dfosterf
14 years ago
JsOnline blog 

Evening practice recap: Humphrey suffers broken arm
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 6, 2009 9:31 p.m.
Green Bay - Tight end Tory Humphrey, whose time with the Packers has been marred by injuries, suffered a broken forearm in this morning's practice and will have surgery on Friday.
While the injury will likely end his season, the Packers will wait until after the surgery to determine his immediate future in regards to the roster.
Humphrey had a hamstring injury in '06, which landed him on injured reserve. And he missed all of '07 after breaking his lower leg in the first practice of training camp.
Humphrey was injured on a throwaway play near the end of the two-minute drill. Aaron Rodgers threw up a deep pass to Humphrey which was picked off by Aaron Rouse. It didn't count -- Jarius Wynn was offsides to start the play.
"It's awful," coach Mike McCarthy said. "He's had a couple of tough injuries. We'll know more after the surgery."
Even with Evan Moore (broken right ring finger) hurting, McCarthy said the team is OK at tight end.
"Well, with (converted linebacker) Spencer Havner, I think our numbers are OK for now," McCarthy said. "We're hitting that spot in training camp. The outside linebacker position was stressed today and we'll have to look at how they come in and look at (Friday's) practice. This is kind of normal at this point. You hope the day would help you.)
In other injury news, the top two right outside linebackers, Clay Matthews (hamstring) and Jeremy Thompson (groin) left the evening practice. Matthews' injured the same hamstring that kept him out of off-season practices.
Ruvell Martin also dropped out with a groin injury.
Defensive end Justin Harrell was held out because his reps were getting too high, according to McCarthy.
Notes from practice:
Anthony Smith (groin), Pat Williams (hamstring), Johnny Jolly (ankle), Justin Harrell (rest), Brad Jones (back) and Nick Barnett (knee) all were out.
Returning to practice were: Atari Bigby, Scott Wells, Chad Clifton, Ryan Pickett, Al Harris, Charles Woodson, Aaron Kampman and Cullen Jenkins.
Spencer Havner was back with the tight ends.
McCarthy kicked the No. 2 punt team off the field after Jarius Wynn was late getting on the field. McCarthys language was colorful, to say the least.
Havner is still with the No. 1 kickoff coverage unit and most of the other special teams units.
On the net/accuracy drill, at one point Aaron Rodgers made three passes in a row and four total. None of his backups hit the apparatus.
Most of the first half of practice was spent on special teams as the units get ready for the intrasquad scrimmage.
Matthews opened with the first team at ROLB but didn't last long with a hamstring.
On a team run drill, DeShawn Wynn laid a very powerful right shoulder into Rouse's chest.
Of all the cornerbacks, Will Blackmon appears to be having the most trouble adjusting to playing off receivers. He got turned around during a few one-on-ones.
One thing you never saw in Bob Sanders defense that you do now: cornerbacks having to fend for themselves in the deep part of the field. Since the safeties have to cover for the linebackers during blitzes, a common sight in camp thus far is a cornerback with no help around him. Tramon Williams had that happen to him during team run when James Jones and Rodgers hooked up on a long pass.
Kregg Lumpkin played effectively with a wrap around his right quad.
Chad Clifton limped off at one point after being kicked in the right knee. He did return.
TE Jermichael Finley had another very strong practice. He might have been the player of the day. He looks effortless cutting across the field and making catches. He has such a big frame that its hard for defenders to get around him.
This may sound familiar, but the next big play A.J. Hawk makes in practice will be the first. While Desmond Bishop is constantly shooting gaps and trying to make plays, Hawk is still reading and reacting. He is seldom around the ball. He takes on blockers, but is easily turned around. Its a repeat of last season when he was playing Mike after Barnett went down. But the coaches are still high on him.
Both Brohm and Flynn had a couple of easy overthrows each.
The running backs were outstanding during this practice at blitz pickup. The quarterbacks were hardly touched.
Bigby had an interception of Rodgers that deflected off Finleys hands.
Crosby made 8 of 9 field goals in the practice. He was wide right from 48. Made one from 53. It might be significant that Durant Brooks held on four of the kicks and looked very adept at it. Both Jon Ryan and Derrick Frost held when they were with the Packers.

Cheesey
14 years ago
Geez....dropping like flies already.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
olb is a very physical position and i can understand that. this doesn't seem that bad of an injury report other than that position, but the tight end injury is very sad to hear about. i wonder what status the thompson and matthews will be under for the scrimmage on saturday.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
go.pack.go.
14 years ago
Damn........are people just not stretching well enough before practice or what?
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

This may sound familiar, but the next big play A.J. Hawk makes in practice will be the first. While Desmond Bishop is constantly shooting gaps and trying to make plays, Hawk is still reading and reacting. He is seldom around the ball. He takes on blockers, but is easily turned around. Its a repeat of last season when he was playing Mike after Barnett went down. But the coaches are still high on him.

Good to see that nothing has changed since last season when people defended him in the scheme.. something happened to Hawk between the college game and the pros.. in college he attacked and flourished.. here he plays on his heels and reacts..

Out of all the positive news about the defense, this is extremely disappointing to hear. I might have to apologize to Winston Moss.. maybe Hawk is just an average backer..

TE Jermichael Finley had another very strong practice. He might have been the player of the day. He looks effortless cutting across the field and making catches. He has such a big frame that its hard for defenders to get around him.

That is excellent.. can you image the options a tight end with his skill set and size would give Mike McCarthy in offensive playcalling.. the defense would have to commit to either doubling him, or putting a backer or safety on him.. if he keeps this up into the season.. this is going to give DC's fits.

BTW... Wynn might have matured this year eh... awesome.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
bozz_2006
14 years ago
Glad Finley is coming along. I figured it would take until next year.

AJ... AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ. What are we gonna do with you?!?!

And Matthews with the sore hamstring! Don't these dudes stretch? How the hell are there so many hamstring injuries? I don't think I even know someone who's had a hamstring pull.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Good to see that nothing has changed since last season when people defended him in the scheme.. something happened to Hawk between the college game and the pros.. in college he attacked and flourished.. here he plays on his heels and reacts..

Out of all the positive news about the defense, this is extremely disappointing to hear. I might have to apologize to Winston Moss.. maybe Hawk is just an average backer..

That is excellent.. can you image the options a tight end with his skill set and size would give Mike McCarthy in offensive playcalling.. the defense would have to commit to either doubling him, or putting a backer or safety on him.. if he keeps this up into the season.. this is going to give DC's fits.

BTW... Wynn might have matured this year eh... awesome.

You know, when I went to publish this article last evening, I thought of Z.

Normally when I quote something like this, I will "edit" the article in the sense that I will separate sentences in order to make it more readable. This article contained a lot of information worth note, but the reason I didn't separate it...

I was curious to see if Z would catch the A.J. critique.

Now why did I think even for a moment that he would not? Hell, next time I'm translating it into Cryllic just to plumb the depths of his bird-dog capabilities. :thumbleft:

On a more serious note, we have quite a bit riding on A.J. being that improved player, and this is extremely rotten news.

I do get an additional "I told you so", at least for the moment, as regards DeShawn Wynn.

References available upon request.
DakotaT
14 years ago
AJ has been a hell of a lot more productive than say Mandarich or Buckley. Let's try not to crucify the kid.

The only time a top 5 draft pick should be used on a linebacker is if his name is Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas.

That was a weak draft!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

AJ has been a hell of a lot more productive than say Mandarich or Buckley. Let's try not to crucify the kid.

The only time a top 5 draft pick should be used on a linebacker is if his name is Lawrence Taylor or Derrick Thomas.

That was a weak draft!

"DakotaT" wrote:

I haven't erected the cross... but my expectations for a number 5 pick and AJ are two different things.

I have never came out and stated I think he is anything less than an average NFL linebacker.. and probably will never utter anything such... but it doesn't mean I am not extremely disappoint to hear that he isn't playing balls out football in camp.

Maybe.. just maybe that game is too fast for him to handle at this level. Something has changed in the kid.. a confident aggressive backer in college that seemed a step ahead to one that seemed to be a step or two behind here.

Bust no. Lived up to expectation.. no as well.

BTW Foster.. I was hoping to sneak over to camp sometime this year to really watch this group, with eyes on three in particular.. Bishop, Hawk and Lansanah.

Don't know if I will make it over there... but if I do.. maybe I'll smart off to Hawk, get my ass handed to me, but hopefully piss the guy off. :lol: J/K

I can see the headlines now.. Hawk barely beats one legged man in ass kicking contest.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

That was a weak draft!

"DakotaT" wrote:

This is true... utter disappointment though.. thought maybe he would come alive this summer.

Wonder if he needs more oxygen in that camber.. lol.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (13h) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (19h) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.