Zero2Cool
7 months ago
I was all on board when he got hired. I saw him be a deer getting run over during his early press conferences to now holding down things well. And also awfully damn ornery too which I'm not sure how I feel about that.

What has me questioning if he's the right guy or not is the same comments are said in 2023 that he said the years prior all the way to 2019. It's great to be falling on the sword but at what point do you stop falling and figuring out how to stand?

I think for LaFleur to be a successful Head Coach, he needs a Defensive Coordinator that has some nasty to them. Aaron Rodgers used to say that LaFleur was easily excitable and he thought it was funny and would calm him down. I'm not sure if Jordan Love can calm down LaFleur so is?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
7 months ago
Benkert: So I’m gonna go head coaches here. I played for Dan Quinn, who I absolutely love. I really loved Kyle Shanahan, and LaFleur and I really butted heads. I will just be very honest about it. The beginning things were really good. By the time that I got released from the Packers, transparently, I went home after an OTA practice and I just told my wife, “Dude I cannot do this shit anymore.” It is driving me insane, because I was just like getting it, dude. It’s offseason. Aaron Rodgers wasn’t there to kind of lighten up the mood. A lot of coaches had left. Some players had left. It was that new year, and then I ended up getting cut like three weeks later, thankfully. He was just unloading on me every day, and I didn’t take it anymore, and that’s why I ended up getting cut. And it kind of left a really sour taste in my mouth, because I freaking loved Green Bay. I rode for it.

I’ve gotten a lot of questions about my opinion / experience with MLF and will be very transparent on my comments of us “butting heads”.

I’ll start by giving my honest opinions about the scheme. It’s outdated, and there is a better way to play offense right now. I’m not going to go into full detail but I talk about this stuff all the time on my reviews.

On a personal level, outside of football - our personalities couldn’t have been more opposite and when you spend countless hours with someone in a meeting room you grow to know them. My personality meshed really well with some of the other coaches, and not so much with his. Those coaches left and I was released soon after. Have you ever had a boss that you don’t vibe with? Same thing, is what it is and people move on.

Add to this, when you’re in a quarterback room, regardless of position on the roster - you’re expected to contribute and speak up - especially a room with Aaron Rodgers. If you think keeping your opinion to yourself was an option - on scheme, play design, matchups, etc - good luck with that.

So over a year of giving my point of view on how I see the game, offense, mixed in with the fact that I was doing a lot in the gaming / media space while being a player — it was clear that it wasn’t liked so much. So regardless of how well I felt I was playing - it didn’t really matter. At the end of the day I was a dispensable practice squad player. My perspective in conversation, added in with my projects off the field weren’t a fit for the head coach (even though it was appreciated by others).

If you think players only get cut over performance or personal conduct issues, you may have forgotten that sometimes people just have different personalities that don’t fit with the ones in charge. I’m sure some of you have experienced this before and the NFL is no different.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
7 months ago
I like MLF the head coach, and as a person that we can see.

The biggest fault I can find with him, his hires for OC and DC. I have seen Adam Stenavich as a HS player, know people that know him very well, but he is struggling as a OC to date and our Oline has regressed. But patience there is probably in order.

But my gawd, what possessed him to hold onto Barry for another season after his track records here and elsewhere, that has me questioning everything. And that is not a joke. Not that I have any say in anything, but if he can't make the tough choices, then he should be held accountable for his hire and guy. Period.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
7 months ago

I like MLF the head coach, and as a person that we can see.

The biggest fault I can find with him, his hires for OC and DC. I have seen Adam Stenavich as a HS player, know people that know him very well, but he is struggling as a OC to date and our Oline has regressed. But patience there is probably in order.

But my gawd, what possessed him to hold onto Barry for another season after his track records here and elsewhere, that has me questioning everything. And that is not a joke. Not that I have any say in anything, but if he can't make the tough choices, then he should be held accountable for his hire and guy. Period.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Absolutely, Sean McVay has amazed me in that the loses guys often and then seemingly hires brand new guys perfectly qualified. Matt LaFleaur seems the opposite, making lots of questionable hires.

Also, LaFleaur seems lost if he's put in a reality new situation, like Love's first start against the Chiefs. They weren't prepared for coverage 0, not at all? Coverage 0 is uncommon for veteran proven QBs, but can be pretty common for new QBs, as if they can't handle it, you can run it all game and that's exactly what the Chiefs did once they figured out the Packers didn't have an answer. Seemed like LaFleaur assumed Chiefs would treat Love like Rodgers or that Love could handle it like Rodgers and they didn't need to prepare for anything different.

To me, it just seems like both LaFleaur and Barry, they don't see or prepared for potential issues, until after they get exposed in games. Just seem complacent, like they think they got everything covered, until other coaches show them in games, oh you didn't think about planning for this did you?

Like the Preston Smith on WR Adams, where the Raiders simply put a RB, FB and TE on the field, so Packers put the run defense on the field, make sense. But then the Raiders lined the bigs on the outside and the smalls in the slot, and Packers stayed in their scheme and didn't adjust.

So it's seems easy to catch the playcaller off guard with doing something out of the box.

Also, I still think these schemes rely more on the linemen than some other schemes, and Gute hasn't been as successful with linemen selections.

But that doesn't change the fact the coaches are being out planned and out play called.

I have wondered if LaFleaur was hoping the Jets would fire their head coach (his best friend) or even Chargers head coach and then he could hire him. But that's pure speculation on my part and probably wrong. LaFleaur wanted the Vic Fangio scheme, and I think that's why he's kept Barry.

Anyone know if Jim Leonhard might be available?

UserPostedImage
7 months ago
Packr93 wrote

Perhaps he does not want to hire people who might be a threat to his job.

Anyone know if Jim Leonhard might be available?

Originally Posted by: beast 

He is....currently an "analyst" with Illinois, i.e. he is taking a year off.

What ever our offensive schemes are, as mentioned in another thread, when you look at the replays from end zone or wide shots, our guys are rarely open on pass plays, so they obviously know what's coming. For run schemes, I am not sure if its a poor run blocking Oline or the Defense knows what coming there as well.

After a successful drive when we were running with Dillon, the Raiders switch fronts on the next drive. We seem mystified that they might change something after we ran the ball down their throats. Football is a game of adjustments, and adjusting to the adjustments.

Moreover, we do not seem able to keep anyone off balance

Go Packers!!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (15h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (19h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (19h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.