Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I'd take the new bike, which I'm guessing is maybe a lot nicer than the old one, and sell the broken one on Ebay as the bike JJ Watt broke.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

Facetiously stated, I am sure, but this is one reason why athletes do not want to sign things for people, even kids.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
4 years ago

Facetiously stated, I am sure, but this is one reason why athletes do not want to sign things for people, even kids.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That's why you buy the kid his bike of choice (within reason, no solid gold, diamond-studded bike for you smartass) and then give him a signed jersey or something. Fix the problem, give him a little something extra. If he decides to sell it... Well, he's still got the bike.
Cheesey
4 years ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Kevin, why should it bother rich athletes if some poor schmuck makes a few bucks off a signature? Is that somehow taking away from the millions the guy is making? I can understand not signing more then ONE item for a person, but not signing because someone might make a buck? If not for fans doling out their cash to see these guys, or to buy their merchandise, they wouldn’t be millionaires.
I have collected autographs for years. And I have never sold a single one! Many of them are on photos I took myself and they are one of a kind.
I’m like a little kid when I get a positive reaction from a player that’s willing to take a second to sign for me. I have even had some say “I never saw this picture before, where did you buy it?” It’s kind of cool to say “I didn’t buy it, I took it myself!”
I have one of Donald Driver at practice that he signed for me when he came back to GB to show off his dancing with the stars trophy. He really liked the photo!
Don’t the athletes realize that for every money guy there are guys like me that just want a autograph and a great memory to go with it? And they take that away from the REAL fans by saying “NO” to us and the little kids.
UserPostedImage
yooperfan
4 years ago

Kevin, why should it bother rich athletes if some poor schmuck makes a few bucks off a signature? Is that somehow taking away from the millions the guy is making? I can understand not signing more then ONE item for a person, but not signing because someone might make a buck? If not for fans doling out their cash to see these guys, or to buy their merchandise, they wouldn’t be millionaires.
I have collected autographs for years. And I have never sold a single one! Many of them are on photos I took myself and they are one of a kind.
I’m like a little kid when I get a positive reaction from a player that’s willing to take a second to sign for me. I have even had some say “I never saw this picture before, where did you buy it?” It’s kind of cool to say “I didn’t buy it, I took it myself!”
I have one of Donald Driver at practice that he signed for me when he came back to GB to show off his dancing with the stars trophy. He really liked the photo!
Don’t the athletes realize that for every money guy there are guys like me that just want a autograph and a great memory to go with it? And they take that away from the REAL fans by saying “NO” to us and the little kids.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Guys like you and me are an anomaly I guess.

Zero2Cool
4 years ago

It's not that some schmuck makes a few bucks off their signature that is the problem. There is a principle involved that goes beyond that. No one likes being taken advantage of. Look up at the sky, do you see the sky? Guess what, the sky looks the same to someone who is poor as it does to someone who has billions of dollars.

Financially stable or not, people are people and no one likes to be scammed.

Don't get me wrong, there are a crap load of players who couldn't give a damn. I'm just saying the ones who don't, the reason is generally because adults are using kids to get autographs to sell. Just maybe, MAYBE these folks don't like kids being used? Nah, they are RICH so why would they care about HUMAN BEINGS!!

I had the Sterling Sharpe rookie card (SCORE, the valuable one at the time) and I was bummed Sharpe blew me off when I asked to have him sign it. Years later someone told me it was a good thing Sharpe didn't sign it because then it wouldn't be worth anything. I was pretty pissed because I couldn't give two shits about the financial value. I wanted Sharpe's rookie card that HE signed for ME.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

That's why you buy the kid his bike of choice (within reason, no solid gold, diamond-studded bike for you smartass) and then give him a signed jersey or something. Fix the problem, give him a little something extra. If he decides to sell it... Well, he's still got the bike.

Originally Posted by: Porforis 

Did you mean to quote me? Because if you did, this doesn't make sense to me at all. If the comment was without the quote, it would make sense lol.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
Kevin, I get that no one likes to be scammed. But if that’s the reason they don’t sign, it’s not hurting the attempted scammer, its hurting the fans who, like you wanting Sharpes autograph, want that treasured keepsake. So a few jerks get in line to try to make a few bucks, and the athletes use that to hurt the REAL fans.
Some day those millionaires will WISH someone wanted their autograph.
And what about the fans that can’t get to Green Bay to get a treasured signature? Maybe the only way they can get one of their favorite player is to go on eBay and pay for one. So the scammer makes a few bucks and some person that lives far away can get one.
Is that so bad?
I think a lot of players use it as an excuse to blow off fans and not give a few minutes of their time to make someone’s day.
JMO of course.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

Kevin, I get that no one likes to be scammed. But if that’s the reason they don’t sign, it’s not hurting the attempted scammer, its hurting the fans who, like you wanting Sharpes autograph, want that treasured keepsake. So a few jerks get in line to try to make a few bucks, and the athletes use that to hurt the REAL fans.

Some day those millionaires will WISH someone wanted their autograph.

And what about the fans that can’t get to Green Bay to get a treasured signature? Maybe the only way they can get one of their favorite player is to go on eBay and pay for one. So the scammer makes a few bucks and some person that lives far away can get one.

Is that so bad?

I think a lot of players use it as an excuse to blow off fans and not give a few minutes of their time to make someone’s day.

JMO of course.

It's funny. You see them as millionaires and I see them as people. 😕

I don't understand why you're trying to argue with me. Did I not give you an autograph or something? Shoot, send me whatever it is you want signed and I'll ink it up!

I am going to disagree with you on your thinking that a lot of players use their signature being sold as an excuse to blow off fans and not make their day.

You have to understand that these are HUMAN BEINGS just like you, just like me, just like your neighbor. When they are out grocery shopping, they don't want to be stopped at every aisle by a flock of people asking for autographs.

Putting myself in their shoes (at least trying to). I would probably go the way of (I think) Dale Earnhardt Jr who basically signs anything and everything for everyone. If it's not that thorough, I do know he tries to sign as much as he can because he gets how people are about him and feels there will come a day (like you said) where people won't want his autograph or time.

Look, I am not saying I agree with athletes stiffing 100 people of a signature because 3 might sell it for a buck. I am saying I understand where they are coming from. Personally, I would hope I would sign everything for anyone because I know how valuable those memories are to me.

The amount of athletes who don't sign at games or practices is so fractional it's not even funny. Most athletes like signing for kids because they like making their day. Living in Green Bay you can run into a lot of Packers players. Sharpe is the ONLY one I remember ever telling me no on a signature. In fact, I don't think I ever asked again, but I bumped into a lot of players. Tuesday at Best Buy was a great time to find them! You would be amazed how many times I would just say hello you kicked ass vs whomever and they'd be like "hey man thanks, you want me to sign something for ya?"

I know you've had a lot of jaded experiences, but Alan, athletes are not bad people. There are so many who do so much good and go so far out of their way ... its mind boggling. It absolutely infuriates me how the media takes the less than 1% and writes article after article about the bad. There is so much good that we don't hear about and it's a shame.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago
This started out to be about a player living out the dream he had as a little boy and how exciting it was for him.
Not realizing that he was too big for the bike and then more than making up for the damage he caused.
Now it's been hijacked and has turned into a pissing match about the money made in the NFL. 🤬
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

This started out to be about a player living out the dream he had as a little boy and how exciting it was for him.
Not realizing that he was too big for the bike and then more than making up for the damage he caused.
Now it's been hijacked and has turned into a pissing match about the money made in the NFL. 🤬

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Split it out.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.