Chutzpah515
13 years ago
http://www.freep.com/article/20101005/SPORTS01/101005002/Packers-Charles-Woodson-steps-up-against-Lions 

Thats what it most often comes down to when two NFL teams meet.
On Sunday, Charles Woodsons talent prevailed again.
The Green Bay Packers were perilously close to having their 19-game home winning streak against the Detroit Lions snapped at Lambeau Field, until the former Wolverine decided enough was enough and put the game in his pocket.
He did it with a 48-yard interception return for a touchdown at the start of the third quarter and with a pair of pass breakups on the Lions final two offensive plays of the night. The Packers won, 28-26.
What can I say? safety Nick Collins said. Hes a great player. Im just glad to be a part of what hes doing. To be dominant year in and year out, its hard. Every year he brings something new to his game.
Woodson was given the assignment of covering the Lions Calvin Johnson wherever the enormously talented receiver went.
Johnson got the best of him in the first half with five catches for 72 yards, including a 21-yard touchdown at the end of the half in which Johnson simply out-leaped him for the ball.
Woodson also had an 11-yard pass interference penalty.
The Lions short-passing game also put Woodson in position to come off of Johnson and take on ball carriers in the open field.
Though he missed a tackle on running back Kevin Smith and had to work to get tight end Brandon Pettigrew down, he led all tacklers with 10 in the first half.
Hes always around the ball, coach Mike McCarthy said. I dont know how many tackles he had today, but my goodness. I know he had to have a bunch of them.
Woodson went from tackler to game breaker at the start of the first half when quarterback Shaun Hill and Johnson messed up the timing on a slant route.
Woodson scraped the ball off the ground. He took off down the right sideline, holding the ball like a loaf of bread before diving in from a couple of yards out for the touchdown.
It was a milestone touchdown for Woodson in a number of ways.
It was the 10th interception return for a touchdown in his career, moving him into third place in NFL history behind Rod Woodson (12) and Darren Sharper.
It was his eighth interception return for a touchdown with the Packers, breaking Herb Adderleys team mark of seven, and his ninth defensive touchdown, which further extends his club record.
It was the third consecutive season in which he has had an interception return for a touchdown against Detroit, making him the first player in NFL history to pull the trifecta against an opponent.
I know where Im at as far as how many touchdowns I have, so it was big today for me to get to 10 career, Woodson said.
For the Packers defense, which played an exhausting 78 snaps, the game came down to a final Lions series inside Packers territory. The Lions needed a field goal to win it and on second and 9 at the 37, they were still too far away for a Jason Hanson attempt.
Johnson lined up on the left side of the formation and ran a slant with Woodson trailing. As the ball arrived, Woodson stuck out his right hand and deflected it to force third down.
On the next play, Johnson lined up on the right side and ran a slant again. This time, Woodson bumped him right up to the legal 5-yard zone and draped his arms around Johnson, causing an incompletion. The Lions wanted pass interference, but the officials let the contact go.
It was just a slant, and I was able to get my hands on the ball and get it out, keep it from being a completion, (and them) getting closer to field goal position, Woodson said. It was one of those things, you read your keys, you go back to your film and look at the offensive set and you can anticipate some things.
You never know for sure if thats exactly what theyre going to do. But its all about preparation. You put yourself in position to make a play.

UserPostedImage
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
Ya I love woodson to death hands down one of the best players on the field every game.He makes plays every game,I think he plays better against the lions because Michigan is his home who knows 😛 .I think last year he made a statement with the Heisman pose in the lions stadium making a name for the home town state.
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Chutzpah515
13 years ago
It's amazing how much Woodson's career has taken off after coming to Green Bay. Hopefully he can continue to break records long into the future.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
That 2nd down play looked incredible from the stands. He looked absolutely spent after diving to break up the pass. What a gut check performance.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Woodson is probably one of my three favorite players.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins, all my favorite players seem to be playing less amazingly this year.

Woodson has had great plays, but has also had more bad ones than last year.

Rodgers has been up and down, too.

And the less said about the performance of probably my single most favorite player, Mark Tauscher, the better.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Pack93z
13 years ago
I thought Woodson played a hell of a game Sunday.. Johnson is just that good and that long to make plays... Johnson's touchdown over Woodson was more Johnson making a play than Woodson not.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
jdog2
13 years ago
I love the fact once Woodson got the ball the whole defense gets offensive. Everyone was blocking. Nick Collins just starts running to block for Woodson.
blank
Greg C.
13 years ago
It's funny. Yesterday when I drove home from work I heard Doug Gottlieb of ESPN radio saying that Woodson played a really bad game, and that his interception return gave people the illusion that he played well. I wanted to call Gottlieb and ask if he had actually watched the game. He probably just watched the Sportscenter highlights.
blank
Pack93z
13 years ago
Right next to Cowherd.. Gottlieb is at the bottom of the Sport Talk radio bottom of the barrel, but at least Cowherd has some substance to his claims.. Gottieb is clueless... I guarantee they watch or understand little about the game of football.. Cowherd was banging all day on Rodger choking and mistake prone. That he failed in the Cardinal game.. I am like really man.. did you watch that game.. Rodgers and the offense was the only reason that game was close.

And he kept talking about the fatal error in the Chicago game.. the grounding call.. yet Brady repeated about the same throw with no flag last night and is praised for it.

Sometimes I wonder why I listen to sport radio.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago

Right next to Cowherd.. Gottlieb is at the bottom of the Sport Talk radio bottom of the barrel, but at least Cowherd has some substance to his claims.. Gottieb is clueless... I guarantee they watch or understand little about the game of football.. Cowherd was banging all day on Rodger choking and mistake prone. That he failed in the Cardinal game.. I am like really man.. did you watch that game.. Rodgers and the offense was the only reason that game was close.

And he kept talking about the fatal error in the Chicago game.. the grounding call.. yet Brady repeated about the same throw with no flag last night and is praised for it.

Sometimes I wonder why I listen to sport radio.. lol.

"pack93z" wrote:

Gottlieb is my least favorite because he tries too hard to be provocative without knowing much about the topic. Cowherd is frustrating because I think he can be very good at times, but at other times he gets hung up on some opinion that may or may not be valid and he just will not let it drop. His "Aaron Rodgers is a choker" schtick is obviously one of my least favorites.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (3h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (5h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (5h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (5h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (5h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

45m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.