wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

-- A strong defensive line could get even stronger in Green Bay this year with a second-year jump from a not-so-talked-about player.
Montravius Adams, a third-round pick by the Packers in last year's draft, is in the middle of what he -- and everyone else -- is hoping to be a full and healthy training camp.
Adams made it through the offseason program and minicamp in 2017, however, suffered a foot stress fractured on just the second day of training camp that later required surgery.
He may have missed the entire preseason, but in year two, he'll have a chance to redeem himself and show that he can be more than just a bottom-of-the-barrel depth piece for the Packers' defensive line.
"Really, I just want to be able to get on the field and play and just be healthy," Adams told Michael Cohen of The Athletic on Saturday . "Last year was a big letdown for me as a person. I mean, not only do I feel like I let down my team but just myself. That's what really hurt me."
In the Packers' first padded practice of the summer, Adams won three consecutive one-on-one drills, piecing together what may have been his most impressive practice to date.
"Now I'm back. I feel great. I feel like any time the coaches put me in a position, I feel like I can do what I need to do."
New defensive coordinator Mike Pettine specializes in filling the defensive line with big bodies, utilizing heavy-set players to either clog running lanes or generate enough pass rush to push the opposing offensive line backward. Adams, 6-4, 304 pounds, is nothing short of expectations.
The Packers already have Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Muhammad Wilkerson and Dean Lowry as their projected front-four, but there's no doubt that Adams could find a way to earn himself some snaps with a solid camp and an even better preseason.
"He’s hungry," Daniels said after Saturday's practice . "That’s what you want out of all of your teammates. You want guys that will come in there and compete.
"Being an older guy in the same room as them, you want younger guys to push you with the way that they practice, perform and compete, and I think he’s been bringing that edge and he’s only going to get better. I’m really excited to watch him grow, and you can see him grow each and every day."
The Packers also drafted defensive end James Looney with one of their seventh-round picks in April and signed defensive tackle Joey Mbu in June, so there's far from a shortage of depth anywhere along the defensive front.
Only four practices are under the Packers' belts, so up to this point, any positive news leak should be taken with a grain of salt. But winning one-on-ones and exhibiting speed off the ball in team drills is a promising sign -- potentially of things to come -- for someone with as much to prove as Adams.
"The benefit from being here throughout the season and the offseason, I think he's in much better shape," Coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. "I thought he did some really good things in the first day of pads, but collectively as a football team, we've got a long ways to go.
"He's more comfortable with what we're asking him to do, so I think he's off to a good start."

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

Even if it is way too early in TC to get very excited it is nice to have some good news when it comes to injuries. Having Adams in the DL rotation will allow everyone to get some rest during the game.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago
I'd really love to have Montravius step up for us like that.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (2h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (2h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (2h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (3h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (3h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (5h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (10h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (10h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.