dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 months ago
I just saw a video on this and they stated that the read option is pretty much going to be a penalty this year. What I mean by that is you can't hand the ball off in front of you. Most of the time you will have the wr coming across with them being an option for a handoff but as of July 8th that will now be a penalty.  Here is what I found with a quick google search.

"Read-option handoffs
For any handoff on a read-option play, the quarterback must hand the ball to a runner either parallel to him or behind him. Anything in front of the quarterback will be classified as an illegal forward pass and penalized 5 yards. Jul 8, 2023"

So how many times when they do the option the RB is normally already in front of the QB when he decides to either pull it away or let the runner keep it. I wonder how many times this will be called and how many games will it affect. Baltimore went from a playoff contender to now having to change their whole offensive philosophy. Running QBs will now have to become passers such as Lamar, Justin Fields and Jalen Hurts.  And I wonder what it will do to the GB offense as you know they must have the read option with Love .

Thoughts?

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 months ago
I found this nugget "For any handoff on a read-option play, the quarterback must hand the ball to a runner either parallel to him or behind him. Anything in front of the quarterback will be classified as an illegal forward pass and penalized 5 yards." so it sounds like there won't be anymore QB/RB tandem running forward and the QB deciding to give him the ball or take him himself?

If this is true. I am not sure this changes a lot bunch with read option.

UserPostedImage
beast
9 months ago
My thought is that this rule makes no damn sense and how the refs are told to interpreted the rule could make a huge difference.

1) Why can't you hand the ball off, from one player to the other as long as possession is not lost, anywhere on the field?

But almong the general and traditional rules, this rule makes no sense. Looks like the rule was proposed by the Competition Committee. 

The entire AFC North has a guy in the committee and they have to stop the Ravens, and with the exception of the Eagles all the NFC East teams are in it and they have to stop the Eagles. Also the Colts (with head coach from the Eagles) is thought to do it as well, and you got one from the AFC South and the FORMER Colt head coach in this list too. 

To me, that's how this rule makes the most sense, the Competition Committees want to help their defenses, and for once a rule that helps the defense is nice, but the rule doesn't fit. Also the competition committee would in theory need an argument for this, like Safety reasons, or something, I'd like to hear what their argument for this was.

The NFL commissioner selects the members of the Competition Committee, which currently includes: 

Rich McKay (Chairman) – president and CEO, Atlanta Falcons

Katie Blackburn – executive vice president, Cincinnati Bengals

Chris Grier – general manager, Miami Dolphins

Stephen Jones – executive vice president, Dallas Cowboys

John Mara – owner, NY Giants

Ozzie Newsome – executive vice president, Baltimore Ravens

Frank Reich – head coach, Carolina Panthers 

Ron Rivera – head coach, Washington Commanders

Mike Tomlin – head coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

Mike Vrabel – head coach, Tennessee Titans

2) All depends on how the Refs are told to interprete this new rule. As I interprete the rule: This eliminates a forward handoff, but not the QB taking the ball back from the RB... so they can still run QB pass or QB run plays out of the read option, just if they hand it off, the hand off must be completed before the RB is clearly in front of the QB.

So this likely eliminates the traditional East/West Read Options where the QB is looking forward, up the field and allowed.to read the entire field, but the North/South read option where the QB is turned to one side or another, but can only see/read half the field with the RB to their side is still in play.

3) The biggest change I see is elimination of the traditional east-west read option, AND for the traditional jet sweep hand off plays.

But their is an easy solution, and we've already seen it on the jet sweep, where to make sure the QB is out of the way and doesn't snap the jet sweeper, they changed it from a handoff to a 12 inch pass play.

So gone are some of the traditional handoffs (which seems to make no sense to get rid of) and to replace them is short tosses instead. So instead of read option, you'll get read short toss options.

UserPostedImage
dfosterf
9 months ago
Stupid rule that I think on net favors the Packers, so therefore I'm for it. 😆 
beast
9 months ago

Stupid rule that I think on net favors the Packers, so therefore I'm for it. 😆 

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Might as well call it the Anti-Eagles, Colts and Ravens rule.

I think it helps defenses. But again, just make it a short toss instead of a hand off... I don't think it's going to change too much, that being said more ruining of the running game and their stats and helping of the passing game and their stats.

Maybe help against the Bears if they did this.

I'd still like to hear their reasoning for thinking to have the need to include this rule. Because I don't see how it helps Safety that much, nor competition, unless you are just trying to help defenses (which normally they do the opposite), and there is supposed to be a greater reason than that.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
9 months ago

I think it helps defenses. But again, just make it a short toss instead of a hand off... I don't think it's going to change too much, that being said more ruining of the running game and their stats and helping of the passing game and their stats. 

Originally Posted by: beast 

A short toss takes longer than a hidden handoff. And a toss has a higher probability of being dropped/fumbled. We see the option toss a lot though so while it might increase the probability of fumbles or what not, I really don't see it altering the game except maybe a play or two a week -- if that.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
9 months ago

A short toss takes longer than a hidden handoff. And a toss has a higher probability of being dropped/fumbled. We see the option toss a lot though so while it might increase the probability of fumbles or what not, I really don't see it altering the game except maybe a play or two a week -- if that.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

Well, it all depends on how its interpreted because when they do the read option 75% the time the qb and rb both have the ball as the rb passes the qb. So If he finally lets go and after that will it be a penalty or because the handoff started when they were parallel will it be ok. As far as the little flip to the Jet sweep guy that would be a pass and if he drops it then its just incomplete and not a fumble.  I think this was all to defend against the major running teams as I have stated.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.