Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Ryan: Jets would have pursued Favre if Sanchez wasn't drafted 

* NFL.com Wire Reports
* Published: Oct. 4, 2010 at 02:31 p.m.
* Updated: Oct. 4, 2010 at 05:46 p.m.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Rex Ryan wanted Brett Favre flinging passes as his quarterback.

The Jets coach said Monday for the first time that he would have tried to bring Favre out of retirement last year to play another season in New York if the team hadn't drafted Mark Sanchez.

"There would have been some major recruiting done," Ryan said. "I can say that absolutely. And, maybe no one knows it or whatever, but I can promise you that's how I was feeling."

Favre briefly retired after playing with New York in 2008, when he injured his shoulder down the stretch and slumped. The Jets missed the playoffs after an 8-3 start, and it cost coach Eric Mangini his job.

After Ryan was hired as coach, he hoped Favre would stick around -- despite the quarterback's late-season struggles.

"You look at the body of work, he was impressive," Ryan said. "He led the team to nine wins and one game out of the playoffs. He looked like Brett Favre to me."

Instead, Favre retired, was granted his release by the Jets and eventually unretired -- again -- and signed with Minnesota. Meanwhile, Ryan had never previously let on that he privately wanted Favre back.

"Well, I was hoping we would be able to draft Sanchez," Ryan said. "And, we did."

Ryan said he thought Favre was sincere in his desire to retire at that point, but thought he could've persuaded him to come back for another year with the Jets.

"Yeah, I do, yep," Ryan said. "Because he would have seen how sincere I was, and the kind of passion I have. I'm not going to say it's equal to his, but maybe it is. We both want to win, I know that."

Ryan has a proven track record as a recruiter since coming to New York, taking some unorthodox tactics to try to get his players. He drove to linebacker Bart Scott's house in the middle of the night to persuade him to sign last year, and flew down to Florida last month to talk with Darrelle Revis to help the tense contract negotiations.

The Jets will see Favre for the first time since he left the organization when they play the Vikings at home next Monday night.

Ryan said he "really never" talked with Favre other than the day he retired from the Jets. He said he simply told the quarterback how much he respected him.

"I think it was a tough time for him," Ryan said. "I mean, he's basically announcing his retirement from football and I wasn't going to stay on the phone with him. He doesn't know anything about me. I was just some random guy talking to him, so I kind of felt uncomfortable. I'm sure he did also."

The Jets ended up trading up in the draft a few months later and taking Sanchez with the No. 5 overall pick last year. The rookie helped lead the Jets to the AFC Championship Game, while Favre had one of the best seasons of career with 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions as the Vikings went to the NFC Championship Game.

"It worked out I'm sure for Brett and for the Jets," Ryan said. "We got a guy that's going to be the quarterback here for the next 10 years probably. And Brett Favre's a great player. Last year, those statistics, I kept saying, 'That can't be right.' I mean, the guy's a once-in-a-lifetime quarterback."

Ryan also revealed for that early in the recruiting process, the Jets were most impressed with Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman. That all changed when the team watched film and held workouts with Sanchez.

"Then it became clear," Ryan said, "that Sanchez was our guy."

Freeman ended up going to Tampa Bay with the 17th overall pick.
NFL Audio Pass

Don't miss any of the action with NFL Audio Pass, which gives you access to every game's radio calls. Find out more here.

Ryan also spoke about wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who is set to return to the team Monday after completing his four-game NFL suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"If you trade them, generally they don't know your system, but Santonio went all through training camp with us, he was here in meetings, we shouldn't miss a beat with him," Ryan said. "To add a terrific player like Santonio to what we already have ... it's good because Mark just throws it to the open guy."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

UserPostedImage
CDNRodgersfan
13 years ago
I actually think Ryan would of been a good fit for Favre cause he would of benched his ass if he played careless
GOPACKGO1225
13 years ago
This would be a soap opera waiting to happen.
Dexter_Sinister
13 years ago
I am going to agree with CDN. Favre needs to have a Coach that keeps him in line.

The problem is, if they try to keep him in line, he will exact his vengeance upon them and they will rue the day they ever crossed him.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Greg C.
13 years ago

I actually think Ryan would of been a good fit for Favre cause he would of benched his ass if he played careless

"CDNRodgersfan" wrote:

Benched him and ended the longest consecutive games streak in pro football history? No way. And he wouldn't have held him accountable either. You can tell by the quotes in this article that he had stars in his eyes just like Chilly. Ryan is a tough guy, but he is a player's coach.
blank
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I think the timing of this comment is to not motivate Brett against the Jets. If the Jets didn't play them, I think we read different quotes.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
13 years ago
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5658733 

"They asked if I wanted to come back," Favre said on a conference call with the New York media. "I was like, 'I don't want to go though surgery and all that stuff.'"

Looking back, Favre said he probably should've rested his shoulder, admitting his "accuracy was affected considerably." That, of course, would've meant the end of his legendary Iron Man steak, now at 288 consecutive starts in the regular season.

"I pressed the issue a little bit," he said. "Should I have sat down, taken some time off? Hindsight would say yeah, but I was determined to lead that team to victory and to the playoffs. When you're in that moment, it's hard to take a step back. I felt a considerable amount of responsibility."

So he knew he was hurting the team but still wanted to be the guy
Rockmolder
13 years ago
LTF, did Favre steal your high school sweetheart?
longtimefan
13 years ago

LTF, did Favre steal your high school sweetheart?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

No just my crocs

:birdman:
longtimefan
13 years ago
In all seriousness?

I can't stand how people defend him so anytime I can I will point out any and every fault he has..

I know people say I have a problem, maybe I do, but I dont give a fuck eh?

I respect how great of player Brett is/was

I respect what he has done for the ENTIRE league

I respect what he done for the Pack, the city of Green Bay

I respect what he DOES for charities and people that look up to him

I DO NOT RESPECT how he weaseled his way out of Green Bay

I always liked Ted and I don't want to say I dislike him now," he said. "I'm disappointed."

Ted and I, I thought, have always had a good relationship. We don't talk a whole lot. We don't go out and eat and shoot the bull. But on three different occasions -- I don't want to say "lied," I think that's kind of a harsh word, but I think "untruth" or whatever is better. When first he took over as the GM, I was wishy-washy on my decision, if that's what you went to call it.

Then this from the Greta interview

Exclusive: Brett Favre 'On the Record' - Greta Van Susteren | On The Record With Greta - FOXNews.com

I said, You're right. You're absolutely right. And I said, But Mike -- and it was a good conversation, and we've always had good communication, the two of us. And I said, You're right. I totally agree. I was not 100 percent committed. And I said, But you guys wanted an answer in March, and I gave you the honest answer. And I said, you know, Had I been able to wait until training camp, that would have been great. He said, Well, why didn't you tell me that? We would have let you do it.

And I thought to myself, Well, you know, you told me before the draft, free agency. And he ended up drafting two kids in the draft. So that kind of tells you..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thompson flew to Favre's Mississippi home, and the quarterback thought the general manager was there to ask him to come back. Instead, Thompson told him that the team was going to do something special for him: dismantle his locker and send it to him.

"That was the craziest thing I ever heard of," Favre said. "What the hell am I going to do with a locker anyway? So, I said, 'OK, Ted, that's great.'"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FAVRE: I mean, I've always been a Packer. I always will be a Packer. Do I play somewhere else? That remains to be seen. But I don't want to go back there just to stick it to them.

Brett Favre on retirement, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, more - Peter King - SI.com

~~~~~

I have to admit now, was sticking it to Ted,'' he said in a rather startling admission.

I dont care how they supposedly treated him up until this point...

He should not call out Ted for telling "untruths" then not tell them his true feelings such as telling Ted great about the locker..WTF??

If you hate Ted doing that then dont do it your self..that is called hypocrisy

Brett Favre on retirement, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets,

more - Peter King - SI.com

aas he told Ed Werder in his weekend ESPN interview,all he heard from the Packers after the 2007 season was "crickets,'' meaning he thinks they wanted him to walk away -- he was a convincing retiree.

Brett heard crickets? cuz he did say Mike McCarthy was calling him every week..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382744,00.html 
Mike McCarthy called every week. Mike would call, Hey, how's things going, you know? Where are you at with your decision?

Favre still unsure if he'll play this year - JSOnline

Favre acknowledged that the money being offered by Packers president Mark Murphy was not in exchange for him not to report to training camp.

He said that has been incorrectly portrayed in some media reports.

~~~~

Favre says of situation: 'This probably isn't going to work' - NFL - ESPN
"Then," Favre said, "they tried to buy me off to stay retired."

Wtf? One week to AL Jones it WASNT a bribe then the VERY next week he changes it to a bribe?

Those things are black and white to me..No fine line, no different ways to interrupt his words..

THAT is the person I can not stand and I absolutely hate the fact that he has people fooled
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

15h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.