dfosterf
14 years ago

The Vikings are legitimate Superbowl contenders. Just like they were the past 2 or 3 years. So the media tells me. (I ignore results)

"vikesrule" wrote:

:thumbright:

No kidding MPF. What is all this Vikings/SB "Contenders" talk by the talking head? The only SB "contenders" in this division during that 3 year span that the media mentions were the 06 Bears (who actually made it) and the 07 packers( who were one descent pass away) The 10-6 Minnesota Vikings had to count on another division rival team(Bears) to lose in week 17 and for the Giants to rest their starters so they could manage a 1 point win against David Carr and Co. in order to obtain their only division title in the new millenium. Then came the Eagles and uh-oh these so-called SB "contenders" were crushed in their house. Now they're only a QB away? Really? I think the Vikings are a descent enough team to possibly make the playoffs again but I think labeling them SB "Contenders" is jumping the gun a bit.

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Geez, trying to get cheeseheads to focus is definitely a script for "Mission Impossible"

First of all, nothing in this persons short article says anything about the current or recently past Vikings being Super Bowl contenders.
He suggests that that are a QB away from that.
However, I digress.

You all seem to miss this gist of the article...........

The focus (yes folks, focus) was on the outstanding athletic abilities of one Joe Mauer...catcher extraordinaire for the Minnesota Twins.
And how his past credentials in the football arena are as impressive as well.

"Mauer ultimately turned down a full ride football scholarship from Florida State University"

While the article has a certain sense of humor to it, the point that writer was attempting to convey is that the current QB situation for the Vikings is, well, suspect to say the least.

Focus people, focus.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

What, you don't like it when folk interject off-topic crap in your thread or something? Heck, I was gonna ask you what happens when you hit a big pile of doo-doo with a laser beam, but I don't want you getting testy, or giving away any of your trade secrets or anything...

On the subject... You already have a quarterback (or two). Jackson will be fine, or Rosenfels will beat him out, or they decide they want to sell tickets and get Favre...

What they OUGHT TO DO (imo)--- see if they can get that third-stringer from Washington, instead of fartin' around with baseball players or 40 yr old retired QB's, for that matter.

j/k on the poop factory thing.

Colt Brennan-- He is doable trade-wise, and the kid can PLAY, Nick...

imo
Formo
14 years ago
Thought I'd put this here.. since it's revelent to the topic.

Vikings Staffers to Observe Favre 

In the next few days a Minnesota Vikings trainer and a member of the team's coaching staff intend to travel to Hattiesburg, Miss...

ESPN wrote:

Hmmm... True? ESPN has been a bit 'off' when it comes to the Vikes and Favre.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I would LOVE to see Colt Brennan in the NFC North.

Humorous anecdote (to me, anyway).

The day of the 2008 NFL Draft, I was fucking blitzed, because I had bought my wife and me tickets to "Breast Cancer Awareness Fest" ($15 all you can drink beer). The beer was tantamount to horse piss and the day was cold as shit, but what the hell, we were having a good time. I drank more beer that day than I'd ever drunk in my life.

Around mid-afternoon, the MC gets on the mike and announces, "With their first pick in the draft, the Packers take Brian Brohm!"

Out on the dance floor, I start roaring, "FUCK YEAH! FUCK YEAH! FUCK YEAH!"

"What's up?" my wife asks.

"The Packers just drafted Brian Fucking Brohm. He set the fucking NCAA record for touchdown passes!"

In my head, of course, I was saying "Colt Brennan," not "Brian Brohm." I was thrilled off my booze-besotten ass. I had been hoping for months the Packers would draft Colt Brennan.

It wasn't till the next day I realized it wasn't Colt Brennan we'd drafted but Brian Brohm. But I was happy about the pick anyway. It's not everyday you get the top projected pick in the draft back in the second round.

I still am pleased about that pick, frankly. I think Brohm will blossom into a fine quarterback one of these days. He probably won't end up starting for us, but some team will want him.

Washington, probably.
UserPostedImage
Orygunfan76
14 years ago
This sums it up best:

"The Vikings are entrusting their future to a QB who is living in the past."
blank
Formo
14 years ago

This sums it up best:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Correction: The Vikings are entrusting this coming season to a QB who is living in the past.

I hate how EVERY person opposed to Favre joining the Vikings claims that it'll destroy the Vikings future. It's one, two seasons.. MAX. By then, I'm pretty confident that they'll have wrapped up a young QB to be their future.
UserPostedImage
Orygunfan76
14 years ago

This sums it up best:

"Formo" wrote:

Correction: The Vikings are entrusting this coming season to a QB who is living in the past.

I hate how EVERY person opposed to Favre joining the Vikings claims that it'll destroy the Vikings future. It's one, two seasons.. MAX. By then, I'm pretty confident that they'll have wrapped up a young QB to be their future.

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Isn't "this coming season" the future?
blank
Formo
14 years ago

This sums it up best:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

Yes, along with countless seasons to follow.. Point is, the phrase sounds like the Vikings are trading multiple draft picks for one washed up Hershel Walker. I like specifics.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

This sums it up best:

"Formo" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

Yes, along with countless seasons to follow.. Point is, the phrase sounds like the Vikings are trading multiple draft picks for one washed up Hershel Walker. I like specifics.

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

What did Sage costs again?

Do you think the CURRENT q/b are going to stick around?

and if they arent then Brett makes sense..

but if you feel they want the current guys to stay, then you are adding on a year or 2 of them developing
Formo
14 years ago

This sums it up best:

"longtimefan" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

What did Sage costs again?

Do you think the CURRENT q/b are going to stick around?

and if they arent then Brett makes sense..

but if you feel they want the current guys to stay, then you are adding on a year or 2 of them developing

"Orygunfan76" wrote:

No clue what Sage cost. Don't care, either.

Current, as in T-Jack, Sage and Booty? It seems to me they don't have much of a choice, as they all have contracts.

As far as adding developing.. That's the goal. I don't think ANY of the Vikings current QBs are going to be any sort of franchise QB. Maybe Booty.. MAYBE. But T-Jack is prett much done (it's in my opinion that T-Jack is the one who gets the axe if Favre signs.. He's had his chance to show who he is on the field. Sage just got here, and Booty is still developing.), Sage is an efficient backup, and Booty is a work in progress. What the Vikings need right now is a proven starter. And I still stand by this. Favre>Booty, Sage and T-Jack.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (16h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (17h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (20h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (20h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
20m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.