Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
You have absolutely got to be kidding me.. King must have received a sizeable envelope from Chitown in the mail recently.. there is no freaking way they should be that high.. none. Never mind their secondary that is in shambles.

A big ol' negative notch in the respect meter for Kings team assessment abilities.

4. Chicago
I may not like how Jay Cutler babied his way out of Denver, but by Labor Day, the football world will have forgotten, and by Thanksgiving, the most popular baby name in Chicagoland will be Jay. (Unless it's Jerry, as in Angelo, the man who stuck his neck out and made this deal.) Cutler's a big-time player, and I suspect we'll find out over the next few years if he has nerves of steel and can win the big game.

Now, there's two things we don't know about Cutler and this offense. There's not a great receiver in the house and no promise of one on the way (Angelo should have guaranteed Torry Holt more money to get him to come to the Windy City). So Cutler's going to have to make do with the Devin Hesters and Rashied Davises, apparently. (Not that there's anything wrong with Hester. But he should be a third receiver, using his speed to game-break.)

Two: How good of a leader can Cutler be, coming in with the knock that he chafes on some teammates. It'll be interesting to see if he meshes well with Brian Urlacher; I don't take for granted that he will. Because of the Cutler factor and because I don't love the defense the way I did two or three years ago, I didn't want to leap the Bears over so many other teams. But then I went back and looked at their 2008 numbers. The bedrock stats for a good defense, I've always thought, are opponents yards per rush, turnovers forced and opponents' yards per pass. The yards per rush, 3.4, was excellent, third-best in the league. Turnovers forced, 32, was very good, second in the league. And yards per pass play by foes, 6.20, was eighth in the league. All good. If Cutler can lead an offense that puts up 400 points, only a point and a fraction more than a year ago, the Bears should win 12.

14. Green Bay
I'm shocked the Packers won only six games last year. It just showed how valuable a piece of their puzzle Cullen Jenkins was. At 6-2 and 305 pounds and with good lateral quickness, he should come back from the torn pectoral that caused him to miss 12 games last year and play very well in the new 3-4. This is a team with far better talent than six wins, and I expect Aaron Rodgers to be better in the fourth quarter this year than last, by the sheer experience factor.

Hiring Dom Capers to run the defense was smart because the 4-3 wasn't working with the talent Green Bay had in-house. With B.J. Raji anchoring the middle, and Jenkins and Clay Matthews and new outside 'backer Aaron Kampman rushing, I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers won 10. But they'll have to run the gamut of a tough schedule the last month of the season (Baltimore, at Chicago, at Pittsburgh, Seattle, at Arizona) to make the playoffs.

15. Minnesota
It's hard to forecast because the offense is so spotty after Adrian Peterson, and I can only assume Percy Harvin will stay on the straight and narrow with so much at stake in his life and career, but they don't sell insurance for those kind of things. We don't know who will play quarterback for the Vikes. But either Sage Rosenfels or Favre would be better than Gus Frerotte. Eight times they scored 28 or more last year, mostly with Frerotte playing. The biggest benefit? Minnesota has the easiest first month in football: at Cleveland, at Detroit, San Francisco, Green Bay, at St. Louis. If they don't get out to a 4-1 start, you know something's wrong.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
15 years ago
Hah, commented on this on PP.O aswell. I think it's a pretty bad list.

I think that Indianapolis is really high. They're on the decline in my eyes and have no capable back-ups behind most of their starters.

Chicago, I'm not going into. Apparently the most hyped team is the best one or something, because I can't come up with any other logical analysis.

I think that the Texans are way to high there aswell. Steve Slaton is great, but what do they really have over lets say the Vikings or Packers? Most things about them are very mediocre.
15 years ago
He's part of the NFL hype machine. Chicago = big market. Cutler = high profile move. He's going to talk it up.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

He's part of the NFL hype machine. Chicago = big market. Cutler = high profile move. He's going to talk it up.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Yup.
Thats the way i see it.
Cutler hasn't proven he's a big time QB yet. Yet they hype him like he's something great.
UserPostedImage
Orygunfan76
15 years ago
I don't believe squat King ever says but I do think Cutler will be damn good for years to come if healthy. I think Rodgers will also be one of the new breeds of the NFL'stop level qbs as well. I wouldn't put any NFC North team in the top ten and if I had to do so it would be Minnesota at exactly #10.
blank
Yerko
15 years ago
LINK 
There is the link for those not knowing where this is coming from.

Peter King is on crack! Bears @ #4? I mean really...I was dumbfounded and I heard this on the radio this morning. Yes, Bears fans are hooting about it (typical). I think everyone here in Chicago is high on Cutler-crack.

I am tired of seeing media spew garbage during the off-season. We are just as bored but that doesn't mean we can write dumb articles and make dumb predictions.

I said the one thing all top 10 teams have in common was a good quarterback...Matt Schaub?!?!?! Really.

This crap makes me hate the off-season...even more.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
15 years ago
I agree with the article but I wouldn't expect it would go over well on a Packers site
blank
porky88
15 years ago
The problem with the Bears and how they're viewed is people actually think they still have a good defense.

That was soooooo 2005 and 2006.

The defense struggled in 07 and got even worse last season.

How is it going to get better?

They don't have many young pieces in place. The DE's are a mess with Kampman and yes Cullen Jenkins in four games having more sacks combined than the Bears trio.

Good linebackers even though Urlacher is declining.

Terrible secondary though. I mean awful in comparisons to Green Bay's and Minnesota's.

I think the Bears could win the division because of Cutler and Forte, but No. 4 is obsurb. I would take the Giants, Eagles, Cowboys, and Falcons ahead of Chicago for sure.

That's just in the NFC.
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

I agree with the article but I wouldn't expect it would go over well on a Packers site

"dd80forever" wrote:

OMG you're not a Packer fan!!!

:xcensoredx: :whipitgood:
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
15 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"Negative Nelly" strikes again!!!

Just when we thought it was safe to enter a thread........."NEGATIVE NELLY is there to SAVE THE DAY! Peeing on our charcoal, so we NEVER have to worry about wild fires!
Raining on our parade, just to make SURE we don't get sun burned!!!

"Who WAS that masked man???? And WHY did he pee all over my charcoal???"

"Don't you KNOW!?!? That was "NEGATIVE NELLY!" He comes out to make SURE that NO positive thoughts might enter your Packer fan brain! THANK YOU NEGATIVE NELLY FOR MAKING US PROPERLY DREAD THE UPCOMING PACKER SEASON!!!"

(just messin' with ya DD80!!! All in jest!) :thumbleft:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (14h) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (14h) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

31-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.