MintBaconDrivel
3 years ago

We're only a week away from the Green Bay Packers putting together their 2021 draft class. To celebrate draft week, I thought it would be fun to take a look back at a previous draft class with the benefit of hindsight. How could the Packers' 2018 draft have gone differently? In this redraft, we assume

Round 1 (14): Jaire Alexander, CB, Louisville
Original pick: Traded away

Even hitting the clock four picks earlier than they did in the real draft, the result is the same. Jaire Alexander is the choice and it’s an easy call.

Alexander has become one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL in recent years, and he was a Pro Bowler and All-Pro in 2020.

Round 2 (45): Fred Warner, LB, BYU
Original pick: Josh Jackson, CB, Iowa

In the 2018 draft, the Packers doubled down at cornerback by selecting Josh Jackson in the second round. In the redraft, they use a rare early-round pick at the inside linebacker position.

And for good reason. Fred Warner was a first-team All-Pro and Pro Bowler in 2020. He hasn’t missed a game in his first three seasons, making 367 tackles, five forced fumbles, four sacks, 21 pass defenses, and three interceptions in that time.

Round 3 (76): Orlando Brown, T, Oklahoma

The Packers already had a dominant tackle pairing in David Bakhtiari and Bryan Bulaga, but it’s hard to not pick a player as talented as Orlando Brown here. Given Bulaga’s injury history and without much time remaining on his contract, this would’ve made sense. Bulaga left following the 2019 season. Brown is now one of the best tackles in football and is a two-time Pro Bowler.

Round 4 (101): Da’Shawn Hand, DE, Alabama

In the fourth round, the Packers strengthen the defensive line by selecting Alabama’s Da’Shawn Hand, who was selected by the division-rival Detroit Lions 114th overall in the real draft.

Hand has battled injuries but has been great when healthy. He was part of the PFWA All-Rookie Team in 2018 and would help Green Bay’s defense up front.

Round 4 (133): Dalton Schultz, TE, Stanford
Original pick: J’Mon Moore, WR, Missouri

The Packers add some depth at tight end late in the fourth round with Stanford’s Dalton Schultz. Schultz had his best season in 2020 with 63 catches for 615 yards and four touchdowns.

Round 4 (138): Tre Flowers, S, Oklahoma State
Original pick: Cole Madison, G, Washington State

While listed as a safety, Tre Flowers has played cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks. As the Packers don’t select Josh Jackson in this redraft, they add another cornerback in the fourth. Flowers has 16 pass defenses and three interceptions in three seasons. Whether at cornerback or safety, he could help the Packers’ defense.

Round 5 (172): DeShon Elliott, S, Texas
Original pick: JK Scott, P, Alabama

More help for the secondary in the fifth round as the Packers add safety DeShon Elliott. Given how big of a need safety became the following offseason, we can use the benefit of hindsight to strengthen the position in 2018. Elliott battled injuries his first two years in the league but started all 16 games for the Baltimore Ravens in 2020.

Round 5 (174): Marquez Valdes-Scantling, WR, South Florida
Original pick: Valdes-Scantling

Easy call here. The Packers stick with their original pick of Marquez Valdes-Scantling, who has improved each year and become a great target for Aaron Rodgers, especially deep down the field.

Continue Reading @ LombardiAve 

LombardiAve wrote:

A worthwhile discussion.
Delivering the latest and most important updates on the Green Bay Packers for your convenience.
UserPostedImage
beast
3 years ago
If possible, I'd still take the trade down in the first, and then trade back up to grab Alexander. If my memory is correct of the cost and benefits, trying to add them all up, basically it cost us a 3rd abd got us a 1st (FS Savage).

But yeah Fred Warner and Brown in the next two rounds for sure.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
3 years ago

If possible, I'd still take the trade down in the first, and then trade back up to grab Alexander. If my memory is correct of the cost and benefits, trying to add them all up, basically it cost us a 3rd abd got us a 1st (FS Savage).

But yeah Fred Warner and Brown in the next two rounds for sure.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I completely mindfooked myself on this. If staying at 14, take Derwin James, this removes Savage the next year and opens up taking someone like Marquise Brown or Josh Jacobs instead. Then what does that mean for AJ Dillon if Jacobs was taken? The dominos, oh the dominos!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (4h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (5h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.