13 years ago
[youtube]_wOUMd3bMRI[/youtube]
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

[youtube]_wOUMd3bMRI[/youtube]

"dfosterf" wrote:

This movie was one of the reasons I went to law school.

And I *still* consider the first year of law school the toughest and most intellectually stimulating year of my life. Beat the crap out of the piling-higher-and-deeper experience.

I pretty much lived on ramen noodles, mac and cheese, and once-a-week all you could eat spaghettti for 2.99.

Of course most future lawyers hate that year. (Whcih I should have probably taken as a sign it was a bad career choice a bit sooner than I did.)

But I loved it.

I had a property law professor (Kingsfield, but without the asshole part) who I swear had the entire semester scripted out for anything that might come up in discussion. He played our 150-person class like a fiddle. We spent the first two weeks on one two-page case....and I think I probably read 3000 pages of outside reading. And that was one class out of 4.5.

I still track my admiration for Oliver Wendell Holmes to the Con Law class when, after I answered something with regard to one of his opinions, the prof paused and said, "Mr. Shilts. You know, I don't think I've ever heard anything so stupid in my career." I could *feel* all the students around me trying to establish extra distance between us. Hated that guy, but to this day when I'm arguing con law with some pinhead (i.e., current colleagues), I remember him talking about how this or that opinion was based on no identifiably consistent principles. And I think, boy, why couldn't I have figured that out back when he was teaching me. Because he's right over and over again.

Law school is a helluva expensive way to learn how to think. And law students can be about as obnoxious and arrogant as any group not holding the PhD. But damn I wish I could figure out how to bottle that kind of intellectual rigor so that it wasn't just the province of those wanting to become lawyers, politicians, and career bureaucrats. Who, if truth be told, most of it is wasted upon.

+1 to Foster for getting me all nostalgic.

You asshole.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
13 years ago
Oh, yes, and Kingsfield would not get tenured or promoted at a school like mine today. His approach to teaching is wholly against the prevailing ethos of "student centered" education that pervades schools who see their primary purpose as teaching undergraduates.

He could, of course, still get a job at a major research university. But at a "teaching institution", it's highly doubtful he'd last.

Because while 10-15 percent of his students would rave up and down about him, a full 25% to 50% would give him evaluations from bad to awful. And at our kind of school, good teaching evaluations are an essential requirement for promotion.

No matter that as survey documents, the best of those evaluation instruments would rate at best a C in quality of the survey design.

What I'm likely going to do about the various last minute excuses/nonexcuses:....give the students one opportunity to retake, but with a substantial automatic deduction (probably something like 25% of the points, but I'm waiting until I'm over my initial anger to decide). Given the test, and said students performance to date, my guess is that the best they are likely to get even with the extra time is a D.

Yeah, I know, wussy.

But, frankly, I'm in a position where I'm being very strategic about picking my battles nowadays. I waste my energy and superior epistemology on nabobs too much as it is.

My job, as I now see it, is to provide opportunities for learning. If a student chooses to ignore them, to waste them, well, in the end, it's their responsibility to drink the water that prepares them for life in a flat world.

Not mine.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
13 years ago
One other thing, on valid excuses and such.

I understand the tradeoffs working students face. My experience has been that students that work (as long as they aren't merely "work study" students who show up to work with the same irregularity that they show up to class) are rarely prone to give excuses. Most in fact expect no special consideration at all.

But at the same time, I tell my students at the beginning of every term, attending class is a choice that, like any choice, comes with consequences. If you believe something else is more important than my class, then you ought to skip. It's basic economic thinking.

But what you should not do is expect me to bear the consequences of your choice. I teach my classes not because students "pay" my salary. That's a myth (and, especially relevant to the classes I teach, bad economic thinking). I am not a tutor. I am an employee of one college, not an employee of seventy or more separate employers every term.) I teach because I believe it is necessary to provide quality opportunities to learn. If your job or your family is truly more important to you than my class's opportunities, then you should be willing to bear the consequences of missing those opportunities.

You. Not me.

It's my job to provide you opportunities in accordance with the terms of the syllabus and the course catalog. It's yours to decide which costs are worth incurring to realize the benefits of those opportunities. And then to bear them.

Not to expect to be able to shift their burden to someone else like me.

Very few teachers of my experience have a "no excuses" rule. Especially at schools like mine. Most of us tend to give too many alternative options rather than too few. I know I am way too soft a touch.

But whether we give alternatives or we don't, those alternatives are not a matter of right. If you want to get those kind of rights from me, you had better be willing to pay *me* serious tutor bucks. My time is double- and triple budgeted as it is.

Sorry....I guess I've gone off ranting and am starting to repeat myself. Enough of me on this one for awhile.

/end rant
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (4h) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (4h) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (6h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (6h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (6h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (7h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (7h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (18h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (19h) : damn those vikings
beast (20h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (20h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (20h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (20h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (20h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.