Trippster
14 years ago
I talked with Sage and Tarvaris. They are competitors. Do they like any of the conversation? (regarding Favre) Absolutely not, Childress said. But they know this. Im charged with adding and subtracting players from this team to make us better. Every day when I walk in this office theres not a day that I dont try to look and see if we can get better at some position.

And if this is going to make us better down the road and its got a chance to happen Im going to take care of the Minnesota Vikings.

Did Thompson and McCarthey approach their jobs this way a year ago?
(I know, I know....major bait, but worthwhile.)
"Let Your Light Shine!"
dingus
14 years ago
100%
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I talked with Sage and Tarvaris. They are competitors. Do they like any of the conversation? (regarding Favre) Absolutely not, Childress said. But they know this. Im charged with adding and subtracting players from this team to make us better. Every day when I walk in this office theres not a day that I dont try to look and see if we can get better at some position.

And if this is going to make us better down the road
and its got a chance to happen Im going to take care of the Minnesota Vikings.

Did Thompson and McCarthey approach their jobs this way a year ago?
(I know, I know....major bait, but worthwhile.)

"Trippster" wrote:

That's the part when I think that it was the right thing for us to let him go and the right thing for them to sign him.

We have a young team and a young QB who's groomed very well, therefore, it was a good thing to let him go after the whole retirement saga.

The Vikings have a lot of old guys and they need to make the final push right now. Their left elite side of the line is getting older, one of their DTs is nearing the end of his career etc. They need to add that final piece to the puzzle which is Favre in this case.
dingus
14 years ago
39 yrs old, coming off shoulder surgery. 22 TDs (12 of wich came in the 1st 4 games,including 6 in one), 22 INTs. Not a good move for the future.

Plus MN has a pedestrian receiving corp and their DB's aren't anything to write home about.

I think it's a desperation move on Chilly's part, pure and simple.

On the upside, I think if they sign him it will tear the fan base apart up there as much as it did in GB.
blank
DGB454
14 years ago

On the upside, I think if they sign him it will tear the fan base apart up there as much as it did in GB.

"dingus" wrote:

The silver lining. :icon_smile:
Rockmolder
14 years ago
On the other side.

39 years old, coming off shoulder surgery, 22 TDs, 22 Ints, was on course for an MVP season before he got that injury.

Minnesota has a decent receiving corpse and Favre could really use Berrian as his deep threat. Percy Harvin is a dynamic playmaker and we all know that Favre can throw a great screen.

I think it's a slightly desperate move, but a good one with some vital parts of his team going up there in age.

It's already tearing the fanbase apart up there with fans going as far as rooting for another team while Favre is playing QB in a purple uniform.

I really think that this could go either way. I personally think that they will be a better team with Favre playing. At least, if he'll stay healthy and keeps going strong down the stretch, which is a big uncertainty.
dingus
14 years ago
When exactly did he get the injury, I thought it was late in the season, not after week 4
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago
He had some down games in between his good play, but non as bad as those last 5 games. He had a very respectable season and topped the 100 QB rating mark three times after those 4 games. Of course, he had some bad games as well, can't deny that, but he can still play.

I really don't want to go here, but I asume that you like Rodgers. He had two games under 60 QB rating and, in total, 4 under 80 QB rating, the benchmark for a 'respectable' rating for me, in most cases. Only difference, Favre's 4 games where in one stretch.

Given, that would've made for 6 games in one season, but without that injury, I find it hard to believe that he would've done that abominable.
longtimefan
14 years ago
Mike M( if you believe Brett) said you make our team better but still choose not to keep him on the team..

Why??

If what Brett said was true ( hard time for me to believe it but lets play what if)

Something else made Mike leave him off the team..
dingus
14 years ago
I too think they will be a better team with Favre but that's not saying much. (if I used emoticons there'd be a wink here)

I do like Rodgers but think he has a way to go still. The topic is the coach/GM's responsibility to the team and I agree with your original post to a point.

I think Ted Thompson & Mike McCarthy made the right decision for their team I think chilly sees the writing on the wall as far as his career in MN goes and is hoping against hope Favre will push them over the edge.

Does it help your team to go for broke for the quick payoff while admitting you don't have a chance with the QB's you have on the roster?

Does it help your team to create a controversy when you don't even know if he's fit to play?

Is QB the only missing piece to the puzzle?

They have a lot of weapons, I'll admit that. But do they have enough weapons to be a lock for the title with a 40 year old QB fresh off of arm surgery?

I'm biased because I am, first and foremost, a Green Bay Packers fan. I also have the advantage of a complete and utter disdain for hero worship and most of the anti Thompson and McCarthy banter is based in hero worship. (I am in no way implying that you suffer from this ailment!)

That being said, I can absolutely say that Thompson and McCarthy's decision last year was the right thing to do. I think they had and have the teams best interest at heart and don't necessarily think Childress and whoever the GM in MN is are doing right by their team FOR THE FUTURE of the organization.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (17h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (17h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
6h / Random Babble / Novalee

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.