beast
5 years ago

For FAs I like Golden Tate and John Brown...

Originally Posted by: beast 

dairylandexpress wrote an article  on their top 3 FA slot WRs and they had Brown and Tate but one guy over him...ADAM HUMPHRIES. Bucs slot WR has over 600 yards in each of the last 3 years.

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
5 years ago

I've not read anyone mention Geronimo Allison. He should be recovered and back to form soon. I believe that he will regain a starting position, could be the Slot Receiver.

Disguising what plays that are to be run will be a strong part of what LaFleur's offensive system is about. It does not however eliminate bigger/faster receivers who catch the deep balls for large chunks of yardage. Nor does it preclude a slot receiver or running back catching passes for short gains In addition look for more running plays too and All from the same offensive set. Also look for the TE to be more of a blocker than GB has been used to seeing.

The Rams offense is what LaFleur will be emulating, but also look for LaFleur to add his own twist to make it a unique team offense. The McVey/Shanahan Offense would have worked better last year for the 49ers had it not been for key injuries, but look for SF to be more competitive next year. GB should find it easy to install the new offensive sys. The HC, his Staff, and the GM will I'm sure fill/replace any positions that they feel will be needed to give the Packers a better chance to win moving forward.

IMO, with the new O System in mind, GB will need to look very hard at getting an Offensive Tackle. I like Bulaga, but he does get hut and miss games. I'd be looking for one in the Free Agents/upcoming draft class.

I've not forgotten that GB needs a great new Edge Rusher, so the GM is going to be a busy fellow.

Originally Posted by: Smokey 

Gmo is a tall, slow guy. He's not the smaller, quick twitch guy. Anyway, he's gotta beat out Kumerow for the last WR spot next year.

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Smokey
5 years ago

Gmo is a tall, slow guy. He's not the smaller, quick twitch guy. Anyway, he's gotta beat out Kumerow for the last WR spot next year.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I mentioned Geronimo Allison mostly because no one else did. As for a slot receiver needing to be a small man to catch footballs in the middle of the field, I've seen plenty of very large TEs catch a ton of footballs in the middle of football fields. Allison may/may not be a Packer next season, but the sacrifice he paid with his injury should ensure that he will get a fair shot in 2019. If he does not make the cut, then I'm sure that some other team will snap him up quick.

I'd like to just see how the 2nd yr. WRs look. I don't like Cobb and would like to see him traded. If I were the GM, I'd like to try something just a little different. My idea is to look at the College (draftable) Running Backs and at the available FA Running Backs for the most sure handed pass catchers. Retain the best available and groom the fellow as a monster slot receiver. It would revolutionize the position if it were found to work well. They used the WR Montgomery as a RB and it was not a total failure.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Davante Adams is very much like that. If he wasn't #1, I could see him lining up in the slot and getting open over the middle. But he's an outside guy, because he's the only thoroughbred we've got. I mean yeah, Quez and EQ are pretty good. They will probably be able to line up on the perimeter and get it done. But that hasn't been proven consistently, yet.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

Why does that exclude him from being a slot receiver, though? Greg Jennings was the big go to guy in '08 and '09, Nelson had not really shown anything yet and James Jones was his below average self. The only other guy we had was Driver, really. But that didn't stop us from lining up Jennings in the slot quite a bit.

Next to that, I don't know if the slot position is still a position that's manned by a shifty 5'10 guy who runs a 5 yard route in today's NFL. Some of the best slot guys last year were Adam Thielen, Smith-Schuster and Tyler Boyd. Those guys are all 6'1, 200+ possesion receivers who don't really blow you away with their physical attributes.

That's exactly what Davante could be.

Especially if MVS takes another step and flies along the boundries at 6'4, 210 with 4.35-4.40 speed and one of the other young guys emerges. Or we go receiver in the draft early and get a guy like Parris Campbell. Then you're pretty much set at the position.

Of course, that's a lot of what-ifs, but I don't see us spending (a lot) of money at the position, looking at our current roster and other holes.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago

Why does that exclude him from being a slot receiver, though? Greg Jennings was the big go to guy in '08 and '09, Nelson had not really shown anything yet and James Jones was his below average self. The only other guy we had was Driver, really. But that didn't stop us from lining up Jennings in the slot quite a bit.

Next to that, I don't know if the slot position is still a position that's manned by a shifty 5'10 guy who runs a 5 yard route in today's NFL. Some of the best slot guys last year were Adam Thielen, Smith-Schuster and Tyler Boyd. Those guys are all 6'1, 200+ possesion receivers who don't really blow you away with their physical attributes.

That's exactly what Davante could be.

Especially if MVS takes another step and flies along the boundries at 6'4, 210 with 4.35-4.40 speed and one of the other young guys emerges. Or we go receiver in the draft early and get a guy like Parris Campbell. Then you're pretty much set at the position.

Of course, that's a lot of what-ifs, but I don't see us spending (a lot) of money at the position, looking at our current roster and other holes.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I wouldn't mind taking a stud WR with the Saints pick. Campbell has speed but so does Marquise Brown. One of the concerns with Campbell is that he drops the ball. No one around here knows the college kids as well as you Rocky. Who is the best route running, sure handed receiver available? If he has half way decent speed that is someone they can work with.

Kelvin Harmon?
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
Receiver - General Comments
[list][*]Tate - No factual basis for this, but I have a negative gut feeling on Tate. 3 teams in 4 years...there is typically a reason.[/list][list][*]Graham - GONE. Can't Block, and now no separation.[/list][list][*]Adam Humphries - very intriguing idea. Would he rather have Jameis Winston or Rodgers throwing to him. [/list][list][*]I fully expect two of the 3, Tonyan, Kendricks and Lewis back at TE. They can all block and can be effective in ML's offense.[/list][list][*]RockM had a excellent observation on Adams, why not play him out of the slot. He is a match-up issue in that he has the quicks, and size. [/list]
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Rockmolder
5 years ago

I wouldn't mind taking a stud WR with the Saints pick. Campbell has speed but so does Marquise Brown. One of the concerns with Campbell is that he drops the ball. No one around here knows the college kids as well as you Rocky. Who is the best route running, sure handed receiver available? If he has half way decent speed that is someone they can work with.

Kelvin Harmon?

Originally Posted by: wpr 

You're giving me a bit too much credit there. I'd like to see what Porky has to say about this draft. He's always spot-on.

Kelvin Harmon's an interesting guy. (Most likely) not that good on the speed side of things, but very reliable hands, good routes, hard worker and finds space in the zone.
beast
5 years ago

Receiver - General Comments
[list]

• Tate - No factual basis for this, but I have a negative gut feeling on Tate. 3 teams in 4 years...there is typically a reason.[/list][list]
  • Graham - GONE. Can't Block, and now no separation.[/list]

Originally Posted by: KRK 

• At first the Tate commit confused me, because in the last 10 years he's only been on 3 teams... but (I think) you meant if he has a new team next year, it will be 3 teams in 2 years. Though I'm not sure I can blame him for being traded once and then using his FA rights... especially when the media/fans started speculating that he might hold out for a contract extension, he basically said heck no because “I signed a five-year contract and I’m going to honor it,” Tate said. “I love the game a lot. I want to be out here around the guys.” 
    So I can't blame Tate for being traded one, and then following the money in FA... though what I can blame him for is (seemingly) losing the starters job... he used to start all 16 games, then this year was only starting about half of them... of course he's still #2 on the team in receiving yards.

If Graham is kept, I wonder if people are gonna be upset... because there seems to be a growing assumption that since he's not a blocking TE he'll be automatically gone...

UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    I would be disappointed, assuming my limited understanding of the cap is correct, his money could be used elsewhere, unlike Perry's.
    In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
    beast
    5 years ago

I would be disappointed, assuming my limited understanding of the cap is correct, his money could be used elsewhere, unlike Perry's.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

All unspent money could be used elsewhere... so I'm confused as to why you said "unlike Perry's"... both Graham's and Perry's saved money can be used else where.

The dead cap space is simply signing bonuses that have already been paid out, and therefore not saved money (and still needs to be accounted for, as NFL forced teams to account for it over 5 years or length of their contract if signed for shorter number of years.

But if they release Perry they could use all $24 million that they saved... only $3 million can be accounted for in the 2019 season, but every time a players signs a muli-year deal, they're tying up future cap space, so that other $21 million ($10.6 in 2020 and $10.4 in 2021) is still available to the team.

With Graham they would save $13.33 million over two years ($5.33 in 2019 and $8 million in 2020).

Edit: My numbers are a bit off: I think I screwed up and mixed the Cap accounting with the cash... I know believe Perry would save $31.7375 million over 3 years... and Graham would save $17 million over two years.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
    dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
    dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
    Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
    Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
    dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
    dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
    packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
    beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

18h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

19h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

20h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.