dfosterf
14 years ago
JSOnline- Bush up for the challenge 

Bush up for the challenge
DB says he's ready for Cards' elite receivers

By Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Dec. 31, 2009

Green Bay There's no getting around it.

When the Green Bay Packers play Arizona, be it Sunday and/or the Sunday after that, cornerback Jarrett Bush is going to have to cover one of the Cardinals' talented trio of wide receivers.

The Packers will probably do what they can to limit his match-ups against all-world receiver Larry Fitzgerald, but they can only do so much, and at some point Bush will have to hold up under the weight of playoff football. He'll get a dress rehearsal on Sunday when the teams meet in the regular-season finale.

He expects to be tested.

"Any challenge, I have to make them pay," Bush said Thursday, less than a week after getting his first NFL interception. "I'm pretty sure they're going to come after everybody. I'm pretty sure they feel strongly about all their receivers, Larry, Anquan (Boldin). So, everybody's going to be challenged.

"I wouldn't think it would be just young guys. This is the NFL, we all have to play to our ability and play like we know how."

It may be a little bit of wishful thinking to assume that quarterback Kurt Warner will attack Charles Woodson the same way he would Bush, but Bush is correct in thinking the Cardinals will take their receivers matched up against anyone in the NFL. They line up as though they don't care what the coverage will be, using Fitzgerald, Boldin, Steve Breaston and running back LaRod Stephens-Howling in multiple positions along the line of scrimmage.

But there is a method to coach Ken Whisenhunt's madness and it often has to do with finding the weakness in the opponent's secondary. If he wants to try to exploit Bush, he'll have all kinds of ways to do it.

"He'll try to scheme you and try to take advantage of the best match-up possible," said safeties coach Darren Perry, a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff when Whisenhunt was offensive coordinator there. "What he decides to do in terms of attacking us, we'll have to wait and see.

"But I know he'll try to find whatever our weaknesses may be. Whatever you see early, that's going to be his game plan. He'll stick with it. We got a little taste of that in the preseason."

The gusto with which Whisenhunt attacks the Packers will depend on whether the Cardinals are vying for the No. 2 seed in the playoffs. If Minnesota loses to the New York Giants in a noon game Sunday, the Cardinals won't be able to rest players or back off on their game plan because if they win, and the Dallas Cowboys beat the Philadelphia Eagles - a game that starts at the same time as the Packers-Cardinals - then Arizona gets the second seed and the first-round bye that comes with it.

The Packers aren't going to lie down in this game, but it's unlikely they'll use all the defenses they've practiced this week in preparation for the Cardinals. In some ways, the Packers will be feeling out the Cardinals to see how they react to some of their coverages, hoping to learn something that might help them if the two teams meet the following week.

"I wouldn't say this will be a training session," said Bush, who has extensive duties on special teams as well as his cornerback assignment. "We have to play to win. It's not a simulation. It's a real game. You can say we'll know them a lot better, but the reality is that we have to line up and play. It counts."

Bush has been the target of opposing quarterbacks since taking over the nickel position from Tramon Williams, who moved into a starting position when veteran Al Harris was lost for the season with a knee injury. Over the past five-plus games, he has allowed five pass plays of 20 or more yards, including three of 45 or more, and has allowed three touchdowns.

That's the most big plays any member of the defense has given up during that stretch, but not by a considerable amount. Williams has given up four plays of 20 or more yards, but just one touchdown. Woodson has given up 1 plays of 20 or more, but three touchdowns.

The thing that has made Bush's lapses so noticeable is that he has had decent coverage in some of those instances, but wasn't able to make a play on the ball. He has looked more like a special-teamer than someone with natural cornerback skills.

"I think it's natural but I think it's experience," Woodson said of playing the ball. "He's been asked to do a lot this year for us. I think the experience will make him a better player. I don't think you can tell anybody (how to do things) and they're automatically going to get better.

"They have to be in the fire a little bit. He's been thrown in the fire. But we expect him to play well for us down the stretch."

Against Seattle last Sunday, defensive coordinator Dom Capers took some pressure off Bush by frequently using him as the blitzing corner instead of Woodson. Bush blitzed five times to Woodson's zero, the idea being that Woodson and not Bush would be the one isolated in man coverage.

Two or three times, quarterback Matt Hasselbeck got rid of the ball on a three-step drop, well before Bush could get there. The other times, Bush wasn't able to beat a one-on-one block.

At 6-foot and 200 pounds, and with plenty of kamikaze special-teams skills, he has the potential to be a decent blitzer. But being effective requires using special techniques and Bush is learning on the job with that, too.

"It's just another challenge," Bush said.

A little editorializing in the title, but this is my personal "biggest" question.

It seems like folks were dying to address this when we were talking o-line, and that is very understandable.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
We cannot take a page from the Viking defensive plan if we want to beat Arizona. The best way to help Bush is to get after Warner. We need to be up on the line, get in the face of these WR and hope that the pressure can get to Warner before the WR can make a play.

I do not want to see another game where a QB that everybody knows can complete passes is sitting in the pocket for 7 seconds or more. I would rather lose being aggressive.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
The article does make a good point: Kurt Warner is not Big Ben.

You can get him down with a blitz, and his lack of mobility serves as a big advantage for us.

You know, our run D has been superb. That should give Capers the confidence that our front seven can stop the run. No need to bring in an 8th man in the box. I'd expect Capers to come in the first quarter make sure that the run is stopped. From then on, I expect him to unleash his 3-4 D full force to combat the Cards' passing game.

Make no mistake, Capers was brought in to make the defense successful in these situations.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I'd say if we hit the pressure hard, we don't have to worry about the depth of our secondary being sub-par.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
It will be very interesting to see what Dom does in the "first" game.

I suspect I (we?) will be semi-freaking out...

No pass rush?

Jesus H Chr#st on a stick we are gonna get our asses whipped next week, etc. kinds of statements...

I really like the thought of "sending" Bush vs. Woodson, but Woodson seems to get there, where I don't think Bush has shown he can---the statement about him needing to "learn" to get there, technique-wise---

A gazillion variables at play, what do we show, does he need to practice getting to Warner, do we do that, etc.
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Capers is a genius. We should have seen it coming: He's going to let Bush get beat all season long.

Come the wild card round, he'll unleash the real bush, like a demonspawn summoned through diabolical witchery, born from the raging fires within, set ablaze, to smite the cardinals from Arizona.

That, or he'll get burned for a couple of good plays both games.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
It's all about pressure. Remember the 2007 Giants and their much maligned defensive secondary? That group was able to beat the highest scoring team in NFL history in the Super Bowl because they didn't give Tom Brady enough time to beat their pedestrian group of defensive backs. When it counts, Dom will bring the heat.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago

Capers is a genius. We should have seen it coming: He's going to let Bush get beat all season long.

Come the wild card round, he'll unleash the real bush, like a demonspawn summoned through diabolical witchery, born from the raging fires within, set ablaze, to smite the cardinals from Arizona.

That, or he'll get burned for a couple of good plays both games.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

+1

If the earlier part of your post has any truth in it, Dom fooled the shit out of yours truly also.

:sign5:
Greg C.
14 years ago

It's all about pressure. Remember the 2007 Giants and their much maligned defensive secondary? That group was able to beat the highest scoring team in NFL history in the Super Bowl because they didn't give Tom Brady enough time to beat their pedestrian group of defensive backs. When it counts, Dom will bring the heat.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Very good point, and I hope you're right about Dom bringing the heat.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"TheEngineer" wrote:

In other words, he's going to put Bush in the rotation at nose tackle? 🙂
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

11h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.