RaiderPride
14 years ago
I read in a book, I think it was "The Water Boy" that coaches will move a player to the second team at times so that player can focus on a certain aspect of his game, and the assistant or specialty coaches can focus on that area (like footwork or what ever.) and work with him more exclusively, while the Coordinator works with the first unit as a whole.

Kind of like pulling a player aside, putting him on the second team and saying, forget about the scheme as a whole for a moment and let's just work on this for a while?

Perhaps this is what is going on.... Especially for Rookies in OTA
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Man, I hope he pans out. I don't see how it could be a bad thing that he's good enough to keep the rookie on the sidelines some. Perhaps if anyone still takes Haze and the other Debbie Downers seriously enough to be bothered by them, this could count as some "ammunition" for their anti-Teddy crusade, maybe.

But who cares? If J. Thompson shines in this defense it's nothing but a positive, IMO.

Plus, it would be the one prediction I've made in the past 5-10 years that actually came to pass. Bonus!
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
Well obviously Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy see something in thompson.

btw thompson was the only other guy that he traded up for since hes been here.

So he must like something he has seen in him.
Stevetarded
14 years ago
This draft was kind of a crapshoot more than anything just because of the fact that there is no possible way to know how well or badly the current roster would perform in this defense. I think based on the information at hand at the time of the draft picking up Raji and Matthews was the best possible decision. If Pickett and Thompson win their starting spots it means they performed well above expectations. Though nomatter what I expect to see Raji on the line whether it be DE or NT.

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care what player is playing what position or when they were drafted as long as the team does well. If we win games with Justin Harrell at QB and Aaron Rodgers at ILB then thats fine with me. 🙂
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

This draft was kind of a crapshoot more than anything just because of the fact that there is no possible way to know how well or badly the current roster would perform in this defense. I think based on the information at hand at the time of the draft picking up Raji and Matthews was the best possible decision. If Pickett and Thompson win their starting spots it means they performed well above expectations. Though nomatter what I expect to see Raji on the line whether it be DE or NT.

Maybe it's just me but I really don't care what player is playing what position or when they were drafted as long as the team does well. If we win games with Justin Harrell at QB and Aaron Rodgers at ILB then thats fine with me. =)

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Well I know some peeps would of liked us to have taken crabtree at 9 and to have 2 extra 3rd round picks.

I'm going to be eyeing sitton and crabtree thought the next few seasons to see how they do. in comparrison - but obviously my hope is that raji and matthews do very well here
go.pack.go.
14 years ago

I just picked the thread i had open lol. Didn't know what one it was in :p
LTF the main question is wouldn't you kind of have your projected starters playing with the 1st team? Just like i saw a post stating that Raji didn't get any snaps at NT. Isn't that the position we drafted him for? Matthews was drafted to be the OLB opposite of Kampman. I was just curious about why they don't have them with the 1st team.

"dhazer" wrote:

We actually don't KNOW that I don't think, that is what was speculated. But yes I also find it kind of odd that he didn't take any snaps at NT.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
is this about Jermey still?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

What? A positive thread? Nobody is unhappy with their contract or position? ;)

But seriously I think Thompson is going to be a contributing factor for this defense.

"Bigbyfan" wrote:

I liked Thompson in KGB's role last season, if/when he was in it that is. Basically, I liked seeing him in there on third and long. He looks like ... kind of like a Jason Taylor BUILD to me.

I'd like to see him smack some people around with Kampman.

Man, I just want us to beat the shit out of people. Make people fear us. I want a NASTY defense that teams look on their schedule and go 'oh fuck! its the packers next week'.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Has anyone in the Packers' organization ever stated explicitly that Raji was drafted to play NT, or is that simply what everyone else assumed? Maybe he was actually drafted to play DE. Or, given the fact that we know Ted Thompson likes to draft versatile players, maybe they're just getting Raji accustomed to playing multiple roles.

I do think the Jeremy Thompson pick lends further credence to the theory that Ted Thompson has had a multi-year plan to move to the 3-4 for some time now. All the people who have assumed he's an inept buffoon with no long-term vision are looking dumber all the time.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

Has anyone in the Packers' organization ever stated explicitly that Raji was drafted to play NT, or is that simply what everyone else assumed? Maybe he was actually drafted to play DE. Or, given the fact that we know Ted Thompson likes to draft versatile players, maybe they're just getting Raji accustomed to playing multiple roles.

I do think the Jeremy Thompson pick lends further credence to the theory that Ted Thompson has had a multi-year plan to move to the 3-4 for some time now. All the people who have assumed he's an inept buffoon with no long-term vision are looking dumber all the time.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

bit off topic -
Well I dont know if it was all the mock drafts or what - but most of us thought that the reason we spent a 9 pick on the best DT in the draft was because we needed a solid NT or one that could rotate.

IMO its going to be a long time till we see another 9 pick in the draft. Heck we could of drafted crabtree FA up carter and been all set too.

Lets just hope raji can bring us what we want for our 9 pick ...

one thing to note is that matthews was out with a hamstring injury so he should get more practice time once its better (perhaps at the spot thompson is playing
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (19h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Packers Draft Threads / beast

52m / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

14h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

20h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.