Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Week 2 awards watch: Bears' Cutler off to fast start

By Bucky Brooks
NFL.com Analyst
Published: Sept. 20, 2010 at 01:43 a.m.

UserPostedImage
Tim Sharp / Associated Press
The union of Jay Cutler, pictured, with Mike Martz has worked beautifully so far for the Bears.

Lovie Smith spent most of the offseason urging his team to return to its Monster of the Midway roots, but the presence of Jay Cutler and the hiring of offensive coordinator Mike Martz made it difficult to envision the Bears returning to a "three yards and a cloud of dust" offensive approach that has been a hallmark of teams from the Windy City.

The acquisition of Cutler a season ago lifted the fans' hopes, and gave the franchise its first Pro Bowl quarterback in over 20 years.

Cutler, who earned Pro Bowl honors in 2008, was coming off a year in which he finished as the league's third-leading passer. In addition, he completed 55 passes of 20 yards or more, which ranked as the second-highest total in the league.

Given his stellar resume, Cutler was expected to revive a dormant Bears offense and lead the team on a deep postseason run.

The initial results were disastrous, however, as Cutler struggled making the transition to Ron Turner's offense and his perpetual indecisiveness led to a league-worst 26 interceptions. Chicago finished 23rd in total offense, while producing only 20.4 points a game.

With his offense stuck in neutral, Smith turned to his mentor, Martz, for help.

Martz, who hired Smith as his defensive coordinator while he was the head coach of the Rams, has an outstanding reputation for developing quarterbacks and building high-powered offenses. Martz helped transform what were lightly regarded players such as Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger into Pro Bowlers, and he was instrumental in Jon Kitna posting back-to-back 4,000-yard seasons in Detroit.

Although those players had the mental acumen and instincts to thrive in Martz's system, Cutler possesses better physical tools. With his outstanding arm strength and touch, Cutler has the ability to make the vertical throws. He also has the fearlessness and anticipation to effectively connect on short and intermediate routes.

In Martz's system, the quarterback is directed to throw the ball on time to designated spots on the field, and the receiver is expected to be there when it arrives. The intricate timing between thrower and catcher makes it nearly impossible to stop when executed properly, but some quarterbacks are never able to grasp the anticipation aspect of the system and tally a high number of interceptions as a result.

In addition to anticipation and awareness, quarterbacks must have the courage to stand tall in the pocket against a host of rushers. Martz prefers to release all eligible receivers into the route regardless of the pressure, and rely on the quarterback to find the "hot" receiver to defeat the rush. While this approach exposes the quarterback to a lot of punishment, it results in big plays for the offense when the timing and anticipation is on point.

In looking at the Bears' first two games, the beauty of Martz's system has been on full display. Although Cutler has taken a bit of a beating in the pocket, he has routinely picked apart the coverage, and has connected on 68.8 percent of his passes while tossing five touchdowns against only one interception. Those numbers are even more remarkable when factoring in his league-leading 10.1 yards per attempt average and 121.2 passer rating.

Throw in the fact that he is posting this kind of production without an established No. 1 receiver on the roster, and it is obvious that the marriage between Cutler and Martz is off to a good start.

The Bears are sitting atop the NFC North by throwing caution into the wind, and the newfound approach may result in Jay Cutler nabbing the league's Offensive Player of the Year award to accompany a division crown at season's end.

Offensive Player of the Year

1. Jay Cutler, Bears, QB (4): See above.

2. Peyton Manning, Colts, QB (2): The four-time MVP put together a workmanlike performance against the Giants (20 of 26 passes for 255 yards with three touchdowns) that has showcased his trademark accuracy and efficiency. Manning currently ranks as the league-leader in passing yards, touchdowns and passer rating.

3. Chris Johnson, Titans, RB (1): The dazzling speedster saw his 12-game streak of 100-yard rushing days end at the hands of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but provided a sensational "what if" moment with a 85-yard jaunt that was nullified by a penalty. While he is well off the pace for a 2,000-yard season, he continues to stake his claim as the league's most explosive offensive player with his weekly highlight runs.**

4. Matt Schaub, Texans, QB (NR): After a quiet opening week, Schaub used a 497-yard passing performance to throw his hat into the ring as one of the league's top offensive performers. With the league's best receiver (Andre Johnson) at his disposal, Schaub is on track to retain his crown as the league's top passer.

5. Michael Vick, Eagles, QB (5):
The electrifying playmaker continues to dazzle as a fill-in for the Eagles. In defeating the Lions, Vick accounted for 321 yards of total offense with two scores, and set the stage for a quarterback controversy in Philly.

Previously rated: Arian Foster, RB, Texans (3).

Most Valuable Player

1. Aaron Rodgers, Packers QB (3): The Packers' offensive juggernaut continues to roll behind his sensational play in the pocket. With Ryan Grant sidelined for the season, Rodgers will have to shoulder a heavy burden to keep the Packers on a title track.

2. Drew Brees, Saints, QB (2): That late drive to beat the Niners showed why Brees is one of the league's best.

3. Jay Cutler, Bears, QB (NR): See above.

4. Tom Brady, Patriots, QB (1): The former league MVP is back to all-star form, but his shaky second-half performance against the Jets cost the Patriots a chance to shoot to the top of the division.

5. Peyton Manning, Colts, QB (NR): See above.

Previously rated: Chris Johnson, RB, Titans (4), Ray Lewis, LB, Ravens (5).

Defensive Player of the Year

1. Clay Matthews, Packers, OLB (1): Matthews has been an absolute terror for the Packers off the edge, tallying a league-leading six sacks. His relentless pressure has made opposing quarterbacks uneasy in the pocket.

2. James Harrison, Steelers, OLB (5): The former Defensive Player of the Year has been sensational in the Steelers' two wins. Harrison continues to pummel quarterbacks from the blind side (three sacks), and produce the game-changing turnovers (two forced fumbles) that have keyed the team's surprising start.

3. Mario Williams, Texans, DE (NR): Williams has started to cement his status as one of the league's premier pass rushers with his stellar play this season. His three-sack outing against the Redskins showcased the dynamic talents that have made him nearly impossible to block off the edge.

4. Karlos Dansby, Dolphins, LB (NR): The Dolphins' marquee free agent has added another dimension to the unit with his timely playmaking. His big hit on fourth-and-goal against the Vikings is the latest example of the kind of game-changing presence that Dansby has added to the middle of the Dolphins' defense.

5. Ray Lewis, Ravens, LB (NR): The 15-year veteran is still playing at a high level as the centerpiece of the Ravens' defense. Though he has lost a step or two, he remains one of the game's top playmakers and continues to show it on a weekly basis.

Previously rated: Julius Peppers, DE, Bears (2), Adrian Wilson, S, Cardinals (3), Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Giants (4).

Offensive Rookie of the Year

1. Jahvid Best, Lions, RB (3): The Lions' rookie has been better than advertised. Best has provided explosive plays as a runner and receiver, and emerged as a dynamic complement to Calvin Johnson.

2. Sam Bradford, Rams, QB (1): Bradford didn't post outstanding numbers against the Raiders (14-of-25 passing for 165 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception), but continues to demonstrate poise and maturity beyond his years.

3. Dez Bryant, Cowboys, WR (4): It is only a matter of time before Bryant becomes a major factor in the Cowboys' offense. He had already shown a penchant for delivering big plays in the passing game, but his 62-yard punt return touchdown showcased his skills in the return game.

4. Demaryius Thomas, Broncos, WR (NR): Thomas' impressive debut (eight receptions for 97 yards and a touchdown) showed that he is more than a capable replacement for the departed Brandon Marshall.

5. Aaron Hernandez, Patriots, TE (NR): Hernandez is quietly becoming a difference-maker in the Patriots' passing game. He has tallied four receptions of 20 yards or more, and his 20.9 yards per catch average leads all rookies with at least five receptions.

Previously rated: Ryan Mathews, RB, Chargers (3), C.J. Spiller, RB, Bills (5).

Defensive Rookie of the Year

1. Ndamukong Suh, Lions, DT (3): Suh leads all rookies with two sacks, and his relentless harrassment of quarterbacks has keyed the Lions' improving defense.

2. Nate Allen, Eagles, S (NR): Although it is too early to proclaim Allen as the next Brian Dawkins, the rookie is showing signs of being a future all-star.

3. Eric Berry, Chiefs, S (NR): It is not a coincidence that the Chiefs' defense has been stellar since the arrival of Berry. His ability to blitz, run and cover has allowed the Chiefs to turn up the heat on opponents.

4. Sean Weatherspoon, Falcons, LB (NR): Weatherspoon has been an instant impact player for the Falcons. He not only leads the team in tackles, but his ability to provide pressure off the edge has helped diversify the pass rush.

5. Gerald McCoy, Buccaneers, DT (2): The Bucs' defensive revival has been sparked by McCoy's terrific play on the inside. Though his stat-line doesn't reveal his impact, his disruptive presence has allowed the team get after quarterbacks without relying extensively on the blitz.

Previously rated: Devin McCourty, CB, Patriots (1), Tyson Alualu, DT, Jaguars (4), Kareem Jackson, CB, Texans (5).

Coach of the Year

1. Gary Kubiak, Texans (3): The Texans sit atop the AFC South due to a series of gutsy calls made by Kubiak in critical moments. His decision to freeze Redskins' K Graham Gano paid off handsomely when the rookie badly missed a 52-yard attempt on his second try.

2. Mike Tomlin, Steelers (5): The Steelers jump out to a 2-0 record despite being down to their fourth-string quarterback. Tomlin sparked the Steelers' solid start against the Titans by calling for a reverse on the opening kickoff, which resulted in an 89-yard touchdown by Antonio Brown.

3. Todd Haley, Chiefs (NR): The kudos thrown in Haley's direction should also fall on the ears of offensive coordinator Charlie Weis and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel for their outstanding work rebuilding their respective units.

4. Raheem Morris, Buccaneers (NR): The Bucs' unbeaten start might be overlooked due to their soft schedule (Cleveland Browns and Carolina Panthers), but a closer look reveals a young team that is growing up quickly under Morris' direction.

5. Tony Sparano, Dolphins (NR): Sparano's work with the Dolphins has always been overlooked due to the looming presence of his mentor (Bill Parcells), but it is time to recognize him as one of the game's top coaches after watching his squads repeatedly dismantle top competition.

Previously rated: Pete Carroll, Seahawks (1), Bill Belichick, Patriots (2), Tom Coughlin, Giants (4).

I was going to start a thread on this very topic, but I see Bucky Brooks has already stolen my thunder, so I'll defer to him.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Has the same team ever had the MVP and DPOY? Favre was MVP '95-97 and Reggie White was DPOY before us and in '98, so no, we never did in my lifetime at least.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
beast (7m) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (13m) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (14m) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (15m) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16m) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (7h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (7h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (7h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (23h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
39m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.