Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100925/PKR01/100925043/Rookie-cornerback-Shields-to-face-real-test-against-Bears 

Philadelphia offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg did it just once.

Buffalos Curtis Modkins couldnt do it at all.

The genius Mike Martz should be more successful, right?

The Green Bay Packers are off to a 2-0 start with an undrafted rookie starting in its most used defensive subpackage the nickel. Forget that he wasnt drafted, Sam Shields played cornerback only one year at the University of Miami.

Shouldnt any NFL offensive coordinator worth his paycheck at least want to test Shields a few times?

I keep getting asked, he hasnt been tested, people didnt throw at him, Packers cornerback coach Joe Whitt said. Well, (Bills receiver Lee Evans) wasnt open, either. Thats one of the reasons people dont throw, when the guys not open.

Shields career is off to a better start than anyone imagined when he signed with the Packers over the summer. He was brought to Green Bay because of his speed and potential as a kick/punt returner. That experiment ended quickly because he had trouble fielding the ball, but Shields slowly moved up the cornerback depth chart during the preseason. He picked off two passes in preseason games and would have won the nickel job even if favorite Brandon Underwood hadnt hurt his shoulder, Whitt said.

Shields started and played the entire game in the 27-20 win in Philadelphia. He gave up a 17-yard touchdown from Michael Vick to Jeremy Maclin in the fourth quarter when he got turned around on a double move.

Shields was better in the 34-7 win against Buffalo.

The Packers didnt play much Cover-2 with a pair of safeties over the top. Because of the Bills trio of running backs Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and C.J. Spiller the Packers brought more help to the box and played a lot of single safety and press-man coverage. Shields lines up on the outside in the nickel, which left him matched up on Evans much of the game.

Evans didnt catch a single ball.

He didnt have help with him most of the game, he was by himself, Whitt said. We didnt do anything to protect him. The thing I was really pleased with, he went after the guy. He attacked him. He just physically really beat him and covered him well. Clay (Matthews) got great pressure on them, but a lot of the pressure came because the routes were not open up the field. And when they were open, they werent on Sams guy.

Now is he going to do that every week? Maybe not. Are there going to be growing pains? Sure there are. But the kid is mature enough to do what we ask him to do right now.

Many observers are waiting for those growing pains and fear this could be the week.

Martz has the Bears ranked No. 3 in the NFL in passing offense with an average of 316.0 yards through two games. Chicago finished 2009 ranked No. 17 with 217.1 yards a game.

Quarterback Jay Cutler leads the league with a 121.2 quarterback rating after throwing an NFL-high 26 interceptions last year five picks shy of Sid Luckmans single-season Bears record.

Theres a lot more passing going on (this week), so well see Monday night, Shields said. (The receivers) are all good route runners. Fast, quick. Ive just got to play on top. Thats my responsibility.

Dont let any deep balls, because they throw a lot of deep balls.

Coaches were impressed with the strides Shields made from Week 1 to Week 2. He played more aggressive, crushed a receiver on a crossing pattern and forced a fumble later in the game.

I think he played more confidently, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. I saw him, as the game went on, being aggressive on blockers. Where he was attacking their blocker instead of waiting and trying to play off.

Whitt said Shields has done everything the coaching staff has asked. Shields has spent hours watching film with reigning defensive player of the year Charles Woodson and most importantly has learned his assignments. Hes earned the trust that he will at least be in the right position.

Then its just a matter of making the most of opportunities which Shields has done enough of to keep the nickel job despite Underwood returning from injury with a full week of practice.

I know Im a rookie out there and theyll probably go after me, but they havent, Shields said. Theres still more games to come.

This is the game, me being a rookie, I really have to show my coaches and teammates I can be accountable. Being out there in big games, especially on Monday night. Thats my mindset right now.

Whitt echoed those sentiments.

All I care about is whos going to compete, whos going to play at a high level and whos going to do it on game day, Whitt said. Sam has shown he can do it on game day. If he continues to do that, he will keep getting his shot.

UserPostedImage
gbguy20
13 years ago
this is going to be fun to watch. hope they test him and he makes them pay for it.
tromadz
13 years ago
Oh Cutler will test him. Well actually he'll be testing his wide receivers.

If Shields just plays his game, he should be fine, but I wouldn't be shocked if he tests Shields just hoping to get lucky and draw a flag. I mean, the other option is testing the reigning DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR Charles Woodson. I mean, he could throw to Olsen, but he won't.

I have to say, Shields has been pretty decent after a terrible preseason. Long season though. Keep it up, kid! Cutler will give him some gifts. Cash those checks!
Dulak
13 years ago
This game sounds like it will be really exciting - give our players a real test ...

especially shields ... like the sound of this guy; he seems much better then underwood was last year. although not sure how he will do vs a team with a good qb and recievers
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Who are these "many observers" this author cites so vaguely? On Wikipedia we call phrases like that "weasel words."

Cite your sources, bitch.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago
He might give up a big play or two. Then again, so might Woody or Tramon. But if he does, he'll make up for it with an INT or a big play the other way. The dude's gutsy.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
evad04
13 years ago

Who are these "many observers" this author cites so vaguely? On Wikipedia we call phrases like that "weasel words."

Cite your sources, bitch.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

"Many observers" in this instance has an implicit meaning -- people who follow Green Bay. Sam Shields is far from a household name. Those that are aware of his undrafted free-agent-starting-nickel status -- like many on this forum -- are awaiting the seemingly inevitable growing pains. I don't really see the need for sources if it's general knowledge that people with Shields' inexperience typically experience growing pains at some point.

I'm all about going after the media for the things they do wrong (a lengthy list).
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Ah, so this "many observers" is akin to the "royal We"? Right, I keep forgetting that all articles are supposed to be editorials these days. Bleh.
UserPostedImage
evad04
13 years ago

Ah, so this "many observers" is akin to the "royal We"? Right, I keep forgetting that all articles are supposed to be editorials these days. Bleh.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

It's an article about Sam Shields getting tested against the Bears. You grasp the space-time continuum, right? The game hasn't been played yet -- how is article to exist without injecting opinion? It is a projection about how things are going down, and one that appropriately puts forth Shields' potential to experience some growing pains (as well as appropriately reflecting the concerns of, again, a ton of people on this forum).

It's nice that Shields has performed admirably so far, but it seems pretty logical to assume his inexperience may play a factor in his play this year.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
If he can cover evans i think he can cover knox 😛
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Fan Shout
beast (1h) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (1h) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (5h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
now / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

22h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.