Zero2Cool
4 years ago

I would be pissed off if I was Rodgers. This team has continuously neglected getting him any help throughout his career. What a shame.

Originally Posted by: go.pack.go. 

UserPostedImage
stevegb
4 years ago

I would be pissed off if I was Rodgers. This team has continuously neglected getting him any help throughout his career. What a shame.

I disagree for majority of his starting career ted Thompson completely disregarded the defence to make Rodgers shine.
blank
stevegb
4 years ago
There’s also 6 more rounds to find more playmakers. Getting a project QB with all the tools and telling him to learn for the next 2/3 years is perfect IMO
blank
porky88
4 years ago

I feel like this was a talking point throughout Favre’s career as well. Rodgers has played with Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Jermichael Finley, Randall Cobb, Jared Cook, and Davante Adams. All very good players and none drafted in the first round. Cook was an unheralded free agent signing.

In recent years, yes, they have allocated resources to other positions. But Rodgers had a good run with a good group of players. I imagine they will invest their picks tomorrow in additional receiving talent.
go.pack.go.
4 years ago
The last offensive player we selected in the first round was Derrick Sherrod.

In fact, I would’ve been okay not taking a receiver right there. But my God, Patrick Queen was still on the board. That should’ve been a no brainier.
UserPostedImage
beast
4 years ago
Honestly, Gute warned us... just no one listened... he said if a QB drops that he likes he'll draft him. He didn't say that other years.
And in my opinion, there was only one potential franchise QB, that might drop and that was Love... heck I thought the Patriots were going to selection him.

And Gute did this last year with drafting Gary after signing two expensive vet OLBers.

Gute is looking two to four years into the future, looking at the value of positions, and the top ceiling potential of these guys. Like Gary, Love is not going to be ready as a rookie, and neither might not be fully ready a 2nd year players, but he's betting on the long term, they'll develop to be super stars (not saying he's right), but he bets on position value and ceiling potential and that said players will develop.

Personally, I think Gute has sometimes missed important things, such as ILB Burks lack of physical play, while he has elite movement skills for his skill, there are some cover CBs that looked more physical than him in college.

I honestly don't like the fact they didn't help this year team, which in my opinion, REALLY REALLY need a WR and CB (or two).

That being said, I really did like Love's potential with a good team that could develop him, and I think offensive system could be perfect for him.

Also when talking about Love, everyone mentions Love's bad 2019 season... but I believe I read this was his 3rd offensive coordinator, and this time, they completely and totally switched offensive styles, and his veteran OL group all graduated the year before. So in 2019, he was trying to do too much, to pick up the lack, after looking like a super star in 2018, in a system more like he's going to play in the NFL and when he actually had some decent talent around him.

So I really do like Love as a prospect... I don't necessary Love the timing of this, as this is a very deep WR group (and has some nice CBs too) which we need and didn't get any of them (at least not yet).
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

Bold move.

Aaron Rodgers is 36 and his play suggests he is declining. They are preparing for the future. Love has a ton talent. His arm, mobility, and size is amazing. If they believe he is a franchise QB, then you make the pick. The draft is about 3-4 years down the road, not the present.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

Typically I don't mind it when the team drafts for the future. We have no idea how much more Rodgers has in the tank. As of now 3 more years seems reasonable. He's unique. He may be able to play 5 or 6 more years. I hate the idea of giving away too many years of the "QB of the future's" rookie contract. I was hoping the Packers would wait until next year to draft Rodger's replacement. Jamie Newman seems to be a pretty similar style to Love. Height, weight, speed, arm strength and completion % are all similar. Newman had a few less ints but also threw less too. Then again he faced stronger competition.

I loved it when Ted drafted Aaron 3 years early. I don't feel the same this time. Aaron fell in their lap. They jumped up and gave away a 4th in the process to get Love. Aaron was considered by some to be the #1 pick. Love is considered by some to be 2nd round talent.

Time will tell.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
4 years ago

There’s also 6 more rounds to find more playmakers. Getting a project QB with all the tools and telling him to learn for the next 2/3 years is perfect IMO

Originally Posted by: stevegb 

Sorry I don't agree. They have 2 more rounds to find playmakers. The odds of getting a playmaker in the 5th-7th rounds is almost nil.
Also disagree in your 2/3 year year assessment. 4 years is going to be closer to reality.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
4 years ago

Packers draft bio: Jordan Love, quarterback, Utah State

Jim Owczarski, Packers News
Published 10:57 p.m. CT April 23, 2020 | Updated 11:16 p.m. CT April 23, 2020

image.png You have insufficient rights to see the content.
The Green Bay Packers picked Jordan Love of Utah State with their first round pick of the 2020 NFL Draft.
(Photo: Vasha Hunt-USA TODAY Sports)

With their first-round selection in the 2020 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers traded up to No. 26 overall to select Jordan Love, quarterback, Utah State. To do so, the Packers sent Miami their No. 30 pick and their fourth-round selection at No. 136.

PackersNews.com analysis
The Packers traded up from No. 30 overall to select Jordan Love, Aaron Rodgers' potential successor under center in Green Bay. Fifteen years after taking Rodgers with Brett Favre already cemented as the starter, the Packers did it again in 2020. Love is widely considered one of the more talented throwers in the draft, but struggled with accuracy and needs time to develop. Coming off an NFC championship appearance, the Packers clearly felt adding a franchise quarterback for the future was too important to pass up, and will have to address the 2020 team in later picks.

Measurables
Height: 6-4

Weight: 224

Hand size: 10½ inches

Key stat
61.9%
2019 completion percentage

Stats/Awards
Honorable Mention All-Mountain West (2019).
Holds three Utah State career records with 9,003 yards of total offense, 12 career 300-yard passing games and four completions of at least 80 yards.
Davey O’Brien Award Semifinalist (2018).
Holds eight single-season school records.

Role expectation
Brian Gutekunst kept three quarterbacks on the roster in 2018 and it is possible he does the same with Tim Boyle remaining as the primary backup as Love learns the pro game in a unique season where he will not have the usual on-field practice time to get up to speed.

He said
Jordan Love spoke to ESPN. Here are some highlights:

On being picked by the Packers:

"Oh, I'm just super excited. It's just all excitement right now. Hey, I mean, I didn't know what to expect coming into this. I'm super excited. I had some good talks with the coaching staff here in Green Bay, so I'm excited."

Jim Owczarski wrote:

On what he can learn from Aaron Rodgers:

"Oh, I'm already knowing I can learn a lot from Aaron Rodgers. That's one of the GOATs right there in the game, and I'm excited to come back behind him and learn as much as I can."

Nuggets
PFF gave him above-average grades for passing (76.5), intermediate throws (88.4), deep throws (87.1) and when facing no pressure (86.1) while having a below-average pressure grade of 48.4.
Graduated from Utah State in the fall of 2019 with a degree in human movement science.

Draftniks say
NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah: “I don't know that he's ready to play right away, but that's a huge upside pick. And you give him a chance to develop that could have a huge payoff.”

Pro Football Focus: "Love’s decision-making was questionable all throughout the year, and he ended up ranking 101st in turnover-worthy play rate. He could hit an open receiver 20-plus yards downfield with ease, and that’s precisely the concerning part of his overall play. Most of Love’s best throws came in favorable situations, but when throwing into tight windows, he led the FBS in interceptions. His pocket presence was great at Utah State, but he failed to show he can truly create something out of nothing with his accuracy."

NFL.com draft analyst Lance Zierlein: "Challenging evaluation for quarterback-needy teams balancing traits and potential against disappointing 2019 tape. Staff turnover and new starters across the offense are partly to blame for his regression, but self-made flaws in process were also concerns. Love's accuracy took a step back, and his delayed reaction from "see it" to "throw it" when making reads is troubling. He has the arm to stick throws into tight windows but needs better eye discipline and anticipation to keep windows open. His size, mobility and arm talent combined with his 2018 flashes could be a winning hand that leads a team into the future or a siren's song of erratic play and unfulfilled potential."

Highlight video

UserPostedImage
nerdmann
4 years ago

I think a large part of this is Aaron's unwillingness to step into his throws, snap the ball with time on the play clock, get the ball out, etc.

The franchise has just notified Aaron thst they are no longer focused primarily on getting HIM a ring. This was sbout what is good for the franchise.

This isn't a "Win now for Aaron" situation anymore. It's a "what's good for the franchise" situation.

This dude is Brett Favre, before he came in to replace Majkowski. He needs work, but he's got a high ceiling.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”