Martha Careful
10 months ago

Wendell Ferreira wrote:
Matt LaFleur Has the First Real Opportunity to Shine as a Protagonist Offensive Mind
Packers head coach has a challenging transition ahead 

By WendellFerreira.   Jul 25, 2023

During a five-episode series of The Athletic's podcast "The Playcallers," it became evident how Green Bay Packers head coach Matt LaFleur has long been respected and praised around the NFL. However, he often found himself in the shadows of fellow coaching rising stars, like Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. Throughout his career, LaFleur has been working alongside these renowned figures in Washington, Atlanta, and Los Angeles. While his coaching prowess was recognized, he didn't have the same opportunities to be the true protagonist.

It wasn't until 2018, when LaFleur got his first chance at playcalling with the Tennessee Titans, that he could showcase his offensive acumen. Circumstances forced him to rely heavily on the running game, led by Derrick Henry, due to the limitations of the passing offense around Marcus Mariota.

Since taking over in Green Bay in 2019, LaFleur has undoubtedly done a valuable job.

Nevertheless, his accomplishments often appeared overshadowed, again, this time by the presence of Aaron Rodgers. When the team lost, the blame fell on LaFleur, the defense, or special teams. But when they won, and they have won a lot, it was inevitably attributed to having a future Hall of Fame quarterback.
This dynamic sparked discussions regarding the extent of LaFleur's impact versus what Rodgers is able to do. The quarterback, however, had been playing below his usual standards for a couple of years before LaFleur's arrival. Under LaFleur's guidance, Rodgers went on to claim two more NFL MVP awards. Now, with Jordan Love stepping in as the Packers starting quarterback, LaFleur has an unprecedented opportunity to fully shape the narrative of what Green Bay's offense will be.

While LaFleur himself argued more than once that the offense will always require adaptation, and it won't be different with Love under center, it's evident that in the past, LaFleur had to tailor his offensive philosophy significantly to align with what Rodgers preferred. This led to some initial tension in 2019, and even last year Rodgers expressed a need to "simplify" the offense when things weren't going smoothly. 

"Simpler. Simpler. Simplify some things. All of it," Rodgers said. "A lot of it is simple mistakes. If we're making simple mistakes on complex plays, to me we need to simplify some things."
Throughout the last couple of seasons, Rodgers has also voiced his dislike for motions and shifts, as they interfere with his ability to read the opposing defense. However, motions are a fundamental aspect of LaFleur's coaching philosophy.

With Jordan Love at the helm, a player drafted by the Packers when LaFleur was already in charge, the coach has more freedom to build an offense that aligns with his vision. If this approach proves successful, it will demonstrate LaFleur's true value as an elite offensive mind, independent of Rodgers' presence.
So far, LaFleur has shown great ability to manage the Packers when things weren't working that well. This is something Sean McVay himself praised during last year, when both the Rams and the Packers were having tough seasons.

"I've been so impressed with just watching the consistency and the steadiness at which he's handled things," McVay mentioned. "I think it's reflected with the way that they've responded and in a lot of good instances based on some of the things that they’ve gone through as well."
This season holds transformative potential for the Packers as a whole. For Matt LaFleur, it's an especially crucial moment to emerge as a respected and accomplished offensive mind, entirely on his own merits.

I know we have a thread like this, but I can’t find it. I think this article is very well written and it’s going to be interesting to see how MLS does things this year.

Go Packers!!!!
nerdmann
10 months ago
Correct. Matt will now create the offense around Jordan's skills and what Jordan does well. Every player has strengths and weaknesses. 

However, the previous QB took this to an extreme by demanding Mike be shitcanned, calling Mike "low IQ," then demanding to keep running Mike's offense. And oh yeah, no motion, no attacking the middle of the field.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.