zombieslayer
14 years ago

I hate the elitists that have a college degree and how they look down upon those of us that don't. Like those of us that don't can't ever be as intelligent as they are because we don't have a piece of paper that said we completed a certain degree of educational requirements.

Also, I hate the phrase, "Knowledge is Power" It's false, and gives fuel to said elitists. No, knowledge is just simply the acquisition of information. That's it. Congratulations, you can now probably beat me in a game of Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy. The correct version of the phrase is, "The Correct Application of Knowledge is Power"

"Formo" wrote:

For the record, the smartest person I know in person never got his college degree. He's smarter than me in every way, except has anxiety issues which keep him from having a life.

College helps. It opens doors. That, you have to admit.

However on the flip side, there are 2 things that are very bad about college:
1) that elitist mentality that you describe. Oh yeah. I know this first hand. I have family members who look down on people without degrees. That's just LAME.
2) Then there are those who think you have to take a freaking class to do ANYTHING. No, you don't need a class to know how to fix cars. No, you don't need to take a class to learn how to sing. No, you don't need to take a class to know how to be an artist. All 3 examples, I think you're better off teaching yourself. Heck, my very first software boss never graduated high school. That's right, never even finished high school. Was a multi-millionaire and retired by his mid-20s. Went back to work out of boredom. True story.

That all said, college does help. Like I said, it opens doors.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
14 years ago

I hate the elitists that have a college degree and how they look down upon those of us that don't. Like those of us that don't can't ever be as intelligent as they are because we don't have a piece of paper that said we completed a certain degree of educational requirements.

Also, I hate the phrase, "Knowledge is Power" It's false, and gives fuel to said elitists. No, knowledge is just simply the acquisition of information. That's it. Congratulations, you can now probably beat me in a game of Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy. The correct version of the phrase is, "The Correct Application of Knowledge is Power"

"zombieslayer" wrote:

For the record, the smartest person I know in person never got his college degree. He's smarter than me in every way, except has anxiety issues which keep him from having a life.

College helps. It opens doors. That, you have to admit.

However on the flip side, there are 2 things that are very bad about college:
1) that elitist mentality that you describe. Oh yeah. I know this first hand. I have family members who look down on people without degrees. That's just LAME.
2) Then there are those who think you have to take a freaking class to do ANYTHING. No, you don't need a class to know how to fix cars. No, you don't need to take a class to learn how to sing. No, you don't need to take a class to know how to be an artist. All 3 examples, I think you're better off teaching yourself. Heck, my very first software boss never graduated high school. That's right, never even finished high school. Was a multi-millionaire and retired by his mid-20s. Went back to work out of boredom. True story.

That all said, college does help. Like I said, it opens doors.

"Formo" wrote:

You bring up a good point.

I hope my post didn't come across as anti-college. That was unintentional. I will refuse to go to a surgeon that didn't go to college. Sorry, just don't trust ya, bud! lol

I, too, have elitist family members, and it burns me up to see how they look at and treat me. For instance, I got into an argument with my aunt. She's an awesome, strong as nails lady. She's a single mother of 5, worked as a waitress and went to nursing school, got her nursing degree, and is now working as a nurse, going to school for a higher nursing degree (I don't know the technical terms, forgive me). I got into an argument with her about vitamin intakes. To make a long story short, she based her side on her opinion, and I based my argument on research and study. She pulled the, 'you are arguing with someone who has a degree in biology, blah blah blah..' I got REALLY heated and said, 'So someone without said degree is incapable of making studies and do research on vitamin intake?' She ended up dropping the argument for the sake of knowing it wasn't going anywhere.

That's just one example, and I have tons of them.

If anyone here has a college degree, congrats. That's something I could never do, and I commend you on your work. But that doesn't mean you are any smarter than those of us who don't have one.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago
College is GREAT. IF a person applies themselves. I went to college later in life, and did great. Why? Because i took it seriously. I saw MANY kids that were acting like it was just a big party, and did not give it their all.
If you go, make sure you are mature enough to handle it, or you are just wasting time and money.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

You bring up a good point.

I hope my post didn't come across as anti-college. That was unintentional. I will refuse to go to a surgeon that didn't go to college. Sorry, just don't trust ya, bud! lol

I, too, have elitist family members, and it burns me up to see how they look at and treat me. For instance, I got into an argument with my aunt. She's an awesome, strong as nails lady. She's a single mother of 5, worked as a waitress and went to nursing school, got her nursing degree, and is now working as a nurse, going to school for a higher nursing degree (I don't know the technical terms, forgive me). I got into an argument with her about vitamin intakes. To make a long story short, she based her side on her opinion, and I based my argument on research and study. She pulled the, 'you are arguing with someone who has a degree in biology, blah blah blah..' I got REALLY heated and said, 'So someone without said degree is incapable of making studies and do research on vitamin intake?' She ended up dropping the argument for the sake of knowing it wasn't going anywhere.

That's just one example, and I have tons of them.

If anyone here has a college degree, congrats. That's something I could never do, and I commend you on your work. But that doesn't mean you are any smarter than those of us who don't have one.

"Formo" wrote:

Formo - LOL. This reminds me of the movie Back to School. Ever seen it? If not, Rodney Dangerfield is a multi-millionaire who from scratch, opened up store after store selling clothes for tall and fat people. In the movie, it was simply called "Tall and Fat."

He's not only highly successful, but with a driven and funny personality to a degree that he's sexy (it's a movie, play along) and everyone loves him. Except for one person - a snobby college economics professor.

Anyways, one of the economic professor's lectures, the professor is telling the class how to run a successful business. Dangerfield keeps interrupting and telling it how it really is, because HE'S DONE IT. The professor has only studied it. Needless to say, all the other students in the class were taking notes from Dangerfield instead of the professor.

Doing something > studying something. Every time, every day of the week.

By the way, I got 6 years of college, 4 to get my Bachelors, and 2 in Grad School for Computer Science. I understand the value of college.

I also understand the value of learning something on the side. I guarantee you that I'm a better musician than 90% of the kids coming out of college with Music degrees. I taught myself by simply stealing riffs, licks, and runs from everyone I liked and also taught myself how to read notes.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Formo
14 years ago

College is GREAT. IF a person applies themselves. I went to college later in life, and did great. Why? Because i took it seriously. I saw MANY kids that were acting like it was just a big party, and did not give it their all.
If you go, make sure you are mature enough to handle it, or you are just wasting time and money.

"Cheesey" wrote:

Or do what I did..

Go to college on the weekends. You don't have to pay tuition, or have to worry about grades.. Just party hardy! You'll be looked up upon as a genius by the students, and you get the chikas because you have a real job and are rich when compared to the students.

Hey, if I didn't do that, I would have never met my wife. 😃
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!