Martha Careful
10 months ago
Kris Burke wrote

The Packers are ready for a liberated Matt LaFleur to cook
The fourth year coach can finally run his offense, but is he up to the challenge?
By Kris Burke@KrisBurke  Jul 4, 2023, 11:30am CDT  

Matt LaFleur, welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

If there’s one person in the Green Bay Packers franchise not named Jordan Love with the most to prove this year, it might actually be the team’s fourth year head coach. That might be crazy talk in normal circumstances for a coach who has won over 70% of his games, but these are not normal times in Titletown. For the first time in 15 years, there’s a new starting quarterback in command.

For his critics, LaFleur’s security blanket is gone. For his advocates, LaFleur had an albatross removed from his back. That blanket and/or bird is of course former quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who’s of course now a New York Jet.

The doubters will say LaFleur rode the coattails of his former quarterback and that with Love running his offense, the head coach will prove to be not quite as good as his historic winning percentage indicates. Believers in LaFleur will argue that without the control obsessed Rodgers under center and a quarterback he has helped mold from day one in his place, LaFleur will finally be able to run the offense he’s really wanted to run since his arrival in Green Bay in 2019.

There was much ballyhoo about how things would work between Rodgers and LaFleur when the coach was hired, especially around “the audible thing.” The solution was somewhere in the middle: the Packers ran many LaFleur concepts while keeping a lot of things Rodgers was comfortable with, even if they weren’t staples of the coach’s scheme (lack of motion, more quarterback audible control, etc).

Now, with Love, LaFleur has full control of the kitchen and can finally utilize his full bag of tricks. Christian Watson, Romeo Doubs, and others can move at will before the snap, Aaron Jones can be used in a multitude of ways, and the coach can have confidence the play he calls is what will be run.

While this all sounds tremendously positive, those with doubts do need to be given some credence. We don’t actually know how well this will all come together and there’s a not-insignificant chance LaFleur might not be all that some think he’s cracked up to be.

That’s the whole theme of this upcoming Packers season: sailing into the unknown. A big part of that is Love, but LaFleur should be part of that as well. Thankfully, those with concerns can listen to the words of their now former quarterback, who gave LaFleur a lot of credit for the two MVP awards he won under his watch (even if arguably the drafting of his successor may have been what lit the spark).

Regardless of where you fall, LaFleur is truly free to spread his wings and show what he can do.

We already know he can run a locker room. Vibes around the team have been stellar every year since he took charge and that hasn’t changed at all in this first year with Love. In fact, if you look at the myriad Instagram posts throughout the summer from a variety of players, one could argue the vibes are better than ever.

It’s the on-field work that will ultimately define LaFleur’s legacy in Green Bay and it will largely hinge on how Love plays
To paraphrase former coach Mike Holmgren, LaFleur and Love are now joined at the hip. They will either reach the top of the mountain together or end up in the trash together.

But it will be together.

It’s time to see what they can do. It could be good, it could be bad. Until then, there’s fresh air at 1265 Lombardi Avenue as the anticipation of the start of new era builds as each day training camp gets closer.

It’s time to get to work.

It’s time to let Matt LaFleur cook.

I thought this was a great column.  It efficiently voices what I had tried in vain to say in other threads.

I hope MLF excels in his game planning and game day coaching.   We may surprise some folks this year, especially if the D plays up to potential
Go Packers!!!!
beast
10 months ago
I think they broke down the dynamic very well, and the difference we could be seeing, and the uncertainty I'm how the difference will result in.

But I disagree with us knowing he can run a locker room and even more so, select the correct person for the job.

He selected Joe Barry over Ejiro Evero as defensive coordinator and Evero has seemingly had more success in a small sample.

And just last year reporters seemed to be whispering that defensive players were openly saying ever bad thing about Joe Barry. Which the reporters whispers seemed to suggest it was mostly DBs.

And we later found out that coach Jerry Gray and Barry weren't on the same page.

Also late in the season, there was an article about the DL players going to Barry and telling him to keep it more simple and when he finally listened they add more success.

Currently it seems like LaFleaur's weakness is selecting the right people and while the locker room like LaFleaur, it doesn't like the people LaFleaur puts in control, which if that continues, sooner or later that will blow up and be a locker room issue, so I don't feel we can say LaFleaur can run a locker room yet, especially the locker room of a struggling team. And most reasonable people can run a locker room of success, just don't run it off the rails.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
10 months ago

Kris Burke wroteI thought this was a great column.  It efficiently voices what I had tried in vain to say in other threads.

I hope MLF excels in his game planning and game day coaching.   We may surprise some folks this year, especially if the D plays up to potential

Originally Posted by: Martha Careful 

PREDICTION: Packers offense will be better than the Jets. No jinx. 
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
beast
10 months ago

PREDICTION: Packers offense will be better than the Jets. No jinx. 

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

If that happens, my guess is it's because the Jets OL falls apart and/or Jets can't handle the OL's lack of pass protection. But people were pretty surprised how poor the Broncos offense was last year, it could happen to Nathaniel Hackett again.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
CanPackFan (1h) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.