DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Brandon Chiller just put Barnett on the bench. I don't even want to see samurai boy out there. And Hawk played very well.

On the outside, I think Poppinga just lost his starting job because I saw some really good play out of Matthews tonight.

The whole front seven did a good job because Forte usually has many more 5+ yard gains. Thank you Dom for bringing a defense back to Green Bay.
UserPostedImage
Kingdom22
14 years ago
I think you are speaking too soon about people losing their jobs after the first game. Poppinga is still a great defender but Clay Mathews is hitter and I will give him that. He can stop run plays very well as he did at USC. Barnett is not himself just yet as I have said on other threads, he will not be benched again. I would pick Barnett over Chillar anytime. In the end its a team effort and we Won Tonight.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
Two things:

1) Mathews was scouted as the best pass-rusher in this draft at LB. He has a good motor, and has the ability to play with the big boys. Still, needs to show he can stay healthy - I fully expect him to start before the season is done.

2) I think it was someone over at Packersnews.com that pointed out Mike McCarthy was playing Barnett for two series, then sitting him out for two series. Good way of using the depth IMO. That said, get Desmond Bishop in there! The dude has earned playing time for goodness sakes - find a way to get him on the field in some packages.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
RashaanSalaami
14 years ago
The defense will stay very close to what it was tonight, with maybe Barnett seeing some more time when he gets healthy. If DL depth is our weakness on defense, LB depth is our strength. I never would have imagined this being a position of strength when we made the conversion, but it's crazy. I think the pressure of our DL will also mask some of the deficiencies of our LBs, but we shall see as the season wears on. Right now I'm excited for Chillar and Hawk because today was near the best they've played in their career.

As long as our DL continues to get pressure, we should see Poppinga on the field more being that his strength is against the run which we really need. He's also one of the most intense players on the team. Just watch his interview on Packers.com a couple days ago. It's hard to keep players with his intensity off the field.
blank
RashaanSalaami
14 years ago

Two things:

1) Mathews was scouted as the best pass-rusher in this draft at LB. He has a good motor, and has the ability to play with the big boys. Still, needs to show he can stay healthy - I fully expect him to start before the season is done.

2) I think it was someone over at Packersnews.com that pointed out Mike McCarthy was playing Barnett for two series, then sitting him out for two series. Good way of using the depth IMO. That said, get Desmond Bishop in there! The dude has earned playing time for goodness sakes - find a way to get him on the field in some packages.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

The Bears are a running team although we didn't see a lot of that today. That said, I'm surprised we didn't see more time gameplanned for Bishop because of his run-stuffing abilities. I think that's also because our LBs played out of their minds today and because those are the guys who seem less a liability in coverage. With their top receiver at TE, maybe we didn't want Bishop in the game too much today...and as you all noticed, we shut him down today.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

The Bears are a running team although we didn't see a lot of that today. That said, I'm surprised we didn't see more time gameplanned for Bishop because of his run-stuffing abilities.

"chrisbozzonerocks" wrote:

What really surprises me is that Bishop said he has basically been relegated to ST work in practice - getting no reps in the 3-4 base.

That is surprising - but my goodness the LBs were awesome today.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
RashaanSalaami
14 years ago

The Bears are a running team although we didn't see a lot of that today. That said, I'm surprised we didn't see more time gameplanned for Bishop because of his run-stuffing abilities.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

What really surprises me is that Bishop said he has basically been relegated to ST work in practice - getting no reps in the 3-4 base.

That is surprising - but my goodness the LBs were awesome today.

"chrisbozzonerocks" wrote:

As long as our LB's continue to play at this level, I'll be okay with Bishop seeing only ST reps. If they being to falter, we better see more of him.
blank
gbguy20
14 years ago
very impressed by the play of the front seven all around
beast
14 years ago
I still say Bishop is back-up and that because Hawk and Chillar are better on the field and maybe Barnett will be too.

Seriously when they all get healthy I want to move one of them to OLB....

I mean come on.... if Bishop can't get time at ILB let him learn and play both ILB and OLB. Why not?

That or move Chillar or Barnett to OLB and let Bishop fill there role because I don't think Bishop would fit better at ILB than he would at OLB.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
I think Bishop would be good on the outside. We've just got so much talent at the position. Great problem to have.
I'd start Chillar over Barnett.
Mathews will start over Poppinga as soon as he gets up to speed with the pro game. He will only get better. So will Thompson.
And Raji will be back too.
How's Bigby? Any word on him?
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
beast (7m) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8m) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.