dfosterf
14 years ago
Williams Wall makes it to week 1 

September 8, 2009 5:04 PM

Posted by ESPN.coms Kevin Seifert

You might have heard by now that the Williams Wall will stand Sunday in Cleveland. Although there has been no movement on the legal side of things, the NFL has decided not to enforce this week the four-game suspensions of Minnesota defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams. That will remain the case even if, sometime over the next three days, the U.S. Court of Appeals disallows the players bid to move their lawsuit to Minnesota state court.

Im sure there are a number of reasons for this approach, including the unpredictable timing of the courts decision -- which is expected this week but not guaranteed. In addition, NFL players typically are paid their game check if theyre on active NFL roster by the end of business Tuesday. But NFL suspensions are unpaid, which is why we almost always know at the beginning of a practice week if a suspension is about to be enforced.

So heres an educated guess: If and when a ruling comes down that paves the way for the NFL to suspend both players, the league will enforce the penalties on the closest Tuesday in the future. That means the first game the players could possibly miss is the Vikings Sept. 20 game at Detroit.

It wont necessarily come to that, however. If the players are on the losing end of the appeals court ruling, they could take the case higher in the legal system and ultimately to the U.S. Supreme Court. All that would do is further complicate and delay, which I understand is the favored strategy of any attorney on hourly fees.

But lets take it one week at a time. This week, nothing will change.
NFC North, Williams Wall, Minnesota Vikings, Kevin Williams, Pat Williams

Pack93z
14 years ago
Add this to the complications of the next CBA.. how can you have a global drug policy with suspensions if you are going to respect individual state laws on the enforcement of said ruling.

Interesting to see the ripples of this through the sporting world.

Vikings win, Saints lose StarCaps appeal
Posted by Mike Florio on September 11, 2009 11:22 AM ET
A ruling was expected before the start of the 2009 football season. As to the teams involved, the expectations were accurate.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit has affirmed in all respects the decision of District Judge Paul Magnuson in the so-called StarCaps case. (Thanks to Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer press for pointing out to us that the decision has been posted on the Eighth Circuit's web site.)

The short answer to the obvious question of "What the hell does that mean?" is that Vikings defensive tackles Pat and Kevin Williams will not be suspended four games after testing positive in 2008 for a prescription diuretic that also is a banned substance, and that Saints defensive ends Charles Grant and Will Smith will be suspended for testing positive for the same substance, which secretly had been added to an over-the-counter weight-loss supplement known as StarCaps.

Both Grant and Smith will play this week against the Lions, since the decision came after Tuesday. The suspensions, barring something incredibly unforeseen, will start next week.

There has been talk that the league might allow the Saints to implement the suspensions consecutively, so that they aren't without both players for four games. Instead, they'd be missing one of them for eight games.

If Grant and Smith serve their suspensions concurrently, the delay will mean that, instead of missing the Lions game in Week One and being available to play against the Giants, the players will be on the field against Detroit but not able when the Giants come to town.

Also, they'd be suspended for the bye week, which lands a week before the Giants game.

"PFTalk" wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
Here is the actual ruling link. .
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
I feel good for the Vikings fans, but that is some serious inequity...

If I were the commish in this instance, I think I would just drop the suspensions of the Aints players.

So much for a CBA.
Pack93z
14 years ago
So they take a deep dig into the revenue shared money and have blown a gigantic hole in the drug policy.. I bet the Vikings aren't getting a Christmas card from the league office anytime soon. :lol: (j/k)
dfosterf
14 years ago
I'm just gonna go ahead and tack this onto the reasons to hate the Vikings list.

Runnin' outta ink and paper, though...lol
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Well, look on the bright side - now Vikings fans don't have the excuse that the Williams wall was out when we beat them.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago
I really care less if they are playing or not.. I think once the State courts declare them not guilty, it will be added issues to the CBA and drug policies through the leagues.

Biggest concern will it alter where guys want to play because of state variances in how the labor contracts are read?
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Well, look on the bright side - now Vikings fans don't have the excuse that the Williams wall was out when we beat them.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

No, now they'll just come up with a new one.

This is a horrible decision, if you ask me. First of all, I still don't think that any kind of court has anything to do with this. I haven't gone as deep into this issue as Foster etc. but to me it makes actually no sense that two players are bannable and two others aren't, while taking the exact same (illegal!) substance.
DakotaT
14 years ago

So they take a deep dig into the revenue shared money and have blown a gigantic hole in the drug policy.. I bet the Vikings aren't getting a Christmas card from the league office anytime soon. :lol: (j/k)

"pack93z" wrote:

Or any hail mary pass interfence calls ever again. Maybe they'll actually make Mckinnie line up on the line of scrimmage.

What kind of left winged bullshit legal system do they have in that state anyway? They actually tried suing North Dakota a few years ago because we don't allow any of their poaching asses in for the first weekend of pheasant season.

Formo and VR, you're lucky I'm a Christian or I'd really tell you what I think. :icon_smile: Good luck chasing the Pack this year.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (2h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (5h) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
23m / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.