Formo
13 years ago

Horrible team to root for? Aren't the football Gophers 1 - 6 and just fired their coach?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yes, horrible.

Better dead than red.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Formo
13 years ago
Also, forgot to mention. Yes, our coach got fired. I remember when the Gophers basketball team couldn't even make the NIT a few years ago. Their coach got fired in mid-season. That opened up an opportunity to hire Tubby Smith. What a difference one guy can make in an organization. Last year, Tubby took a team that was ravaged by injuries and off-court incidents that caused suspensions and brought them to Minnesota's FIRST Big Ten championship game. And right now, the Gophers are well respected with many NCAA hoops gurus putting them in the top 25 with a ton of room to grow.

My point? The football squad is going through the same type of transition. The firing of Brew just made things very interesting in Minnesota. And judging by the recent press conference of Joel Maturi (Minnesota's AD), I'm pretty sure that the next guy they hire will be the Tubby Smith of the college football ranks.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Ah those Gopher colored glasses must be a fine set.. Gopher basketball isn't in the same dire class as their football program. But keep that dream alive.

Anyway.. major win for the Badgers in prime time.. that will only help their recruiting classes going forward.

Slightly worried about a Hawkeye letdown.. but it is nice to have our horses back upon the field.. Clay getting healthy, along with Toon and Gilbreath.. some of the young bucks stepping up on defense.. we don't have illusions of a national title.. but just the same could have a very fine season.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
13 years ago

Ah those Gopher colored glasses must be a fine set.. Gopher basketball isn't in the same dire class as their football program. But keep that dream alive.

"pack93z" wrote:

Don't worry, his Richie Blackmore glasses will be on the rest of the year. It's too bad the refs gave the Vikings the game yesterday. Now all the fans around here dug out all that purple crap and it's on full display.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
See... one.. two recruits off the win.. signature win baby. Suck on that Gopher boy. ;)

http://wisconsin.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1140894 

It didn't take long after Ray Ball's official visit to give his verbal commitment to the Wisconsin Badgers.

One day after returning home from Madison after UW's win over No. 1 Ohio State, Ball, a 6-foot-7, 320-pound offensive tackle, phoned the Badger coaching staff to alert them of his college decision.

"Ray just confirmed with Coach Pentello that he did commit to Wisconsin," Westerville South athletic director Scott Dorne informed BadgerBlitz.com moments ago.

Ball, who previously planned to take official visits to Kentucky and Michigan, is the 15th known verbal commitment in Wisconsin's 2011 recruiting class. He joins Tyler Marz as projected tackles in the current class.

BadgerBlitz.com caught up with Ball's uncle, Ted Briggs, early Monday afternoon. The following is a question and answer with Briggs.

How excited did Ray sound when you talked to him after he committed?

Briggs: He's been excited the whole time. I'm just excited for the guy just because he wasn't going to visit other places just to visit other places. But he's excited and he's been excited for a long time. I just always like him to have a comparison to things.

Ultimately, what do you think led to the decision for him to commit to Wisconsin? What was the main thing?

Briggs: You know, let me ponder that for a minute because there's a variety of things. All the coaches are super, super nice guys. Me and coach Joe Rudolph have a really, really good relationship and Coach Bret Bielema, all of them. That weighed heavily because they are really down to earth type coaches. Our biggest thing was getting a hold of that academic support team.

The academic support that they're going to provide us there is great. You can't lie about the atmosphere he was in. This past weekend really helped. We've been down there prior to that a couple of times just looking for other things outside of going down there amidst all the hoopla.

At the end of the day, and like I've told everybody I've talked to when we first started this process, Wisconsin is the very first college that I called because I know that they can appreciate a big tackle. They were the very first phone call I've ever made on his behalf. They've always had that advantage. Playing smash mouth really helps. They play that straight, smash-mouth, bust somebody in the face and get up field and get somebody else.

That's the style that Ray plays with?

Briggs: Yup, he plays downhill and pro-style.

That's a perfect fit then.

Briggs: Yup, he's in that system now. When he gets out of the playoffs - hopefully they'll win the state - we'll be working extra hard to get ready to come into Wisconsin. He'll do a lot of private training.

Is he on track to graduate in the spring or is he trying to get done early this December so he can get up for spring ball?

Briggs: We thought about that, but now because he has a certain class that he takes year round it didn't allow us to do that. Because we're taking this ASL-II (Sign Language) class it's for the whole year. We definitely had considered that but couldn't find a way around it.

What did the coaches say when you guys made the commitment?

Briggs: They were trying to get us to make a commitment for the past six months. They were ecstatic. I know they were a little on edge because we were going to visit three top-notch programs like Michigan State. We were also considering going out to UCLA so yeah, they were very, very pleased.

http://wisconsin.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1140661 

A win over the No. 1 team in the country was the icing on the cake for Trayion Durham, who committed to Wisconsin after taking his official visit this weekend.

"I committed to Wisconsin," Durham communicated to BadgerBlitz.com through text message late Sunday evening, one day after he watched UW defeat Ohio State, 31-18.

Durham is the 14th known verbal commitment in Wisconsin's 2011 class and the first running back. Though listed as a fullback, the 6-foot-1, 230-pound prospect has been told he could play a role very similar to that of John Clay as a Badger.

"They are recruiting me as a running back because of my size and versatility," Durham said in a past interview with this site. "They said once John Clay leaves, they want someone like him to step up and they want that person to be me."

Recruited by tight ends coach Joe Rudolph, Durham choose UW over offers from Minnesota, Boston College, Cincinnati, Louisville and Kentucky, among others.

The win over the Buckeyes could go a long way in landing two other Ohio natives as well. Wide receiver A.J. Jordan is expected to pick Wisconsin over Michigan on Wednesday and offensive lineman Ray Ball could give his verbal before the end of his senior season.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
MontanaBob
13 years ago
Great win for the Badgers. The game was on at the same time as Montana vs Portland State so I kept flipping back and forth. My wife thought I was nuts so she brought up an old TV from our extra bedroom downstairs and I watched both games at the same time.

My eyes are still having trouble focusing and keep moving back and forth in rapid succession.
Anyone for a Weenie Roast?
Formo
13 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

You are joking, right?

The Barn was empty when Monsoon was coaching his last half year. Gopher basketball was very well in the same dire class as the football program is in now. Who the hell have you been watching?!
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago

"DakotaT" wrote:

Don't worry, his Richie Blackmore glasses will be on the rest of the year. It's too bad the refs gave the Vikings the game yesterday. Now all the fans around here dug out all that purple crap and it's on full display.

"pack93z" wrote:

You are just pissed that your team can't nut up when needed.

I think it's cute you are getting frustrated at all the purple. Bottom line, my team won, yours lost.

Deal.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

You are joking, right?

The Barn was empty when Monsoon was coaching his last half year. Gopher basketball was very well in the same dire class as the football program is in now. Who the hell have you been watching?!

"pack93z" wrote:

Sure you had to clean up the mess that Haskins left.. What was his name.. Monsoon was a place holder for a couple of years.. but you had success in the era as well.. final four appearance, NIT Champs.. etc.

My point is simply this.. you have more to build upon in basketball than your long tenure as the bottom feeders of Big Ten football.. trust me the Badgers were once there.. it took a ton to get our program on track.. yearly respectability.

One man was able to rebound your basketball program.. I don't think there is a man alive that can save your football program likewise. 🙂
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
You're team didn't win, they fired their coach because they are 1 - 6 and blow Gophers!

Deal!
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (15h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (16h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (16h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (16h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (17h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (17h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (19h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.