Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Not only does neither Matthews nor Kendricks lift the quarterback off the turf, both actually directing their force at a downward vector toward the turf from the moment of impact.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

Not only does neither Matthews nor Kendricks lift the quarterback off the turf, both actually directing their force at a downward vector toward the turf from the moment of impact.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Kendricks torqued his body to bring Rodgers into the ground. If you watch the replay, and the second view you see that clear as day. I haven't seen that from Clay's hit. I'll look more.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
5 years ago

According to Tony Corrente, the penalty was called because the official saw Clay Matthews pick the quarterback off his feet. Leaving aside the question of whether that should be against the rules (personally, I don't think so, but that's beside the point), the video evidence showed conclusively that Matthews never did any such thing. If the league is going to stem the rising tide of fan disenchantment, they're going to have to implement some mechanism for overturning obviously erroneous judgment calls in a manner that doesn't cost teams for availing themselves of it. Your idea seems as good as any. It should be available for any penalty that results in change of possession or automatic first down. Ideally, it would be available for any fifteen-yard penalty or spot foul, but I think my suggestion would be a good first step.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

What about literally extending the challenge system to allow for penalties as well? Don't give people another challenge, keep the existing challenge system and have the call reviewed by an official in the booth or the league office. The prospect of losing a time out and your challenge should hopefully keep challenges to a minimum and keep the game moving.
Zero2Cool
5 years ago

What about literally extending the challenge system to allow for penalties as well? Don't give people another challenge, keep the existing challenge system and have the call reviewed by an official in the booth or the league office. The prospect of losing a time out and your challenge should hopefully keep challenges to a minimum and keep the game moving.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

I vote no. I vote less rules and the remaining rules need to be more black/white. If there's too much of a gray area or judgement needed, then the rule should be changed to be more black/white. Let the fans enjoy the damn moment of the game instead of tempering excitement waiting for a flag, or no flag.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
The NFL is not backing down from this penalty call. In fact, they're doubling down by using that play in an instructional video showing how the tackle did represent an infraction.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago

1. It can slow the play down even more as the refs run into a huddle to see if play X did something to player Y.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I thought of that too, but these days it's not uncommon to see officials huddle up even when no flag is called, so it might not make all that big a difference.

2. Loyalty. These guys work together a lot of games. Some of them do DI college games too. Too often one ref will kowtow to another for the sake of "Their Team".

So what you're saying is that it would maintain the status quo? 😝

3. Having one or 2 officials in NYC review infractions also leads to more uniformity of the rules.

I like the idea in theory, but I think this is the option that's most likely to lead to excessive slowdowns in game action. We've seen some of these conference calls last four or five minutes. I can only imagine that adding even more of them would take on a significant amount of time to game broadcasts.

It's definitely a pickle but something worth pondering.

UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

The play would have been upheld if if challenged. The NFL is saying it was a penalty and not a mistake. They are even using it as a typical example of what is not allowed. As much as it sucks it was and will continue to be a foul. What remains to be seen is if it will be continued to be called as a foul. That will be up to the referees.

It sucks all around. We are going to see great tackles being flagged for roughing the passer... or we won't.

sschind
5 years ago

Kendricks torqued his body to bring Rodgers into the ground. If you watch the replay, and the second view you see that clear as day. I haven't seen that from Clay's hit. I'll look more.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

I can see what you are talking about with the torquing of the body but IMO you are looking for something to justify the call. You are right that it isn't there on Clay's hit

IMO neither hit should be a penalty.
TheKanataThrilla
5 years ago
Eli was getting pummeled far worse than Cousins last night. Heck even Tom Brady took a worse shot. It seems the league gets rid of one means to control the outcome of the game with the catch rule and replaced it with another. Is this the NFL getting to be WWE NFL, before the XFL comes back?
Porforis
5 years ago

I vote no. I vote less rules and the remaining rules need to be more black/white. If there's too much of a gray area or judgement needed, then the rule should be changed to be more black/white. Let the fans enjoy the damn moment of the game instead of tempering excitement waiting for a flag, or no flag.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well I mean, that's also my first choice by far, the less subjective the rules the less issues there'll be. And fans can grow up and live with an imperfect world where refs without the luxury of super slow mo instant replay make real-time calls that sometimes are right and sometimes are wrong.

Fixing overlegislation by further legislation is laughably insane, but I know reducing the complexity of the rulles will never happen in today's world, thus my original idea.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (20h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (22h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.