DGB454
14 years ago
Too many dropped balls killed many drives. What the hell is wrong with our receivers?
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Too many dropped balls killed many drives. What the hell is wrong with our receivers?

"DGB454" wrote:

Over confidence. Pissed about Finley being a focal point in the game plan.

:shrug:
UserPostedImage
Yared-Yam
14 years ago
Who in their sane mind would say Bush has ever played a "solid" game. It has never happened, nor will it ever happen. It is impossible. They are anathema to one another.
#7 Ingle Martin Supporter
The voice of REASON
Silentio
14 years ago

This stinks and we certainly could have played better, but I feel somewhat validated that we took control at crucial moments. Didn't get the W, I know -- but our last few offensive drives were inspiring.

"evad04" wrote:

I honestly believe this was a positive game for the Packers. I think McCarthy went into the locker room after the game and said good job, well fought, and to remember the game as we head into the playoffs (where I do think we will be in a few weeks). I would rather have seen a win, obviously, but there were great moments in this game and I think that even after this loss the team now knows what it is capable of (save for poor Crosby).

Then you're probably reading too much into the five straight losses.

The Cowboys beat a team last night that had won 13 in a row. They must be the team to beat now.

"evad04' wrote:

+1
blank
evad04
14 years ago

Who in their sane mind would say Bush has ever played a "solid" game. It has never happened, nor will it ever happen. It is impossible. They are anathema to one another.

"Yared-Yam" wrote:

Bush gave up some big plays, I won't deny that. Moreover, Bush has been on my shit list for a LOOOONNNGGG time. That said, that first play where he was burned on the touchdown -- the entire defense bit on play action. Collins could have had a chance to help deep but he bit on a shorter route. Basically, the wide receiver has a near prohibitive advantage in that situation.

Later when Bush gave up another key completion (a long pass to Hines Ward) he AGAIN was by himself.

On the final play, Bell was on an island with Wallace.

Without seeing the whole field/knowing the defensive playcall/having instant replay I can't say that we were doing things "wrong" but I am left scratching my head.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
evad04
14 years ago

I honestly believe this was a positive game for the Packers. I think McCarthy went into the locker room after the game and said good job, well fought, and to remember the game as we head into the playoffs (where I do think we will be in a few weeks). I would rather have seen a win, obviously, but there were great moments in this game and I think that even after this loss the team now knows what it is capable of (save for poor Crosby).

"Silentio" wrote:

Yes. We lost a close game, and in the fashion that we did I'd be worried if our fanbase WASN'T reeling. But Pittsburgh isn't a bad team. Their five straight losses don't affect how I saw them going into this week. They're still a team that gets after the quarterback (39 sacks going into the game -- top 3 in the league in that category), they still have plenty of talent on offense (Big Ben, Ward, Holmes, Miller, Mendenhall/Parker), and their overall defense is still quite strong.

Oh -- and while every team tries to win every week, this was a MUST win game for Pittsburgh (even still, probably too little, too late) AND it was at Heinz Field.

I don't come away from this game "happy" -- but I am proud that we overcame a 10 point deficit in the final stanza and if not for a big play with time expiring we'd have come out of it 10-4.

The fact that we're 9-5 is only a greater motivator to get the win against Seattle. I'm still holdin' out on 11 wins for this team. Let's do it!
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
DGB454
14 years ago
I agree with you Evad. The final 2 are very winnable and we could finish 11-5.
Hopefully some of the mistakes we made will be addressed before the play offs . This game highlighted some of our short comings on defense (rookie corners with little help) and our problem catching the ball once again on offense. I won't even mention the penalties and Mason. (we already knew about those 2 problems) Those other things are fixable fairly quickly. Let's hope they work on them over the next few weeks.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'm feeling more rational now. I'm proud of Aaron Rodgers. I'm proud of Jermichael Finley. But to give up over 500 yards in passing . . . that boggles the imagination. Before this season, the most Roethlisberger had ever thrown in a season was 3500 yards -- and he threw for 1/7 of that today alone.
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago
He was, before this game, on pace to throw for give or take 4,000 yards and that's without playing in one game. Again, it's a matter of perspective some have with what type of QB Ben is, but I wasn't shocked at all to see him tear GB apart. Not to the extend he did obviously, but I think he's the second best QB the Packers have played this year.

It's worth nothing that Pittsburgh needed that type of game out of Ben to beat the Packers today. In that perspective, I don't think this is something that I'm worried about going forward. There are some good QBs in the NFC, but this type of performance was one of those once every few years type of games.

When you look at Aaron Rodgers, he played basically a typical game for him. He did a little of everything and that's encouraging as was the fact that McCarthy went for the TD in the fourth instead of the FG. I along with the others who mentioned it in this thread was worried they'd play if for the kick.

I also think Pittsburgh is a dangerous team these last two games. Yeah five losses, but GB has loss to Tampa and Oakland has beaten some pretty good teams this year. Minnesota just dropped one to Carolina. Pitt was in a funk and got out of it. Wouldn't be shocked to see them at 9-7 and maybe they get in the playoffs because I think Denver is finishing with nine wins as well as Baltimore. Not sure what the tiebreaker would look like there.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

It's worth nothing that Pittsburgh needed that type of game out of Ben to beat the Packers today.

"porky88" wrote:

Excellent point, sir. I hadn't thought about it that way. For a team to require over 500 yards in passing to pull out a victory -- and even that victory only happened because the kicker missed an easy field goal -- that should be encouraging.

Doesn't mean I agree with the prevent defense calls, though.
UserPostedImage