Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
This morning I gave an exam to an class with 20 students. This is an upper division class that is primarily populated by econ majors.

Said exam was announced on the syllabus. In August.

2 students asked for, and received, permission to take the exam another time because of a conflict. (They asked two weeks ago.)

2 students emailed me last night asking for more time. One stated that "there's too much to read."

2 other students just didn't show up.

Oh, yes, and this exam constitutes nearly a fifth of the course grade.

WTF?

Heck, even Brad Childress only had one Brett Favre to deal with.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Flunk 'em. This is college, not high school.

I had one Professor who said "the only excuses I listen to are death, and of that, only if it's yours." That's how he started the semester. Didn't put up with shit and by the middle of the semester, didn't have to deal with any shit because they realised he was serious.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
13 years ago

2 students asked for, and received, permission to take the exam another time because of a conflict. (They asked two weeks ago.)

Yes. (Asuming you told them they could at that point.)

2 students emailed me last night asking for more time. One stated that "there's too much to read."

No.

2 other students just didn't show up.

No.

There are rules and guidelines schoolwide for this stuff, aren't there? Non of the above would fly at my college. Dates for exams are set at the start of the periods. If you can't make it, that's too bad for you, you have to retake it 2 periods later.
djcubez
13 years ago

I had one Professor who said "the only excuses I listen to are death, and of that, only if it's yours." That's how he started the semester. Didn't put up with shit and by the middle of the semester, didn't have to deal with any shit because they realised he was serious.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Screw that teacher. I would never take a class like that. Instant drop. This teacher wouldn't allow you to miss class because it was your mother's funeral? That is some fucked up shit zombie.

The problem with college is you have people from all different tracks of life. Some people have kids and families. Others are working full-time and trying to balance a few classes here and there. Then you have the privileged kids who just have their parents pay their way through college. For the latter group of people I can definitely understand a "no excuse" rule. But for people with children and jobs? Sometimes you just can't make it and I think the fact that your child or job got in the way is a damn good excuse. The only issue I see is that as a student you should make it known to your teacher ahead of time that you live under certain circumstances and a situation could arise in the future where you will miss an important class.

I've missed getting paid for the last month because my boss' wife has cancer. He's canceled all our past meetings and I have to catch up on my bills because of this. In class today my boss could have called and said he had time between chemo sessions to come meet me and pay me. Now normally I wouldn't like leaving class but I consider the fact that I'm getting paid an important enough reason to leave. And yes I would have informed the teacher. But he didn't call me and now I have to drive through rush hour traffic to get my damn paycheck.
Porforis
13 years ago

"djcubez" wrote:

Screw that teacher. I would never take a class like that. Instant drop. This teacher wouldn't allow you to miss class because it was your mother's funeral? That is some fucked up shit zombie.

The problem with college is you have people from all different tracks of life. Some people have kids and families. Others are working full-time and trying to balance a few classes here and there. Then you have the privileged kids who just have their parents pay their way through college. For the latter group of people I can definitely understand a "no excuse" rule. But for people with children and jobs? Sometimes you just can't make it and I think the fact that your child or job got in the way is a damn good excuse. The only issue I see is that as a student you should make it known to your teacher ahead of time that you live under certain circumstances and a situation could arise in the future where you will miss an important class.

I've missed getting paid for the last month because my boss' wife has cancer. He's canceled all our past meetings and I have to catch up on my bills because of this. In class today my boss could have called and said he had time between chemo sessions to come meet me and pay me. Now normally I wouldn't like leaving class but I consider the fact that I'm getting paid an important enough reason to leave. And yes I would have informed the teacher. But he didn't call me and now I have to drive through rush hour traffic to get my damn paycheck.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

The thing that turns me off about the "no bullshit" attitude is that the students are paying to take the class, and paying the teachers' salaries. Not being able to miss a class because your mother died? A little harsh. Asking for extra time at the last minute? Definitely all for the "You knew what to expect going into this, if you didn't you weren't paying attention".

The customer isn't always right, but remember who pays your paycheck. I had my fair share of shitty teachers that were much worse than the students Wade has to deal with... Habitually 40-50 minutes late, didn't follow the syllabus and basically taught us nothing for a 3 credit course. Just ghost a bunch of windows xp machines over and over in class, read a book, no assignments on the readings, then a final exam on the book. Talked to the head of the department, the teacher started coming in 30 minutes late, and the department head/dean just threw their hands up.
4PackGirl
13 years ago
what professor has a test scheduled before a holiday? man that guy must be an idiot!! 😉

you know i love ya wade. 😃
zombieslayer
13 years ago

"djcubez" wrote:

DJ - Another beauty of college is you can drop any class.

FYI, I did drop his class. I was just showing another extreme. You don't want to be a jerk. But you don't want to be too "understanding" either. For the record, understanding teachers end up putting in a heck of a lot more hours of their own time than teachers who don't put up with anything. I'm sure Wade would agree with that last statement.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago

"Porforis" wrote:

"djcubez" wrote:

The thing that turns me off about the "no bullshit" attitude is that the students are paying to take the class, and paying the teachers' salaries. Not being able to miss a class because your mother died? A little harsh. Asking for extra time at the last minute? Definitely all for the "You knew what to expect going into this, if you didn't you weren't paying attention".

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Interesting points but I agree with the "you know what to expect" part. If the exam is clearly on a syllabus a student should respectively tell the teacher a few days before hand that they'll probably miss it. Unless there are dire extenuating circumstances (car crash, child is sick, mom died) there is no excuse for missing it.

The part about paying for the class is why I think missing class for your job is a damn good reason. The only reason you're in the class to begin with is because you worked your ass off for the money needed to pay your way into that class.

Wade, the students that said "too much too read." Screw 'em. The one's that didn't show up? You don't have to give them the benefit of the doubt but at least figure out why they didn't show up. Maybe offer them a chance to get half-credit by taking it late.

I missed a midterm for a lecture once, completely by mistake. I know it's hard to believe but I didn't have a good excuse, I just completely forgot and blew it off. I didn't think for one second that I'd be given another opportunity but I decided to ask the teacher anyway. What could I lose? He told me to write an essay on a specific part of class material. Depending on how good the paper was he said he'd consider giving me credit. Turns out he loved my paper and I got a B on the exam. Granted this was a class called "American Popular Music" and my essay was about how psychedelic drugs influenced rock and roll 😉
zombieslayer
13 years ago
OMG DJ. I'd so love to read that paper. Do you still have it?

[youtube]J10w3FuCwfQ[/youtube]
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago

OMG DJ. I'd so love to read that paper. Do you still have it?

[youtube]J10w3FuCwfQ[/youtube]

"zombieslayer" wrote:

My one year in college, my Mom was on her deathbed. She died in October, and i fell behind in all my classes.
I worked my ass off to catch up. All my professors said they would give me incompletes, so i could redo the classes.
I turned them down. Still ended up with over a 3.0 average.
My one teacher asked me to come back and the end of the school day......he sat down, and told me he NEVER saw anyone do what i did. He was amazed that i was able to complete all my courses.
I got a B in his class.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (14h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (14h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (18h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.