Packers_Finland
13 years ago

The OL and run game have been dead sense Mike McCarthy arrived, giving no indication of future improvement.

"Chutzpah515" wrote:

We've ran above average since Mike McCarthy arrived. Seriously, go look up the stats.

The OL can be blamed on Campen.

And if you call me a Mike McCarthy apologist, you're gravely misinformed.
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
We had a 1,200 yard back the last two consecutive years while throwing for more than 4,000. I'd hardly say we had a poor running game.

Those who want to bash Ryan Grant, go for it, but know that he was a home run threat, SOMETIMES. John Kuhn is not. Brandon Jackson, is not. Therefore, no defense is going to worry about them until they prove otherwise, such as Ryan Grant has done.

Ryan is slightly above average and could have been a lot better if he had better vision.

Basically, if you have a RB that is not a threat to take it the distance, defenses will not worry bout you handing it off. Ryan Grant, like him or hate him, had the ability to break it for the distance.

Ryan's out for the year so we need to find someone to replace that threat. In my ignorant opinion, there's no chance in hell Brandon nor Kuhn have it in them to do so. Unfortunately, I think we have to wait for Nance or Starks and hope one of them can.
UserPostedImage
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Why would I do that? I was just giving a general time line. When McCarthy arrived in GB, Ahman Green was starting to lose steam.

The running game has been dead sense he left. The passing game in Mike McCarthy offense allowed them to manufacture a decant run game. GB has lacked a truly dynamic run game for a long time. The design of Mike McCarthy system is the only reason Grant is a legit RB. Why they haven't drafted a best RB in the last 5 years is beyond me.
UserPostedImage
Chutzpah515
13 years ago
I like Grant, but you have to take his athletic ability at face value.
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago
Please, the Packers moved the ball up and down the field against the Bears. The offensive line isn't holding the team back right now. Yes, Julius Peppers lived in the backfield, but Julius Peppers is the most talented DE of the last decade. I'd argue Reggie White held that torch for about roughly two decades and then passed it on to Peppers, who will pass it on to Mario Williams.

These guys give the great ones a run for their money.

With that said, Bulaga is too good not to be on the field right now. Then again, I said that in training camp.
nerdmann
13 years ago
The Oline is a problem every year for the first 8 to 10 weeks. Then they go on a run to salvage the season.
TT's problem is that, to begin with, Mike McCarthy was requesting "smaller, quicker" offensive linemen. That did not work out at ALL. Those guys all pretty much sucked. Since he has been drafting the bigger stronger guys, he's been more successful. Giacomini didn't work out, but he was a later round developmental type pick. Sitton and Lang worked out. I think Newhouse will work out and Bulaga will work out fine. Spitz will be fine.
But yeah, I'm sick of Campen too. I'm sick of waiting until the end of the year to get production.
As for the running game, Grant is a good RB, but he's not a guy who's gonna run screens, get the corner or make people miss. He's a guy who's gonna get what's there and then run up the back of his blockers. Pound him in the middle, and that's about it. We need someone to complement that. Starks could be the guy. Or Porter, but we have to wait a certain number of weeks to resign him, since we waived him injured.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

The OL and run game have been dead sense Mike McCarthy arrived, giving no indication of future improvement.

"Chutzpah515" wrote:

I'll take that any day of the week (run game) considering how much McCarthy has helped Rodgers and this offense.

Our offense has been elite every since '07 (maybe earlier than that) IMO. That thanks in large part to McCarthy.

And I beg to differ that our run game has been dead. Ryan Grant has had 2 straight 1200 yard seasons and the year before that, he had 900 something in the last 10 or 12 games of the season.
UserPostedImage
go.pack.go.
13 years ago

"Chutzpah515" wrote:

Why would I do that? I was just giving a general time line. When McCarthy arrived in GB, Ahman Green was starting to lose steam.

The running game has been dead sense he left. The passing game in Mike McCarthy offense allowed them to manufacture a decant run game. GB has lacked a truly dynamic run game for a long time. The design of Mike McCarthy system is the only reason Grant is a legit RB. Why they haven't drafted a best RB in the last 5 years is beyond me.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Then why the fuck are you complaining about McCarthy?

Give me a break...
UserPostedImage
Chutzpah515
13 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

"Chutzpah515" wrote:

Then why the fuck are you complaining about McCarthy?

Give me a break...

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

Because he sucks as a HC. The way he throws from the "I" opens up the running game, which in turn opens up the pass through play-action. (classic WCO) How are you so sure his system is elevating the players? The players could very well be elevating his system.
UserPostedImage
Yerko
13 years ago

The Oline is a problem every year for the first 8 to 10 weeks. Then they go on a run to salvage the season.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Thank you for this first part nerdmann...

This is a coaching problem. A coach should have the oline "gelling" by week 1...at the latest week 2. It shouldn't take that long to get a close unit such as an offensive going.

Our offensive line has talent and even more talent sitting the bench.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (6h) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (22h) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (22h) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.