beast
  • beast
  • Select Member Topic Starter
a year ago
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/30/deion-sanders-is-ashamed-of-31-nfl-teams-for-not-drafting-any-hbcu-players/ 

I'm not even going to post the quotes, but I don't understand why these current or former HBCU (historically black college or university) head coaches keep coming up with conspiracy theories that the NFL is specifically targeting their schools to hold them and their school down...

Seems like they're trying to play the race card, but (and I could be wrong) but aren't most of the draft picks black?

If you want more of your players drafted then recruit, coach and develop better... teams don't seem to care where the talent comes from... heck, they have even occasionally drafted some players from the NCAA basketball and Canadian colleges (both of which are considered lower tiers of developing NFL players).
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
It's complaining for the sake of complaining. NFL would draft green men if they thought it would help them win. To get 32 teams to agree to not draft these players is next to impossible. This claim is simply moronic. 
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
a year ago
Less a conspiracy and more the fact that HBCU are no longer a refuge for black players barred from predominantly white colleges. In addition, the immense money and prestige from college football programs means no stone goes unturned these days (and all the documented problems this can cause). If you can play ball, a major university is going to take you. Throw in national exposure thanks to the internet and satellite tv, you can go to a East Carolina, LSU Tech or Northern Iowa and get to the NFL.

it's also a bit hypocritical on Sanders part seeing as he bailed on Jackson State and took over 30 of their players with him to Colorado. He also denied the Detroit Lions the film of a player who started at Jackson State before transferring to Florida when they drafted him.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Zero2Cool
a year ago

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/30/deion-sanders-is-ashamed-of-31-nfl-teams-for-not-drafting-any-hbcu-players/ 

I'm not even going to post the quotes, but I don't understand why these current or former HBCU (historically black college or university) head coaches keep coming up with conspiracy theories that the NFL is specifically targeting their schools to hold them and their school down...

Seems like they're trying to play the race card, but (and I could be wrong) but aren't most of the draft picks black?

If you want more of your players drafted then recruit, coach and develop better... teams don't seem to care where the talent comes from... heck, they have even occasionally drafted some players from the NCAA basketball and Canadian colleges (both of which are considered lower tiers of developing NFL players).

Originally Posted by: beast 

I saw Deion was "ashamed" or something. Maybe my understanding of demographics is wrong, but isn't it like 75% white and 13% black with the other races taking up the remaining part of the pie? I can't say I ever really noticed race much until it was seemingly forced into my face day in day out. And yes, that is because as a white person I never have to worry about my skin. That is why for a white guy having a black head coach, it's meaningless, but for a black person to have a black head coach it is huge. 

Whenever I turn the TV on. I see the minorities represented very well. Which is great, not complaining at all, but it's definitely not equal in the demographic sense. And it just makes it feel weird when the race card feels to be pulled more and more. 

The crowd that says the NFL is ~80% black players but only one team with black ownership NEEDS to change. They don't say there should be more white players, more Asian players, nope, they say there should be more black owners. Shouldn't population demographics be considered here when punching down?

I dislike it all. I just wish people would be hired based on qualifications alone, nothing more, nothing less. Not hired to fit some statistic or whatever. 

Anyhow, the percentage of college players that makes the NFL is incredibly low. In fact, just 1.6 percent of college players will become a professional in the NFL. So the other 98.4 percent of players in college right now will not have their dream realized. 
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
a year ago
Something else I was thinking about this morning. In order for Snders whining to be valid he would have to show how these players that were not taken are better than the ones who were.

GMs get fired for not fielding a winning team. Zero chance they won't take the player that THEY feel is best. Zero chance that an owner will tell his GM not to take a player from those schools AND the GM tells him no or that it doesn't leak to the press. Remember how Flores claimed he was told to lose games? It would get out.

Can you imagine Jerry Jones taking a pass on a HBCU player? Dan Snyder playiing nice with all the other owners? 

This is what is so frustrating with society today. People make claims that are not true. There is no way to substanciate them. And yet they gain traction and are considered legit instead of being dismissed as the ravings of a person who needs mental help.
UserPostedImage
a year ago
Actually, I have it on good authority that MLK Jr. left off part of what he was going to say in his "I have a dream" speech.

What he was going to say was 

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character and their RAS score.

Somehow, the last phrase was edited out....alas
Go Packers!!!!
dhazer
a year ago

Something else I was thinking about this morning. In order for Snders whining to be valid he would have to show how these players that were not taken are better than the ones who were.

GMs get fired for not fielding a winning team. Zero chance they won't take the player that THEY feel is best. Zero chance that an owner will tell his GM not to take a player from those schools AND the GM tells him no or that it doesn't leak to the press. Remember how Flores claimed he was told to lose games? It would get out.

Can you imagine Jerry Jones taking a pass on a HBCU player? Dan Snyder playiing nice with all the other owners? 

This is what is so frustrating with society today. People make claims that are not true. There is no way to substanciate them. And yet they gain traction and are considered legit instead of being dismissed as the ravings of a person who needs mental help.

Originally Posted by: wpr 

I actually did some other reading on this stuff and about Sanders. Now the Colorado players are entering the transfer portal and they are saying Sanders is so bad, but he told them straight out you guys were 1-11 last year I am bringing in my guys. I saw a big post how it was like 23 players went to the portal and they made a huge deal but didn't mention he has the largest group of transfers coming to Colorado and actually have the highest grades to the other schools. He has people leaving Bama and Florida and Michigan to go play for him. 

Also I think the point that is being missed here and that he is doing what every coach should be doing and bragging up his players as that shows he cares for them, and by doing that he will get the better players. And he did bring 2 conference championships and in 3 years he was 27-6 and 19-2 in conference and the last 2 years was undefeated in conference. I say thats pretty good.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (9h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

10h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.