bboystyle
2 years ago

With the additions this offseason (and not just the draft) our D this year might be the best we've had since 2010. Added speed along with a new ST coordinator should improve that unit as well. Most SB winning teams are good on all 3 phases of the football.

Originally Posted by: Pugger 

Lets hope so because Packers havent fielded a consistent back to back good defense since 1996. Seems like every new defensive coordinator comes in and makes the defense better but then falls off the cliff the next several years until a new one comes in. Rinse and repeat.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

Jaire is the only one i left out. The others did ok to good to start off but didnt make an immediate impact at a high level. I should of rephrase it as a blue collar player in a weak position of need (ie LB, WR, CB, pass rusher). Packers o line flaws have been covered up by the high play of Rodgers most of his career.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Almost no rookie comes in and makes a high level impact. For any team. Ever. The ones that do are few and far between. That's why Justin Jefferson stands out. He's rare and the Packers wanted him.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
I think we might need a definition of immediate impact because Clay Matthews didn't do squat until I think Week 4 or Week 5 his rookie year. 🤷‍♂️
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
2 years ago

I think we might need a definition of immediate impact because Clay Matthews didn't do squat until I think Week 4 or Week 5 his rookie year. 🤷‍♂️

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

It's a sliding scale for whoever is trying to show the rest of the board how smart they are.
UserPostedImage
PackersNation
2 years ago

You go to the Pro Bowl in your rookie year like Clay did, and no one can ever claim you didn't have immediate impact. Don't make me pull out tape of the 2009 season.

He was a beast from the jump.
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

You go to the Pro Bowl in your rookie year like Clay did, and no one can ever claim you didn't have immediate impact. Don't make me pull out tape of the 2009 season.

He was a beast from the jump.

Originally Posted by: PackerNation 

Yikes, you're going to use PRO BOWL as ... wow. You the funneh.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
2 years ago

Jaire is the only one i left out. The others did ok to good to start off but didnt make an immediate impact at a high level. I should of rephrase it as a blue collar player in a weak position of need (ie LB, WR, CB, pass rusher). Packers o line flaws have been covered up by the high play of Rodgers most of his career.

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

Bryan Bulaga didn't miss a beat when Mark Tauscher went down with an injury in week 4. Bulaga started the rest of the year on a team that won the Super Bowl. Hard to say he wasn't impactful. Taucher was getting up in age (as was Chad Clifton) and T was a clear need going into the draft. Bulaga was taken in the 1st round, 4th tackle off the board (2nd RT). Made the all-rookie team and was the youngest player to ever start in a Super Bowl.

Casey Hayward didn't need to start because the Packers had Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams, but he was nonetheless exceptional in his rookie year (PFF grade of 92.2). 6 INTs, 1 FF, got a few votes for defensive rookie of the year.

Eddie Lacy rushed for nearly 1200 yards and had 11 TDs his rookie year. He immediately established himself as one of the top RBs in the league, going to the Pro Bowl and getting 2nd-team All-Pro honors. The year prior the Packers trotted out broken-down versions of Cedric Benson, Ryan Grant, and James Starks. RB was a major need, Lacy was a blue-chip guy from Alabama drafted in the 2nd round - his rookie year fits your criteria to a tee.

David Bahktari replaced the garbage fire that was Marshall Newhouse at the 2nd most important position on offense. Another huge need, Bahktari brought stability to the OL that the packers hadn't had in 3 years.

Corey Linsley was so good that they traded the (also very good) center they drafted the prior year (J.C. Tretter).

Jaire - yeah, nothing needed to say there.

The Packers started Byron Bell at guard in 2018 and he was awful - G was a need. All Elgton Jinkins did in his rookie year was start 14 games and establish himself as one of the best young offensive linemen in the league.

In 2020 the Packers started Kevin King, corner was obviously a need. In 2021 Jaire missed the majority of the season. Eric Stokes got thrown at a LOT and managed an absurd completion rate of 51%. Position of need, blue-chip guy, had a great year. Check, check, check.
blank
warhawk
2 years ago
I have to laugh at guys like this that are absurdly lazy when it comes down to the big picture. A good GM prepares for the future when it comes to the draft. Teams that have to rely on rookies to win the SB...don't win the SB. Yes, you hope some are good enough to start right away, however, the initial goal is adding to the depth of the team and some eventually become quality starters.
I recall an article years ago that stated the Bears had better starters than the Packers. My first thought was bull. Then I looked at this deeper and had to agree that the Bears starting 22 was, in fact, better than the Packers. I started to sweat profusely until I dug a little deeper. Low and behold the first thing I dug into was the fact that the entire backup players at OT were undrafted Fa's. What!!. Sure enough the Bears won like 5 of their first 6 games and fell off the cliff when their OL started seeing guys get hurt.
Gutey get's it. It's not about the first 53 you have available week 1. It's about the 15 or so guys that can play when guys start going down. Of course Orlavsly doesn't care enough to bother digging this deep.
By the way I don't think Mlf is worried about game planning without Adams. I think he was like 10-1 when Adams wasn't available. Just know Orlavsky is not worried about losing his job getting this totally wrong. Whether or not he will be willing to eat humble pie is another story.

"The train is leaving the station."
PackersNation
2 years ago

Yikes, you're going to use PRO BOWL as ... wow. You the funneh.

The Pro Bowl game itself is a joke, but being selected to the Pro Bowl is not a joke. If you get selected in your rookie year, it certainly shows you had immediate impact on your team.

Silly to argue that Clay Matthews wasn't a beast from the jump. .

So many better things to argue about, like the fact that Samori Toure has a better shot at making the final 53 than Jonathan Ford does. I hope they both look like hall of famers in camp, but I am fairly confident that Jonathan Ford will not. If he makes the 53, it will be because Rich Bisaccia feels he can get his big mitts up and block some kicks.
Zero2Cool
2 years ago

The Pro Bowl game itself is a joke, but being selected to the Pro Bowl is not a joke. If you get selected in your rookie year, it certainly shows you had immediate impact on your team.

Silly to argue that Clay Matthews wasn't a beast from the jump. .

So many better things to argue about, like the fact that Samori Toure has a better shot at making the final 53 than Jonathan Ford does. I hope they both look like hall of famers in camp, but I am fairly confident that Jonathan Ford will not. If he makes the 53, it will be because Rich Bisaccia feels he can get his big mitts up and block some kicks.

Originally Posted by: PackerNation 

It's not silly, it's a fact. And that is OK! He made an impact after a handful of games. Nothing to shy away from. But he did not beast from the jump, because that would mean Week 1. He didn't even earn a starting spot until like Week 5.

JONATHAN FORD FOR ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!!!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.