more or less than six weeks for the player to recover. In essence, a player placed on IR with a minor injury is subject to waivers after he recovers. In Rodgers' case, the question is what happened during his Dec. 17 start against the Carolina Panthers to put him in the "major" category.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
packerfanoutwest (10h) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (15h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (17h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (17h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (20h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (20h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (20h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (21h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (21h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

14h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.