dfosterf
14 years ago
I think it's a good one.

Players figuring out...Florio 

Posted by Mike Florio on June 27, 2009, 10:03 a.m. EDT
Weve been saying for a while now that the uncapped year, sold for more than a decade as a dramatic windfall for players, wont be nearly as good as advertised for the men who presumably will benefit from the absence of a spending limit.
And some players are beginning to figure this out.
Most recently, Bears tight end Desmond Clark has addressed the issue in his Internet radio show. (Weve learned of his comments via ESPN Chicago and Fanhouse.)
When you talk to most of the players, they think, Oh, its an uncapped year, I can go out and make all this money, Clark said. But the other eighty-five percent of the league thats not the top tier players, theyre going to suffer.
And hes right.
Have you noticed the number of one-year deals that players have signed this year? On one hand, the players might think that theyll be getting a crack at unrestricted free agency in the uncapped year. On the other hand, the teams will be wiping the salary commitments to these players off the books, just in time for the commencement of a league year that has no salary cap and no salary floor.
Though the individual minimum salaries for 2010 will still apply, the maximum required payout will be $855,000. But thats for a player with ten years of service; those guys would have a better shot at getting a job on Wall Street.
And so a team can choose to fill its roster with younger players, whose minimum salaries for 2010 range from $545,000 for a fourth-year player and $320,000 for a rookie.
Thus, with a salary floor of $111 million in 2009, a team could (if it chooses) spend under $50 million in 2010 on player costs.
But what about the big-name players with high-end multi-year deals? Well, those players can be dumped (and thus their salaries avoided) with no salary cap consequences at all, because there will be no salary cap.
Then theres the reality that the minimum years of service for unrestricted free agency will jump from four years to six. As a result, a team will be able to squat on a key players rights for another season at an investment far lower than the franchise tag.
So Desmond Clark is right. Only a small number of NFL players will cash in. The rest of them will be screwed.
As to those who cash in, how much more will they really earn beyond the current top of the market at the various positions? In our view, the current going rates for elite players wont suddenly jump dramatically because theres no salary cap.
Bottom line? The guys who would get paid huge amounts with a salary cap will get roughly the same money in an uncapped environment. For the rest of the players, the dollars will stay the same, and maybe drop.
And so the NFLPA, in our view, needs to get a new CBA in place before the next league year starts. Otherwise, the union will face a major revolt once players who believe the uncapped year will bring a pile of gold realize that theyre actually getting a pile of something else.

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Florio expresses some thoughts I've been having for a while. It's occurred to me before that while some teams might indulge in an orgy of spending in an uncapped year (Washington, Dallas, and Oakland being the most likely suspects), the reality is the vast majority of teams would probably rein in their player compensation. The dickless owners have been silently resenting the increase in player compensation for some time but haven't been willing to police themselves into bucking the trend. A capless, floorless year would give them the chance they've been looking for -- to take a stand against the players without incurring the wrath of other owners or placing themselves at too great a competitive disadvantage (salary cap hell, etc.).

Moreover, I actually don't think Dallas would go on a spending spree, given the way they've been pinching pennies recently. For all of you who have been expressing veiled class envy against the franchise owners, I don't think you understand how precarious their situation actually is. All you see is the number "$10 million in profit" -- you ignore how much money they have to spend to make that profit. If you had to pay $100 to make $101, would you consider that a good return on investment? The fact is, these guys are operating on razor-thin margins that are shrinking every year, and they realize that the house of cards could collapse almost without warning. The golden goose really is starting to hemorrhage internally, and if you want to keep enjoying your football year after year, you can't rationally side with the players here.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Some salient comments:

NMEagle says:
June 27th, 2009 at 10:53 am

If the uncapped year happens I am wondering if the teams may carry more players; do away with the practice squad. All would be available on game day.

Just wondering about the total ramifications.

SkinsFan says:
June 27th, 2009 at 11:54 am

Norseman: Yes. Rookie scale definitely needed.

NMEagle: No. An uncapped does not affect the player roster limits. Teams will not be able to carry an additional players (that is CBA issue).

enterusernamehere: Without knowing Florios exact intent, I am assuming that while he suggests teams can dump their entire roster and sign players to minimum contracts I dont think he actually means that a team would dump EVERYONE. I think he is saying they would retain a handful of talented players that would still draw an audience and surround them with a bunch of minimum cost players. That is why he says their payroll would be around $50mil and not $16mil. No owner is stupid enough to dump the entire team as nobody would be interested in watching.

Bill In DC says:
June 27th, 2009 at 11:56 am

NMEagle,

It wont change roster limits because, even though there is no ceiling on the salary cap, the CBA is still in effect in 2010. Youd have to wait until March 2011, and, if there is no new CBA by then, then there are no roster limits, no salary cap, etc.

The players hoping for a big payday along with going to a good team will be sorely disappointed as well, because of the Rule of 8 in the CBA (not related to the Law 8 of The Postman fame, so no players can challenge for leadership of the NFL via personal combat) . This rule prevents the top 8 teams in the postseason of the 09 season from signing (or acquiring via trade) any player with a salary of more than 10m/yr unless they lose a player with a salary of $10mil/yr). So some guys get big payoffs, but theyll most likely have to go to sucky teams to do it.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
26m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.