KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
A non-Super Bowl tidbit: When the #Packers prepare for the offseason, they do so with the belief that TE Jimmy Graham will be back for 2019, source said. He’s due a $5M roster bonus on 3/15, and the expectation now is they pay it and he returns. Another season with Aaron Rodgers.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) January 29, 2019

If so, a dumb move. The first time was stupid, to do it twice is very bothersome. I hope the report is wrong.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
5 years ago
In our world, Tweets are now Reports.

I would be fine moving on from Jimmy Graham. If we're going to a more running offensive scheme, I would think we need blocking TE's more than vertical "threat" TE's. I used quotes around threat because I'm not sure how much of a threat Graham is vertically anymore.
UserPostedImage
beast
5 years ago
I'm more wondering about Nick Perry...

The news that they're keeping Graham wouldn't surprise me at all... I"m expecting that... and then the fans to complain, and then to wait and see if they can get the fans to relax during the season or not... but as Martellus Bennett and Mercedes Lewis agreed about, Mike McCarthy offense is tough for TEs... and Lewis said he wants to come back to Green Bay in a new system.

Bennett said McCarthy's offense was the worst offense for TEs, and Lewis followed in agreement saying "no question" (about that).[/u] Bennett's reasoning was that the TEs don't run the seam, deep 7 nor deep over routes in MM's offense, which are very successful for TEs in other offenses.

Originally Posted by: beast 

UserPostedImage
sschind
5 years ago
I think its clear we will know the Packers intentions with Graham by march 15th. They will either cut him before then or keep him. If they cut him before they will have a dead cap hit of 7 million dollars. If they keep him they have a cap hit of 12.5. They can save a little over 5 million if they cut him. The question is can they replace him for a little over 5 million dollars? What he did last year? Maybe but I am confident he can do much better.

The problem with cutting him is if they do the TE position INSTANTLY becomes a major concern. Perhaps the biggest concern on the team. Yes even ahead of EDGE and OL for two reasons. First I see no TEs in FA that I would like to rely on as our #1 TE going into 2019. Maybe Cook if we could convince him to return but I'm not sure how that would go. Second even if we draft Hockenson or Fant or Smith Jr. we are depending on a rookie to be our #1 TE. Don't tell me you are comfortable with Tonyan as our #1 as you would be full of crap. He made one nice catch on a throw I'm not convinced would have been made had Rodgers known it was him instead of Graham. If we wanted to there are some pretty good Edge guys and O linemen available in FA that we could address those problem areas with. That's why I think, without graham, TE could be a bigger problem than those two areas.

Its possible a guy like Hockenson, Fant or Smith Jr. could come in and be as productive as Graham was last year but I would rather roll with Graham and still draft one of those guys and groom him as the starter in 2020. Besides, counting on drafting one of them really ties your hands as the draft develops.

On the other hand, if blocking is going to be such a huge part of the TEs role in LaFleur's new offense maybe getting rid of him and finding a temporary FA would be a smart move. I do feel that if Rodgers comes back rejuvenated as some have said the need for a great play making TE would be lessened but if he does come back I think what he and Graham could do could be very exciting as opposed to making do with someone else.

Even if they sign a FA I would still like to see them draft one of the top 3 TEs though. Not at #12 obviously at 30 I would strongly consider it and at 44 it would be a no brainer. I wouldn't even mind seeing us move up in the second if one of those three were to fall.
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
Will a rejuvenated Rodgers fix Graham's woes though? He dropped a few perfect passes and a few others that, while not as pretty as they could have been, were nevertheless catchable.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
5 years ago
Whether you keep him or not, its a major concern, so why spend the money to keep him?
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
beast
5 years ago

Whether you keep him or not, its a major concern, so why spend the money to keep him?

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Either because they like wasting money, or because they disagree with your premise that it's a major concern even with him and because he's part of the future plan.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
5 years ago
I don't know if Graham is worth the money he is getting but GB will almost certainly be a weaker team without him.

Graham was #2 in receptions, targets and yards. After a look at football reference's page he is # 3 in Approximate Value behind Adams' 10 and Jones' 6. Graham had a value of 5. Williams and MVS both had 4. Cobb 3. So fine, throw Graham out. Who do you have to replace his numbers? At this point in time I don't see Kendricks or Lewis stepping up.

I am willing to say that a smart part of the issue with Graham was his broken thumb and next year will be a little better. Unless someone has a better option then by all means, toss the bugger out.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
5 years ago
I think Graham is an average starting TE at this point (above average receiver, below average blocker). He's getting paid too much in an absolute sense, but practically it's a little different.

If GB can cut him and sign a player that is better than him for the cost (or less), of his 2019 salary minus the dead cap hit, then absolutely go for it. Otherwise, it's sort of dumb that they gave him that contract, but cutting him makes the team worse and doesn't free up much money.

Another average starting TE is probably going to cost at least $5m per year or whatever the number is, and a draft pick will probably take a year to get up to speed. So I do not see what cutting him accomplishes. There is also the chance that with another year on the team, he'll do better and/or that the new coach will use him better. At this point it's a pretty low risk to find out.

2020 is another story, I believe they can cut him with a minimal cap hit? So unless he turns around and has an awesome year I would expect him to be gone.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
5 years ago
It's hard to know if Lewis would step up. He was hardly targeted all year.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
earthquake (1h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (4h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (7h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (8h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.