MontanaBob
14 years ago
Ok people, I'm counting on you to help me win a bet. Both my opponent, neighbor Luke, a big time Bears fan, and I agreed not to look this up on the internet until after I get an answer. (He doesn't know I cheat like hell when a bottle of Gentleman Jack is on the line.) ::evil:

In that famous Packer-Bears game on Nov. 5, 1989, Majkowski fired a TD pass to Sterling Sharpe with little time remaining. The refs waived off the TD at first, then instant replay gave the TD back to the Packers.

I'm saying that at that time the rule for a passer crossing the line of scrimmage was based on the feet of the thrower. Behind the line of scrimmage....OK. Across the line.......oops!!! I'm also saying that after this, the rule was changed to the position of the throwing hand in regards to the line of scrimmage.

Luke maintains the opposite was in force at the time.

Am I right or am I right???? If you want to be left in my will and look forward to an inheritance of squirrel skins and buffalo chips, you will say I am right on the money.

Ok, I'm being honest and have not looked anything up about this. Bears fans........whatta dey know!
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Cheesey
14 years ago
I'm pretty sure it was feet. Thats what i remember.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I haven't looked on the net, but if memory serves correct that was the ruling/interpretation of the rule at the time.

Additionally, I think Ditka filed a formal complaint with the league, and giving a quote to the nature of, "What the hell good is instant replay if the rule itself is Horseshit".. Something along that nature.

One of my favorite Packer moments.. I thought Ditka was going to keel over right then and there.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
The ball and his planted foot were both behind the line of scrimmage. His left foot was just shy of the 15 yard line and the line of scrimmage was the 14.

Also found a video that shows it.

[youtube]ZpIiJ8i5uS0[/youtube]
UserPostedImage
MontanaBob
14 years ago
So everyone so far is saying I WIN!!!!! Ha!
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I'm not sure, but I don't think there was instant replay that year. Thus the uproar by all Bears fans. I have been told(never seen myself)that there is an asterick by that game to this day in The Bears official stat book, most of them still say they won that game.

Again, I could be completely wrong about replay, but the rule I believe stated at that time it was where the players feet were.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Pack93z
14 years ago

I'm not sure, but I don't think there was instant replay that year. Thus the uproar by all Bears fans. I have been told(never seen myself)that there is an asterick by that game to this day in The Bears official stat book, most of them still say they won that game.

Again, I could be completely wrong about replay, but the rule I believe stated at that time it was where the players feet were.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I am almost 100% positive that it was under replay.. remember replay came in for a year or two.. then removed and brought back again after wards.

Damn.. now I have to go back and look it up..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
What? C'mon folks! It was called "The Instant Replay Game" lol

Watch the video I posted, 3 minute mark and on.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Majkowski 

The key was a touchdown play first nullified by an illegal forward pass by Majkowski; then upheld by instant replay as a legal pass.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/57784427.html 

Btw.. note the last sentence to the original post.

It ranks as one of the most memorable games ever played at Lambeau Field.

It wasn't the first game ever played at the stadium, like the 1957 opener against Chicago. It wasn't an NFL Championship Game, like the legendary Ice Bowl. It didn't feature any unusual weather, like the infamous Snow Bowl contest against Tampa Bay in 1985.

When the Green Bay Packers met the Chicago Bears on Nov. 5, 1989, the Packers were 4-4 and facing the five-time defending NFC Central Division champions. The game would become a defining point in the season for a young Packers team in its second year under head coach Lindy Infante.

And it would go down as one of the most exciting finishes in the long and storied Green Bay-Chicago rivalry and a rule-changer in the National Football League. The contest acquired the nickname of the "Instant Replay Game," and attained legendary status in the team's 90-year history.

"It's one of the all-time great finishes at Lambeau Field," said Lee Remmel, former Packers' director of public relations and team historian. "It doesn't get much more dramatic than that. It was a unique game in the history of the Packers-Bears rivalry."

It's been nearly 20 years since quarterback Don Majkowski scrambled out of the pocket on the game's final play and hit receiver Sterling Sharpe with a 14-yard pass in the end zone with less than 40 seconds remaining to tie the score at 13.

But the linesman threw a flag, thinking Majkowski was across the line of scrimmage when he released the pass. Touchdown negated. Infante challenged the call, and after a delay of more than four minutes, the replay official reversed it.

Then came the official announcement by referee Tom Dooley and the famous words: "After further review, we have a reversal . . . touchdown!"

Euphoria ensued at Lambeau Field, and the majority of 56,556 fans went home happy with an improbable victory. Chicago head coach Mike Ditka was not one of them, though the passage of two decades has softened the sting of the outcome.

"It was a bad call - period," Ditka said recently. "Remember one thing: Instant replay was put in to get the call right. I don't care how long it takes but get the call right. Of course it was controversial, and we were very disappointed at the time. It was agonizing for both teams to wait while they reviewed it.

"But human beings make mistakes, and the call went Green Bay's way. It is what it is. You win some, you lose some. It was just one game in a long series between the Bears and the Packers. A series based on competition, which got out of hand for a couple of years. I was proud to be a part of those competitions and that rivalry."

Majkowski never tires of discussing that contest.

"It really seems like it was just five years or so ago," Majkowski said in a phone interview. "Time flies. It's one of my most memorable games, and when I get back to Green Bay or Chicago, it's always brought up. Fans still love to talk about that game."

It's understandable why Majkowski enjoys reliving it. He went from goat to hero in a span of 10 minutes in the fourth quarter.

What most fans remember is the game-winning series, not the two previous trips inside the Chicago red zone when he fumbled and threw an interception.

"Lindy grabbed me by the facemask on the sideline and said, 'You'll be the hero of this game. Keep your head up.' And he was right. I was fortunate to get a second chance."

That opportunity came after a Chicago punt and Green Bay took possession at its own 27-yard-line with 4:44 left on the game clock.

Relying primarily on the pass in the second half after an injury to fullback Brent Fullwood, Majkowski drove the Packers methodically down the field.

With first and 10 at the Chicago 7 and 1:26 left, the Bears defense stiffened and sacked Majkowski for a seven-yard loss after two incomplete passes. A fourth-and-goal play loomed for the Green Bay offense from the 14-yard-line with 41 seconds remaining.

The final play call was intended for a man-to-man defense, but the Bears dropped back into zone coverage that required Majkowski to do what he did best: improvise.

"It was supposed to be a 6-yard yard slant to Sterling," Majkowski said. "We were hoping Sterling could break it open. . . . Chicago went zone, so it was a totally broken play."

Majkowski rolled right on the play and bought time as he scanned the end zone for an open receiver. He stepped up toward the line of scrimmage and released a pass across his body to Sharpe, who had run across the end zone before finding a hole in the zone defense.

"We called it the scramble drill and practiced it," Majkowski said. "I was able to evade the rush and get outside. I almost threw the ball earlier but recoiled and pulled it back. I was trying to buy some time and waiting for Sterling to find a hole."

The Lambeau Field crowd exploded in cheers at the apparent touchdown.

But a yellow flag was thrown by line judge Jim Quirk, who determined Majkowski had released the pass past the line of scrimmage. The newly implemented instant replay system was used to review the play.

Majkowski said the review did not test his patience; but the Packers quarterback did have some company while he waited for the verdict.

"Mike Singletary walked up to me and whispered, 'Sorry, kid. Too bad it won't count,' " Majkowski said.

"He was a great player. He stared at me with those intense eyes during games for six years, and I stared right back. When the call was made, I didn't trash talk or anything like that. I just winked at him."

Majkowski also had some brief words for an official.

"I told him it would be a shame to take that touchdown away," Majkowski said. "Because I knew I was a yard behind the line when I let it go."

Infante, who lives in the Jacksonville, Fla., area, said he has been interviewed numerous times about the play.

"That was an exciting finish," Infante said. "I have often said it's not often when you play a game and celebrate a victory twice. We went through the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat, and then the thrill of victory again."

Majkowski doesn't think it was that close a call.

"You can see I was clearly behind the line," he said. "The television announcer, Dan Fouts, said the line of scrimmage was the 14 and I released it a yard behind. Thankfully, they reviewed it."

The memorable 14-13 victory over the Bears was the catalyst for a 6-2 second half of the season. Green Bay finished with a 10-6 record and tied for first place in the NFC Central with Minnesota. The two teams split in regular-season play, and the Vikings won the tiebreaker and advanced to the NFC playoffs.

For Majkowski, the victory over Chicago was especially satisfying.

"The most significant part was beating the Bears for the first time in eight games," he said. "To beat them in dramatic fashion like that was great. It was my first time beating Chicago."

Majkowski, who lives in Alpharetta, Ga., will not be at Lambeau Field Sunday for the 2009 opener against Chicago.

Infante still remembers priority No. 1 when he arrived in Green Bay as head coach in 1988.

"When I got off the airplane in Green Bay, the first thing I was told was you have to beat the Chicago Bears," he said. "I found out very quickly how much fans valued that rivalry. On thing I'll always remember is that we beat them twice that season."

The Chicago organization was so upset about the game that for 10 years it had an asterisk next to the score in the team's media guide, noting it as the "instant replay game."

Editor's note: After much debate spearheaded by Bears executives, the NFL changed the rule on passes thrown beyond the line of scrimmage. What matters is where the player's body is, not the ball, when the pass is released.

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (5h) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (8h) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (11h) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (13h) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (14h) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.