dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
2 years ago
I just read an article that was about 3 picks the Packers might go after even though it is just December. But this got me thinking with Rodgers wanting to be gone why not trade him to NY the Jets would be ironic but even the Giants would work. Say you want 2 1st's this year and a 1st next year they might bite. Now the reason behind this is because if the draft was to be held tomorrow the Jets would hold #4 and #5 and the Giants hold #6 and #7. We also would have our late round 1st to use also. Maybe grab a stub wr and a stud de/lb could make the transition a little easier. Or just go for both defensive picks to build a very strong d. Remember defense wins championships and qbs like Trent Dilfer and Jeff Hosteller and Brad Johnson won rings. Just some thoughts with the bye week
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
First off, there is a possibility we could resign Rodgers. And if not, then reportedly the Packers would only consider AFC teams and since his new team would want a long term contract and a happy QB, Rodgers would basically have veto power and reports all seem to suggest if Rodgers leaves the Packers he wants to go West, closer to his home and his wife works in Hollywood.

So that basically narrows it down to Broncos, Charges, Chiefs and Raiders. Chargers and Chiefs already seem to have franchise QBs and Raiders have a pretty decent one too.

So basically it's all about how much can you get the Broncos to pay the Packers. The Broncos currently do have a former Bear as a head coach and a former Vikings for GM, so they know of Rodgers very well, but considering based on context clues unless the Dolphins or Panthers owners want to throw the farm for a franchise QB (which some reports suggest they considered for DeShaun Watson) it's basically Broncos or no one. Which also has me thinking part of the OLB Von Miller trade was for them to get more draft picks for trade ammo.

Also if we trade Rodgers, do we then franchise tag Adams and trade him too? Or trade Cobb's contract with Rodgers?

Preferably we would just extend them instead of trade them...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I dunno. I remember games before Brett Favre so I'm gonna just focus my energy in enjoying 2021 and when it's over, then I'll think about 2022.

Enjoy the now.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago
Now as far as the actual draft... looking at the top 4 rounds of the last three years, Packers have had 11 selections, 8 (72.7%) where offensive players. Of course most of the first round picks were defensive players.

But so far, Gute are always selected one of the most valuable positions (QB, OT, CB and Edge Rusher) with his first selection and usually TE and S are considered the next two, which Savage his only first rounder that doesn't fit that mold falls in, and he was drafted after Gary.

This draft seems to be loaded with edge rushers and OT, where I think a good one will fall to to the 2nd round for sure. And with the injuries at OL and OLB and the contracts of Smith, Smith, Turner and Jenkins I strongly expect them to look at Edge Rusher or OT in the first round of the draft.

Though it needs to be noted the Packers have a ton of WRs and CBs that are FAs. And in PFF mock drafts, an elite WR does seem to be falling to the Packers which can't be totally out of the question if they fall. Also there seems to be two stud ILBers, that fall in some mock drafts.

But usually when I'm doing mock drafts lately, I'm grabbing an Edge Rusher in round 1 and in round two trying to grab (and sometimes trading up for it) one of Georgia's DTs.

Generally speaking the top of this year seems to be great for defensive fronts, also just thinking if we can team Gary and Clark with some young studs that might be a hell of a defensive front for years to come!

Also, it's not totally clear what's gonna happen with Smith and Smith right now (Packers are $40 million over next year's cap, one of those contracts might be going bye bye), and Lowry has his ups but also his downs.

Of course, the defense has been doing better than the offense, even with Rodgers, another OL/Wr might be extremely helpful, especially if they don't have Rodgers.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I dunno. I remember games before Brett Favre so I'm gonna just focus my energy in enjoying 2021 and when it's over, then I'll think about 2022.

Enjoy the now.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Who's Brett Far-ve? 😜
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago
More concerned with 2021 than the draft but I wouldn't mind a stud OT or Edge in the 1st. I can't imagine the Packers trading AR. We shall see. For years and years the so called experts have been saying GB is going to take a WR in the First. They have tried but none of the ones that meet their criteria fell to them. Perhaps this is the year. Who knows. A couple of weeks ago I glanced at the WR that might go in the first. Most of them seemed smaller than the Packers like. If the bigger blocking types are all that's left they might wait until the second or third.
UserPostedImage
beast
2 years ago

I wouldn't mind a stud OT or Edge in the 1st.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

Well you might be in luck, as those seem to be the strength of this draft early on.

PFF isn't perfect, but best we got, they got 7 edge rushers, 4 OTs and 2 IOL in their top 32 graded currently which is 40%... and there are a few they got outside their 32 that I'm interested in.

PFF also has 5 WRs, 5 CB, 3 S, 3QBs, 2 ILB and 1 DT in their top 32.

So simply draft talent numbers and important positions and need, Edge, OL, CB and WR looks like over 70% chance.

I can't imagine the Packers trading AR. We shall see.

I can't imagine them wanting to, but the Packers are currently more than 35 million over the 2022 cap...

Packers can certainly release or give extension to a number of guys moving cap around... but they almost have to adjust Rodgers contract with an extension, trade or let him become an unrestricted FA in 2023.

For years and years the so called expertise have been saying GB is going to take a WR in the First. They have tried but none of the ones that meet their criteria fell to them. Perhaps this is the year. Who knows. A couple of weeks ago I glanced at the WR that might go in the first. Most of them seemed smaller than the Packers like. If the bigger blocking types are all that's left they might wait until the second or third.

The top 5 WRs aren't short... though some are light. And right now Cobb is our #2 WR despite not playing much early on... which maybe will open Gute's eyes to size a little bit.

But Drake London is like 6'5", 210 lb and Treylon Burks is 6'3" 225 lb. I haven't watched film, so I don't know if this would fit his playing style or not, but I wondered if Burks might be able to be used as a WR/TE tweener in a large slot role like a mix between WR Cooper Kupp and TE George Kittle.

Also keep an eye out for TE Trey McBride from Colorado State, already playing in the wide zone system and he seems to fit it absolutely perfect and as a TE got 90 catches for over 1,100 yards while being 6'4" 260 and blocking better than most college TEs. If he did that at a big school, he'd be a 1st rounder... how much does it being a smaller school hurt him? As most draft sites see him as a 4th rounder for some reason, but I'll be surprised if he gets out of the 2nd, someone is going take the chance.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

The top 5 WRs aren't short... though some are light. And right now Cobb is our #2 WR despite not playing much early on... which maybe will open Gute's eyes to size a little bit.

But Drake London is like 6'5", 210 lb and Treylon Burks is 6'3" 225 lb. I haven't watched film, so I don't know if this would fit his playing style or not, but I wondered if Burks might be able to be used as a WR/TE tweener in a large slot role like a mix between WR Cooper Kupp and TE George Kittle.

Originally Posted by: beast 

I was looking at the Walterfootball page.
1. 6-5 225 Treylon Burks. will be gone so I didn't count him.
2. 5-11 186 Garrett Wilson. Doesn't seem to fit the typical Packer mode.
3. 6-2 189 Jameson Williams. One of the taller dudes but skinny. Probably doesn't fit but who knows. Certainly not me.
4. 6-0 182 Chris Olave Again doesn't seem to be a blocking WR but maybe he and the others are.
5. 5-10 175 Jahan Dotson. Another that seems to be small. Perhaps he can be our kick returner. At 4.45 hes one of the faster top WRs.
6. 6-5 210 Drake London. I was looking at him but with a projection of 2-3 round I wondered if it would be possible to wait until the 2nd to get him.
7. 6-2 205 David Bell Again he has the size for a WR but projected 2-4 round.
8. 6-1 194 Jalen Tolbert 2-4 round
9. 5-10 180 Zay Flowers small 2-4 round
10. 5-11 185 Wan'Dale Robinson a little small 2-4 round also.

First Walter is not the end all be all source of information. I only did a quick glance at the players. There are certainly some players who might be a little small but can still block.
Just to compare the Packer WRs are:
Adams 6-1 215
MVS 6-4 206
Lazard 6-5 227
Cobb 5-10 195
Rodgers 5-9 215
EQ 6-5 214
Taylor 6-1 220
Only 2 are under 6-1 and only 1 is under 206. Given time several of the college players will bulk up and get over 200. 4 of the 10 are under 6-0. 7 of them are under 200. In theory half of them are second round or later prospects.
Again I concede that I and Walter can be wrong in our assessment. Based on what I see here I think GB may wait a round or two before selecting a WR. No one this looks at their hands, routing running abilities, not even their blocking talent or speed but none of them are projected to be below 4.45.
UserPostedImage
TheKanataThrilla
2 years ago
My early draft crush is Devin Lloyd LB from Utah. I watched a few Utah games this year and the guy is all over the field. Supposedly a real film watcher as well so the desire to be the best is also there.

I wonder if we trade Aaron whether we would look at drafting a QB. I am a fan of Sam Howell. The guy is short, but can run and throw. Reminds me a bit of Baker Mayfield for both good and ill. Can make bad decisions at time, but his team this year is much worse than in the past, much like Jordan Love in his final year of College.

When it comes to WRs I have read lots of good things about Olave. Don't watch Ohio State, but he is supposedly a great route runner. He is all over the place in the Mocks. I have seen him drafted by us in a few of them.

He may be gone, but I like Trevor Penning as a OT pick. May be gone may not because he plays for a small school. Dude is huge 6'7" 340lbs.
beast
2 years ago

1. 6-5 225 Treylon Burks. will be gone so I didn't count him.

10. 5-11 185 Wan'Dale Robinson a little small 2-4 round also.

Just to compare the Packer WRs are:
Adams 6-1 215
MVS 6-4 206
Lazard 6-5 227
Cobb 5-10 195
Rodgers 5-9 215
EQ 6-5 214
Taylor 6-1 220
Only 2 are under 6-1 and only 1 is under 206.

Yes something I've certainly been interested in, has Gute desired type of WR changed or not? Because so far his track record at WR hasn't been great. But until they drafted WR Rodgers all where over 6'2" and 205 lbs. Also I'm not saying Rodgers won't develop a lot more, but they wanted him in the 2nd round scared me a bit because I was thinking 4th round and thought there was a better WR available (though Imy not the expert).

That's the first I remember seeing WR Burks in the top 2, I think he'll be gone before the Packers pick, but I think he could potentially fall past the 1st round like AJ Brown (another 225 lb WR did in 2019).

I wonder what the Gute/Packers think of WR Wan'Dale Robinson, because I honestly think Randall Cobb is a great comparison... which Packers took in the 2nd round, but Gute didn't seem overly interested in.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.