Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/105143599.html 

Green Bay - There was rather large penalty called in this game, and it did have an impact (although it didn't win or lose anybody the game).

With 7:18 left in the game and the score tied at 13, Packers reserve linebacker Robert Francois was called for violating Rule 7, Section 2, Article 2, which states:

During a punt, field-goal attempt, or a Try Kick, a Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage at the snap, must have his entire body outside the snappers shoulder pads.

Immediately after the play, there didn't appear to be a flag on the field as the game went to a television timeout. During the delay in action, referee Ed Hochuli convened with some officials and then called the penalty on Francois.

The 5-yard infraction gave the Dolphins a first down, instead of the Packers with possession at the 9-yard line.

The Dolphins converted the penalty into a touchdown to go up 20-13 with 5:20 remaining.

Hochuli was asked about the penalty by a pool reporter after the game, here's what he had to say:

[ul]Q: Can you explain the illegal formation penalty on the Dolphins fourth-quarter punt?

Hochuli: Thats actually a new rule this year that on a punt, on any scrimmage kick, there cannot be a player on the defense within a yard of the line of scrimmage over the center. Hes got to be outside the centers shoulders or else hes got to be back more than a yard off the line, and thats judged by whether, does he have a foot or any part of his body up within, if you look from the sideline, up within the linemen that are down on the ground. And he did. So that was what the penalty was, a five-yard penalty.

Q: Why did it take so long for the penalty to be called?

Hochuli: It is a penalty that takes more than one person to actually see. Youve got one official whos looking and he sees that theres a man directly over the center. After the play, then he has to check with the two guys that are on the line of scrimmage to see if that man was up within a yard of the line. And so it takes that communication between the officials. I had already gone to the commercial for after the punt, which we went out, we punched out. So thats why everything was then done after we came back from commercial.

Q: Did the penalty process start immediately after the punt?

Hochuli: Absolutely. Immediately the first thing we did, I punched out, then we went, we talked, we had the conversation, determined it was a penalty, threw a flag, then I went and explained it to the Green Bay coach.

Q: Did the TV timeout contribute to the delayed call?

Hochuli: Yes, thats why it seemed like it was longer.[/ul]

Here are Mike McCarthy's comments about the penalty:

[ul]The penalty over the snapper, the communication was Robert Francois was lined up with his head up on the snapper. Robert was lined up a yard and a half from the snapper. The intent of the rule is to protect the snapper and why and how that was called at that critical point in the game, it obviously was a big play in the game for Miami. But the picture everybody saw on the scoreboard, the communication on the sideline, the officiating crew took plenty of time to discuss it between the series change on whether to throw the late flag. We tried to communicate to them that he was a yard off the ball, a yard and a half off the ball. But they felt they couldnt, the communication that was given, they could not change that back. So, they felt that he was head up on the snapper, thats the communication I was given.[/ul]

Our view:
UserPostedImage

While Francois was not a yard-and-a-half off the ball as McCarthy claims (maybe that far from the center's head) Francois was around a yard and maybe a few inches more from the ball. The penalty shouldn't have been called.

UserPostedImage
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
MM was Pissed off on this play he was screaming at the officials Bad Call imo.
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
rabidgopher04
13 years ago
From that photo he is clearly at least 1 yard away from the ball. Looks like a bogus call to me. Very disappointing.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Looks like the ball is on the right side of the 44 and Robert is on the 43.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
13 years ago
Clearly he was over a yard from the ball when the picture was taken. Whether he stayed that far away until the ball was snapped is something that the picture cannot tell us.
blank
nerdmann
13 years ago

Clearly he was over a yard from the ball when the picture was taken. Whether he stayed that far away until the ball was snapped is something that the picture cannot tell us.

"Greg C." wrote:

He didn't rush the punter, though. My understanding is he fell back to block for the return. So the whole thing is just the biggest crock of shit I ever heard in my entire life. Seriously, this thing is BIGGER than that Calvin Johnson bullshit. That was just more visible.
Both are incidents in which the referees ALTERED the outcome of a game, not based on anything a player did. Integrity of the game.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Dulak
13 years ago
If the game ended with us having 20 and the fins 13 I would say it altered the game.
We all know how it ended and what happened in OT.

btw nice analysis zero on that call.
Greg C.
13 years ago

"nerdmann" wrote:

He didn't rush the punter, though. My understanding is he fell back to block for the return. So the whole thing is just the biggest crock of shit I ever heard in my entire life. Seriously, this thing is BIGGER than that Calvin Johnson bullshit. That was just more visible.
Both are incidents in which the referees ALTERED the outcome of a game, not based on anything a player did. Integrity of the game.

"Greg C." wrote:

What he did after the snap is irrelevant. The rule is about where the player lines up.

I do think that this may be a case of the NFL making an unnecessary rule. Supposedly the rule is to prevent defenders from getting a free shot at the center and knocking him on his butt, but I don't remember that being a problem to begin with. If it was, why wouldn't it happen on plays from scrimmage?
blank
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
This was a terrible call, and cost us huge. The drive continued to a TD. He wasn't on the LOS never should have been called. We go the benefit on the 4th down we "Stopped" Mia, we got screwed on this, a missed illegal contact/PI on Rodgers INT on the sideline, and Woodson getting ran over and called illegal contact(no game impact).

Officiating has been terrible and very inconsistent at best.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
yooperfan
13 years ago

This was a terrible call, and cost us huge. The drive continued to a TD. He wasn't on the LOS never should have been called. We go the benefit on the 4th down we "Stopped" Mia, we got screwed on this, a missed illegal contact/PI on Rodgers INT on the sideline, and Woodson getting ran over and called illegal contact(no game impact).

Officiating has been terrible and very inconsistent at best.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

My buddy Pete and I were sitting in Lambeau basking in the sun with our wives prior to the game, when suddenly Pete said, we got Hochulis' crew today this is not good.
And sure enough it was not good.

I hate to cry about officiating but it seems that the Packers aren't on the receiving end of breaks handed out by officials.
These officials were roundly booed by the Packers faithful, including my wife who doesn't believe in booing, and deservedly so.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10m) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (21h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

46m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

48m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.