wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
a year ago

Brkic was one of the higher-rated rookie kickers in the 2022 draft class. The churn is already starting on special teams for the Green Bay Packers . Last month, the team signed long snapper Jack Coco  following a rookie tryout and released kicker J.J. Molson , who had spent the entirety of the 2021 season on the Packers’ practice squad. On Monday, the Packers added to the movement by picking up former Oklahoma kicker Gabe Brkic off of the waiver wire  via the Minnesota Vikings . The corresponding roster move Green Bay made to keep the roster at 90 players was to waive kicker Dominik Eberle, who had previous experience with special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia when they were with the Raiders together.
When Acme Packing Company took a look at the 2022 NFL draft class’ kickers from a quantitative perspective  in February, Brkic seemed like the second-best bet in the class behind LSU ’s Cade York. For reference, York was selected in the fourth round by the Cleveland Browns  in April and was the only kicker drafted in the class.
The approach we took to grading the kickers was weighting their field goal attempts by distance and comparing their points versus expectation relative to the average of drafted placekickers since 2018. Using that approach, Brkic would have been the fourth-best kicking prospect in the last five years, behind Matt Gay, Evan McPherson and York. While York has yet to play an NFL game, Gay was a Pro Bowler in 2021 and McPherson was named to the All-Rookie Team by the Pro Football Writers of America last year.

OK K Gabe Brkic takes full advantage of his flexibility and long legs. Consistent approach and stays on top of the ball instead of falling away. Great trajectory on shorter FG but here he pounds a 56 yder into the stands. #SnapScout22  pic.twitter.com/IVLGZMhrQv — Chad Reuter (@chad_reuter) January 25, 2022 

While at Oklahoma, Brkic played in 38 games, with 37 coming in his final three seasons, in which he made 57-of-69 field goal attempts and 159-of-160 PATs. In each of his three years of placekicking for the Sooners, he made a field goal of at least 50 yards. He kicked 264 kickoffs for an average of 61.6 yards and recorded 130 touchbacks to just three kickoffs out of bounds in his college career.
The then redshirt junior elected to skip his senior season and enter the draft after 2021. Along with York and Texas’ Cameron Dicker, Brkic was one of three placekickers to be invited to the 2022 NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis this winter.
Based on his pedigree, Brkic is probably the biggest offseason threat that longtime kicker Mason Crosby has faced in 2022. While Eberle and Molson had ties to Bisaccia and the organization, neither had the bonafide production that Brkic brings to the table.

Continue Reading @ justis.mosqueda 

justis.mosqueda wrote:

Not much of a surprise. Ebrele wasn't going to take Crosby's place. It makes me laugh that APC feels that they can rate ST players.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago
With a name like Brkic, sounds like a perfect fit for the "Frozen Tundra" of Green Bay.

Get it? "Burrrr (as in cold) and KICK!". 😉😁
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
a year ago

With a name like Brkic, sounds like a perfect fit for the "Frozen Tundra" of Green Bay.

Get it? "Burrrr (as in cold) and KICK!". 😉😁

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

It reminds me of a guy trying to kick a brick. This won't end well. 😉😁
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

It reminds me of a guy trying to kick a brick. This won't end well. 😉😁

Originally Posted by: wpr 

My dad was in my room looking for something and I was at my mom's for the summer. He was frustrated so he kicked the ball in my room with the hopes of bouncing it off the walls a few times. My room was in the basement. Funny thing, I didn't have a ball, I had a bowling ball though. 😂🤣
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
a year ago

My dad was in my room looking for something and I was at my mom's for the summer. He was frustrated so he kicked the ball in my room with the hopes of bouncing it off the walls a few times. My room was in the basement. Funny thing, I didn't have a ball, I had a bowling ball though. 😂🤣

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

That will leave a mark.

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
a year ago

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Im surprised he told you about that!🤪
I bet HE bounced off the wall a few times!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
a year ago

Im surprised he told you about that!🤪
I bet HE bounced off the wall a few times!

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

The telling me about it started off something like "Son why the hell do you have a bowing ball laying in the middle of your damn floor?" lol
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (1h) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (1h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (1h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (2h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.