wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago
Prognosis is looking good for Gary.

If we rewind back to draft night in April, the Green Bay Packers were on the clock with the 12th overall pick. And while we never want to see the Packers drafting that high, there was still plenty of excitement given the caliber of player that would be coming to Green Bay for the 2019 season. A favorite of many Packer fans was edge-rusher Brian Burns who was still available at that time, as was tackle Andre Dillard. Yet to the surprise of many, Green Bay would select Rashan Gary from Michigan. 
Even with all of the mock drafts that take place before draft night, very few had Gary landing in Green Bay. Not to mention that he didn't have the gaudy numbers that many top prospects put up in college and there were some that questioned his effort down in and down out. But to that claim, it only takes watching a snap or two of Gary to know that statement is simply false. Yet with that said, many fans did not like the selection and many in the media questioned it. 
However, what the outside world thought didn't much matter because the Green Bay Packers loved Gary, especially outside linebackers coach Mike Smith who gave the young pass-rusher a glowing review shortly after OTAs had began:
"It's unbeliveable. A guy that size and that speed and that athleticism, I've never seen it. I've been in the league 11 years," Smith would also add , "At Kansas City, where I was at before here, they had Dee Ford - he's small, great get off - and we had Justin Houston, who's a big, strong guy. You get a guy like Gary that's both of them. When you're a tackle in this league, and you've got (to deal with) a guy that's got a get-off and speed and you're strong and you're powerful, it's a dangerous combination. We've just got to learn how to use those tools."
And as Smith put it, learning how to use those tools is going to be the key to Gary's success because physically he has everything you would want in an NFL edge-rusher. But to maximize that kind of potential it takes some time and there are aspects of the outside linebacker position at the NFL level that Gary needed to learn. Which obviously the Packers knew prior to drafting him. So this summer during training camp and the preseason, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine threw everything about the outside linebacker position at Gary, knowing full well they would rein it in and put him positions to succeed once the regular season began:
"Just teaching him the outside linebacker position, we knew that he was going to be a little bit of a work in progress. We're teaching him all of it," Pettine would say . "There are some things he's doing now he won't be doing in the regular season. As we get closer, we'll hone that down and get him in positions where he's ready to excel."
Through the first month of the regular season we saw Gary get the first sack of his career against the Denver Broncos but other than that his stat sheet was relatively empty and he wasn't necessarily jumping off the screen either. Which as Smith and Pettine had alluded to over the summer, was to be expected to some degree. So with Gary having a quiet start to his NFL career, Smith had a message for him prior to Green Bay's Monday Night matchup with Detroit, and in short, he wanted Gary to play more freely:
"My big thing with Gary is his self-confidence," said Smith in his weekly press conference . "Not worrying about making a mistake as much as making a big play. Go for the big play. You can't be half-pregnant. I think at times, he's so worried about making a mistake."
Well, Gary must have taken those words to heart, because over the next few games he would slowly start having more success. By the time the Packers had played their 10th game of the season, Gary had nine total pressures, six solo tackles, and a sack. Certainly not eye-popping numbers by any means but he was making progress. According to Pro Football Focus , from week 6 to week 10, Gary was the Packers' most improved defensive player as his overall grade jumped 27.3 points during that span. 
From his knowledge of the defense to his overall technique, Gary was making strides in the right direction and eventually the production was going to follow. And it looks like over the last three weeks, we are at that point.
Against Washington, Chicago, and Minnesota, Gary has recorded five total pressures, with one sack and eight total tackles, two of which have been for a loss. He also put together the best game of his short career when facing the Bears as he totaled three tackles, one of which was for a loss, along with a sack. Oh, and did I mention that he did all of that with just 46 total defensive snaps over the last three games? Both as a pass-rusher and as a run defender, Gary is getting better at just the right time for this Green Bay Packers team. 
At least for the time being, Rashan Gary is likely to remain a hot-button topic amongst the Packer faithful given his low snap count - just over 15 per game  - and overall production at this point in the season. However, it is clear that Green Bay has a plan for Gary and with Za'Darius Smith and Preston Smith ahead of him on the depth chart, as first year player, Gary doesn't have to be "the guy" right away. Instead, the Packers have the opportunity to bring him along slowy, which appears to working and could very well make him even better in the long run. Of course, in a perfect world the first round draft pick would step on the field and be a one man wrecking crew from Day 1, but Green Bay has the luxury to take their time with Gary's development and it is paying off.
Filed Under:[URL=/blog/category/featured" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Featured[/URL][URL=/blog/category/paul-bretl" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Paul Bretl[/URL][URL=/blog/category/columns-and-features" typeof="skos:Concept" property="rdfs:label skos:prefLabel" datatype="]Columns and Features[/URL]---------------------
Born and raised in Green Bay, WI and I still call it home. After my family, watching the Packers, sharing my opinions on the team through my writing and interacting with other fans is my greatest passion. You can find me on Twitter at @Paul_Bretl .

Continue Reading @ CheeseheadTV 

CheeseheadTV wrote:

UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
I noticed him a couple of times in the Vikings game. He’s definitely quick off the ball, that’s for sure. I’d like to see a lot more of him, maybe with Za’Darius lined up inside because I don’t want either of the Smiths off of the field.
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
I don’t know that I necessarily agree with the headline “luxury that is paying off.” With the number of needs at various positions, I continue to believe that the pick could’ve been used better elsewhere.

Has the kid made progress, absolutely!

I want to see him more on the field, not just in past rush situations. At this point in the season, I would really like to see him be able to give Za’Darius Smith a blow now and again. Not just when we move Smith inside.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I don’t know that I necessarily agree with the headline “luxury that is paying off.” With the number of needs at various positions, I continue to believe that the pick could’ve been used better elsewhere.

Has the kid made progress, absolutely!

I want to see him more on the field, not just in past rush situations. At this point in the season, I would really like to see him be able to give Za’Darius Smith a blow now and again. Not just when we move Smith inside.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

You don't draft for need. That's what failure teams do. You draft the best available player on your board.

Draft for the future, sign free agents to fill holes and add depth.

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
4 years ago

I noticed him a couple of times in the Vikings game. He’s definitely quick off the ball, that’s for sure. I’d like to see a lot more of him, maybe with Za’Darius lined up inside because I don’t want either of the Smiths off of the field.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

Z was out there for 47 out of 54 snaps. Gary was on the field for those plays. When Z is giving everything he's got, he has to take a break from time to time. He doesn't want to do it while on the field.

P Smith only took 1 play off.
UserPostedImage
gbguy20
4 years ago
Can we please stop referring to rest as a blow? Gary should not be "giving z a blow"
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
1. GBGUY: I apologize for using that term....it was prevalent back in my day and did not have the connotation it does today.....you know back when buggy whips and outhouses were still in daily use. In the future, I will use "rest" or "break".

2.. Z2C piously and passionately pontificated:

You don't draft for need. That's what failure teams do. You draft the best available player on your board.

That's BS. Almost everyone drafts for need other than the first round...and many times there too. Most teams skew their player rankings based on need. They just feed us the line "he was the top player on the board." Only teams that totally suck or are absolutely loaded take the top player on the board, sans need.

3. Now back to the topic of the thread...WPR wemarked:

Z was out there for 47 out of 54 snaps. Gary was on the field for those plays. When Z is giving everything he's got, he has to take a break from time to time. He doesn't want to do it while on the field.

An excellent point. I want to see Gary in for Z Smith and Fackrell in for P Smith (though probably not at the same time) to give these guys a BREAK for a series or two.
Zero2Cool
4 years ago

1. GBGUY: I apologize for using that term....it was prevalent back in my day and did not have the connotation it does today.....you know back when buggy whips and outhouses were still in daily use. In the future, I will use "rest" or "break".

2.. Z2C piously and passionately pontificated: That's BS. Almost everyone drafts for need other than the first round...and many times there too. Most teams skew their player rankings based on need. They just feed us the line "he was the top player on the board." Only teams that totally suck or are absolutely loaded take the top player on the board, sans need.

3. Now back to the topic of the thread...WPR wemarked: An excellent point. I want to see Gary in for Z Smith and Fackrell in for P Smith (though probably not at the same time) to give these guys a BREAK for a series or two.

Originally Posted by: KRK 

You are right, some teams draft for need. We call them the Browns and Lions.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
4 years ago
This is like watching a tennis match......your turn, KRK!🤗
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
4 years ago
Cheesey chortled:

your turn, KRK

Why? The man just conceded my point.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (11h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (17h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.