wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy said the NFL's competition committee wants injury rates on kickoffs to drop, or else it will recommend eliminating them.

Continue Reading @ ESPN 

ESPN wrote:

I guess I am ready to put the ball at the 20 or 25 instead of having a kickoff return.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
Speaking selfishly, I received a brutal concussion during a kickoff return. I was a wedge guy running head to head into a guy coming down the field. He was k.o.'d and I was out on my feet. That was the basically the end of a marginally promising career.

So, I would say, start on the 25. There are an inordinate number of touch-backs anyway. If they move the kickoff point back even further to avoid touch-backs, the speed of the players will only increase, as will the likelihood of injury.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
PackFanWithTwins
6 years ago
It would be interesting to see the numbers on what the injuries are and what the rate of them is for Kick-offs. what about punts? If they take away kick offs, you are going to have an extra probably 10-12 regular plays, so there will be an increase of those injuries. And an increase pounding between Oline and Dline which is probably the place where the most look at brain injury needs to take place.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Porforis
6 years ago
For what little this is worth, I can't recall an injury during a kickoff in years in a Packers game at least.
Zero2Cool
6 years ago

For what little this is worth, I can't recall an injury during a kickoff in years in a Packers game at least.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Terrence Murphy comes to mind, but that was back in 2005 I think. That and usually those injured on kickoffs are 3rd and 4th string players that we really don't hear much about.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
6 years ago
Punts are not as bad because most of the contact is initiated at low velocity ( at the line of scrimmage) Granted, when the returner is coming down with the ball he can be hit as our high rate of speed, but most of the rest of the guys are not going that fast as contact is initiated.

On the same principle, I would wager that offensive and defensive lineman are the least concussed, despite the repetitive number of hits, because they’re just not getting up to velocity before contact is initiated.

if you really wanted to lower the number of concussions, you have to modify or get rid of artificial turf. It speeds up the game, and, I don’t care what anybody says, does not provide the same amount of cushion as grass does it normal temperatures.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
yooperfan
6 years ago
Hell, just turn the NFL into flag football NOW and save the cute little adjustments and gnashing of teeth.
Football as we have known it will be dead in another decade anyway.
isocleas2
6 years ago
We now know what effect these hits are having on our brains, there's no question some changes will have to occur if the game is to survive
TheKanataThrilla
6 years ago
You could do the CFL rule. You kick off on TDs and you spot it on FGs. The only problem with this rule is the elimination of onside kicks that add to the drama at the end of a game. Sometimes you take the FG and hope for the onside kick. That would be eliminated under CFL rules as you would need the TD to do the onside kick.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
6 years ago

Punts are not as bad because most of the contact is initiated at low velocity ( at the line of scrimmage) Granted, when the returner is coming down with the ball he can be hit as our high rate of speed, but most of the rest of the guys are not going that fast as contact is initiated.

On the same principle, I would wager that offensive and defensive lineman are the least concussed, despite the repetitive number of hits, because they’re just not getting up to velocity before contact is initiated.

if you really wanted to lower the number of concussions, you have to modify or get rid of artificial turf. It speeds up the game, and, I don’t care what anybody says, does not provide the same amount of cushion as grass does it normal temperatures.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Problem solved.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.