Zero2Cool
5 years ago
Free Agency is shark invested water. We should stay away. Draft and Develop!
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That will get you fired!
šŸ˜
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
5 years ago
This forum is about ideas and a draft board changes tremendously contingent up FA signings. All of us agree with in OL and DL (incl. edge) help. Thus, naming names is essential or we are just twiddling our thumbs.
Beast said

I think sacks are a bit over rated. Pressure is just as important. Granted, most of your guys getting lots of sacks also generate....

SPOT ON. It is about team sacks and pressures. If one guy on the edge doesn't do his job, but gets lots of sacks, it hurts overall defensive performance.
Back to naming names...
[list][*]Preston Smith seems like he could be a reasonably low cost, good value pick-up. He is young, could start/rotate in. Kirk Olivadotti knows him and if he likes him, expect the Packers will make a strong effort to land him IMO[/list] [list][*]Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now[/list]
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Rockmolder
5 years ago

Then why the hell are you bitching at us to post names if you fucking won't? You're being a hypocrite!

Rockmolder was extremely nice going out of his way to get you a link and indulge you TWICE... and you blew him off!

Originally Posted by: beast 

I'm not bothered, although I don't know why you'd do your best to steer a discussion in a certain way if you have zero intention of joining in.

Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now

Good points. I agree that he's shown he can play, that $ 11.1 million in dead cap is way too much when he's hitting for $ 14.4 when on the roster and that the time off may have been good for him.

I don't know if you can count on him, though. I'd treat him like a bonus if he does produce, but go into the draft and free agency like you have a gap to fill.
sschind
5 years ago

That will get you fired!
šŸ˜

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

Yeah, but not for a long time.
beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
5 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

To a certain degree yes... or just be careful when you talk your Gamble's.

Beast said SPOT ON.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

Thanks, but I think that's sschind's comment

That's the main reason I think sacks are a bit over rated. Pressure is just as important.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

IMO[/list] [list]

• Nick Perry. I know I will be roundly criticized, but I am willing to give the guy another shot. When healthy (not often enough) (i) he has been terrific as setting an edge on runs and (ii) in pass rush (per above). (iii) He has had an extensive off-season to heal up. (iv) And you save very little by cutting him now[/list]

• I don't think the $24 million you would save by cutting Perry before the 3rd day of the new league year should be considered very little...
    Yes you would only save $3 million in 2019 cap, but $21 million over the next two years... that's because all the dead cap space for the three years attacks the first year only (unless you use the post June designation).

So if they release Perry before his bonus on the 3rd day of the new year, Packers can save $24 million over 3 years... Next year I believe they can save $14 million over two years.

I'm not bothered, although I don't know why you'd do your best to steer a discussion in a certain way if you have zero intention of joining in.

Originally Posted by: Rockmolder 

I probably over reacted but I HATE seeing nice people jerked around... and he just blew you off when you gave him respect of listening and willing to follow him.

UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    I find the cap rules confusing, so I am not looking for an argument, but I would love an explanation. So if someone could talk to me like I'm ignorant, but not stupid, I would appreciate it. šŸ˜ I am guessing others would as well.
    Beast said:

So if they release Perry before his bonus on the 3rd day of the new year, Packers can save $24 million over 3 years... Next year I believe they can save $14 million over two years.

So here is my questions predicated on my understanding (which may not be correct):
    [list]
  • If they chose to keep Perry, what is the incremental cap hit to keeping him this year?[/list][list][*]If they cut him I am assuming they could not use the (dead cap) money on others...Correct?[list][*]When you say they save $24mm, I had thought they couldn't spend the money on others...is this assumption correct?[/list]
  • The net of my rationale, which may not have been correct, was that if (i) they only had to spend an additional $3mm AND (ii) they could just as easily cut him after next year if he weren't working out AND (iii) they couldn't spend the money on anyone else then I think they should take the risk.
    beast
    • beast
    • Select Member Topic Starter
    5 years ago

I find the cap rules confusing, so I am not looking for an argument, but I would love an explanation. So if someone could talk to me like I'm ignorant, but not stupid, I would appreciate it. šŸ˜ I am guessing others would as well.

I've never been the best at explaining things (even when I know them extremely well), but I'll surely give it a shot, but wait to start off by noting a couple of things...

The NFL cap is confusing for two main reasons
    1) It's the NFL's own version of an single year accounting system (when normally people are used to Cash basis system and multiple years)

2) The Media, fans, etc, bounce back and forth between the cap accounting system, and the normal cash basis system that we're used to, and that just add a hell lot of confusion to it, as you have to then break them apart in your mind.

I would strongly encourage anyone trying to understand NFL contracts, to mainly follow the money (and averages), and ignore the cap as much as possible... as it's a misleading, complex, 1 year accounting system, that all evens out at the end of players contract, but not during it.... so instead of following the accounting, FOLLOW THE MONEY!

So here is my questions predicated on my understanding (which may not be correct):
    [list]

• If they chose to keep Perry, what is the incremental cap hit to keeping him this year?[/list]
  • [list]
  • If they cut him I am assuming they could not use the (dead cap) money on others...Correct?
  • [list]
  • When you say they save $24mm, I had thought they couldn't spend the money on others...is this assumption correct?[/list]
  • The net of my rationale, which may not have been correct, was that if (i) they only had to spend an additional $3mm AND (ii) they could just as easily cut him after next year if he weren't working out AND (iii) they couldn't spend the money on anyone else then I think they should take the risk.

Perry's contract on spotrac
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/nick-perry-9838/ 

1) That wording is confusing because you're mixing the multiple year concept (incremental) with the single year account system term (cap hit)... so I would prefer to the term incremental cost hit (the cost of keeping Perry another year is) the amount of cash he's actually earning this year (yearly earning).. which is $10,737,500 (located on the very far right on spotrac contract).

That yearly earning (unearned so far), plus signing bonus average (earned already) is what equals the single year cap hit.... so most of the time people are using the cap hit as far as what a guy is going to make/cost the team, but that's mistaken because that signing bonus average makes the cap number misleading about what they're actually earning that year.

2) Correct, dead money is dead (unusable)... actually dead money is usually the players signing bonus money that was paid to them when they signed the contract... so it's already in the players bank account... so teams can't use it, because it's already been used.

The reason they spread it over the first 5 years of a players contract is because the accounting system is a one year system, and teams would be over the limit if they had to account for the entire signing bonus in a single year. Example, Aaron Rodgers cap hit would be $66.9 million in 2018 (37.75% of the entire cap) if teams were forced to account for it all in the season they got it... so instead teams spread it over 5 years to give them some balance on the single year accounting system. So instead the Packers cap hit on Rodgers is only $20.9 million in 2018 and the rest is spread out on the next four years.

3) No, the $24 million I'm talking about is LIVE money savings... and my math is wrong... as I freaking screwed up and mixed the accounting system (of saving $3 million next year) and the cash system (of saving $21 million over the last two years)... it's so freaking easy to do...

If I'm doing this correctly now it's actually more than $24 million... if they cut Perry before the $4.8M roster bonus is due on (3/15/2019), then the Packers actually save $31.7375 million over the next three years (I think, my brain is staying to fry from looking at this too much)

But Cash it's simply... Perry's Yearly Salary is $10,737,500 + $10.6 + $10.4 = $31.7375

Cap is more complex... but the Cap Hits are $14.4375 + $14.3 + $14.1 = $42.8375 MINUS the one year Dead Cap hit of $11.1 and you also get $31.7375.... so the cash and accounting balance... (but only $14.4375 minus the $11.1 = $3.3375 in the first year, 2019).

Just following the cash and average salary is so much easy than paying attention to the cap. Sorry I screwed up mixed the Accounting and Cash with the $24 šŸ˜ž ... it's so easy to do... I hope this helped some in your understanding contracts a bit better... though not completely I'm sure as it is confusing.
    UserPostedImage
    KRK
    • KRK
    • Veteran Member
    5 years ago
    Beast....sincere thanks....a truly helpful and excellent post.
    That really changes my opinion on Perry....his health history may not merit the risk. I hope they could restructure him as I think he is a really good player, if healthy.
    Now go watch the excellent Saints Rams game
    Rockmolder
    5 years ago
    Looks like pretty much everyone who posted in this thread is a happy customer today. Never imagined that.
    Fan Shout
    Zero2Cool (1h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
    Zero2Cool (3h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
    Zero2Cool (3h) : Insane about Kingsley
    dfosterf (6h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (6h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (6h) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (6h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (7h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (18h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (19h) : damn those vikings
    beast (19h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE ā€“ Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (19h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (19h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (19h) : OL ā€“ Donovan Jennings, USF OT ā€“ Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (19h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
    beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
    Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
    Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
    beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
    beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
    Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
    TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
    Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
    Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
    buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
    dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
    beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
    Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
    Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said heā€™s been told he wonā€™t slide past pick No. 16.
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    57m / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
    Copyright Ā© 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comā„¢. All Rights Reserved.