cheeseheads123
14 years ago
I found this interesting since its a different way to look at it.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090923/PKR01/90923177&s=d&page=23#pluckcomments 

From a quarterback who has taken a beating the first two weeks of the season, it might come as a surprise to hear what Aaron Rodgers sees as the solution to the Green Bay Packers woes in the passing game.
Advertisement

With a couple of days to think about what went wrong in Sundays 31-24 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals -- a game in which Rodgers was sacked six times and hit 10 times despite a game plan that relied heavily on six- and seven-man protections -- Rodgers on Wednesday said the best thing might be for coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin to let the front five on the offensive line fend for themselves.

Sign up for news, weather, Green Bay Packers and high school sports text alerts.

I think one of the things that happened last week was because of struggles (in protection) in Week 1, weve kept more guys in (to block), Rodgers said. Our backs were staying in a little bit longer, and so our stuff was all down the field because we didnt have any of our check downs out.

"The push, hopefully, this is week is, Hey you guys got to hold up up front. We need more options underneath the coverage. When theyre dropping off so far, you need some check downs.

It might seem counterintuitive that the guy whos been getting killed 10 sacks and 19 hits in two games wants less protection, but the logic is that by keeping in running backs and tight ends less often, Rodgers will have more options to get the ball out quicker if hes facing pressure. Against the Bengals, many of his throws were deep because there were so few short options.

Rodgers theory might not be so far-fetched. McCarthy and Philbin have admitted in the days following the Bengals game that they may have given the line too much help.

Rodgers expressed confidence in a line that will be without its most experienced player. Left tackle Chad Clifton will miss at least the next two games because of an ankle injury he sustained against Cincinnati. The next two games, at St. Louis and at Minnesota, are in domes, where noise makes it tough on offensive linemen.

I think were going to figure it out this week and move forward and be a better protection unit as a whole, Rodgers said.

Through two games, Rodgers has completed just 56.7 percent of his passes. In his first season as a starter last year, he completed 63.6 percent, which was fourth best in the NFC and helped the Packers rank eighth in passing yards per game and 10th in passing average. Through two games this season, the Packers stand 25th in both passing categories.

Nine drops in two games havent helped. Neither has that Rodgers admittedly missed a couple of throws that might have been big plays. There are two that stand out in his mind. The first was a deep post to Donald Driver against the Bears.

Its a throw I feel I make nine times out of 10, Rodgers said.

The other was a deep route by Greg Jennings in the fourth quarter against the Bengals, a pass Rodgers badly underthrew.

That was pretty embarrassing; it slipped out of my hands and fluttered, Rodgers said.

I need to throw at a higher percentage, Rodgers added. That will get us in some better situations and move the chains.

UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I agree with Rodgers, and it makes sense.

Rodgers had what, 2 WRs downfield. Maybe 3 at most. That left, apart from himself, another 7 or 8 players behind the LOS. When there's 6 or so pass rushers getting through, that leaves around 2 defensive backs per WR. Whenever the checkdown was available Rodgers was taking it because the WRs were covered so much.

Was he holding the ball too long or was throwing into double coverage so far downfield the only option apart from buying time?
blank
Upshall18
14 years ago
I kind of agree with Rodgers on this one, I remember in preseason when we'd hit the underneath stuff and check downs which really opened up the bigger plays for us.

I'm hoping this works and Rodgers doesn't get sacked 4+ times again
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I suppose since I harped on needing a safety valve in another thread over and over, it doesn't pay to say I agree with Rodgers that he needs some underneath help. lol
UserPostedImage
xavierlee9
14 years ago
It's his team, his bruises..Let's roll with it.
UserPostedImage
shield4life
14 years ago
I mean I'd have to agree with Rodgers ... if we're trying to block and have less weapons on field then we're more vulnerable to blitz's (The bad part is we can't stop them). At least if we can get more WR's or TE formations which are lined to catch a pass instead of block it gives the opportunity for Rodgers to make the play. Teams will diminish the blitzs and also even if they do blitz there will be open players.
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Best way to stop a blitz?

Dump off passes.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

Best way to stop a blitz?

Dump off passes.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I was sort of expecting some draws, and screens.... those might have worked as well
Rios39
14 years ago
I think we need to go back to what made us successful in 2007. Spread out the field and fire it around. If the line isn't performing, help them out by hitting James Jones, Finley, Neslon underneath. If Rodgers gets enough time he can hit some bombs down the field. I still think we should have a run game, and I'd like to set up shotgun a lot...But I'd also like some single formations where the TE's can break off the line for an option.

There was a few times where the Bengals blitzed and the blitz got picked up and I was angry that Rodgers didn't deliver the ball out. We can exploit a blitzing team with our WR depth. Getting a run game as well can help ur playaction, and that's where we can take our shots.

That's how we rolled in 07. I think things slightly changed last year, but I think we need to go back to what made us successful. BUT Aaron HAS to get the ball out quickly with 5 man protections.
blank
PackerBuddha
14 years ago
It would explain why he was holding on to the ball so long...I agree let the backs and TEs go out give him dump offs when nothing is down field.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.