nerdmann
5 years ago

The Packers began mandatory minicamp on Tuesday and the primary objective was to get the rookies up to speed. At 79 degrees and 65% humidity, the Packers'  first day of minicamp was no joke today. The muggy weather didn’t stop the Packers from conducting a brisk and coordinated day of practice.
16 players were excused from the three-day minicamp including Aaron Rodgers , Jimmy Graham , David Bakhtiari  and Randall Cobb. After skipping the voluntary portions of the off-season, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix  was in attendance working with the secondary.
Here are a few key highlights:

Davante Adams  was in attendance working on a route tree while the younger receivers got in some special teams work. Adams looked crisp and caught anything within his catch radius. When he wasn’t running precise routes, he was seen helping out the younger receivers during footwork drills.
First-round pick Jaire Alexander  had a solid day of camp, except for a big pass interference call during the two-minute drill. He was working in the slot and on the outside communicating with the other corners on switches, where there was primarily five or more defensive backs on the field at all times.

Equanimeous St. Brown  caught a 20-yard touchdown pass during the two-minute drill from Brett Hundley. St. Brown caught the pass with one-hand under the arm of Jaire Alexander— this is where Alexander’s pass interference came in. Alexander was in great position, but he failed to turn for the ball. St. Brown worked primarily in the slot as well, for those keeping track of the receiver battle.

With plenty of veterans missing from minicamp, it’s hard to tell who may have risen or fallen on the depth chart. This was primarily about getting the young guys some work and maximizing the practice time that the NFL allows.
The Packers will continue with minicamp for two more days until they’re off before training camp in July.

[/URL]      

Continue Reading @ [url=https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/6/12/17456282/packers-minicamp-notebook-6-12-young-wrs-impress-following-adams-example]Jordan E. Smith 

Jordan E. Smith wrote:

EQ had the highlight today. Worked primarily in the slot.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
sschind
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

OK, you all know its coming after 1 day of camp so I will say it and get it out of the way.

"St. Brown worked primarily in the slot "

bye bye Randall Cobb
nerdmann
5 years ago

OK, you all know its coming after 1 day of camp so I will say it and get it out of the way.

"St. Brown worked primarily in the slot "

bye bye Randall Cobb

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Hey need another WR with at least a year of experience. I’m thinking probably Yancey or Gmo has a chance to beat out Cobb. We can get those 600 yards much more cheaply, imo.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
isocleas2
5 years ago
Since 2016, only Miami Dolphins receiver Albert Wilson has averaged more separation yardage (3.8) than Cobb (3.5), according to Next Gen Stats. That's it.

If the Packers can get another deep threat to emerge teams will stop playing so much press coverage and guys like Cobb will thrive underneath again.
Cheesey
5 years ago
I don’t understand all the hate for Cobb. Last season we didn’t have a QB for most of the year. When Cobb did get open, by the time Hundley saw it, Cobb was no longer open.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

I don’t understand all the hate for Cobb. Last season we didn’t have a QB for most of the year. When Cobb did get open, by the time Hundley saw it, Cobb was no longer open.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Hasn’t been worth the money since 2014, imo.

Not saying he sucks, but we can get the same production much, much cheaper.
sschind
5 years ago

Hey need another WR with at least a year of experience. I’m thinking probably Yancey or Gmo has a chance to beat out Cobb. We can get those 600 yards much more cheaply, imo.

If all he gives us is 600 yards then yeah, I agree but I still think Cobb has the potential to be a 1000+ yard double digit TD guy. I'm not sure Gmo or Yancy can do that. I know Cobb didn't do it until he did it so there is always hope for one of the youngsters but I've not seen anything from any of them that makes me think they can. Cobb has done it and I'm sure he can do it again. If he does his salary becomes a bit more in line.

The wild card is Rodgers of course. There is always a chance that if one of the young guys is put in the slot and gets the majority of snaps there that he can become a 1000 yd double digit TD guy simply because of this offense and Aaron Rodgers. I've always said that if they wanted to the Packers could have a top 3 TE and a top 5 WR simply be feeding them the ball but that's not the way our offense works. Spreading it around is the MO and I am perfectly fine with that.
sschind
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

I think the hate for Cobb is purely financial and I can understand it. Nerd has summed it up quite well. Maybe I'm just a guy who holds on to what once was a little too long at the expense of the what hasn't been and may be but I haven't seen it yet.
nerdmann
5 years ago

I think the hate for Cobb is purely financial and I can understand it. Nerd has summed it up quite well. Maybe I'm just a guy who holds on to what once was a little too long at the expense of the what hasn't been and may be but I haven't seen it yet.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Cobb is a slot guy. Not tall enough to line up on the perimeter. Problem is, he lost that short area burst and change of direction that made him special. He’s still quite young, but he just doesn’t have it anymore. Not that he can’t play, he’s just not special anymore. And oh yeah, our new TE is the “over the middle” guy now.

Add to that the fact that the new GM is on an analytics kick with these bigger taller faster guys. That seems like Goot’s philosophy. Does not bode well for Cobb, especially with that phat contract.

Cobb’s ace in the hole is that he can be the “slash” player, like Ty Montomgery. Mike and Aaron can’t get enough of that, because it helps them diagnose the coverage and get matchups. But Cobb is too small to do that on the regular. With Cobb, that’s more of a gadget scenario.
beast
5 years ago

A 6'5" slot guy? Sounds like a TE!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.